Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

marko93 wrote: »
    That's perfect then, never done anything like this before, so wouldn't have a clue about a 5km route to do it on.

The one I'm using tells me I'm halfway there.
    When I was looking for a good route to do it on, I used Runkeeper and went for a walk - it clocks up the KM as you're going, so you can see when you're at 2.5k :)
    I run the same road each time so I know how far I've gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

The one I'm using tells me I'm halfway there.
    When I was looking for a good route to do it on, I used Runkeeper and went for a walk - it clocks up the KM as you're going, so you can see when you're at 2.5k :)
    I run the same road each time so I know how far I've gone.

I'll have to do that myself to be sure before I start, thanks for the advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I used C25K by Zen Labs. It tells you "You are half way." I'm delighted when I hear that! I use Runkeeper at the same time and it tells you how long and at what pace you are running every 5 minutes. It helps motivate me to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

just run a PB of 24:23 for 5km this morning - change in stride pattern and breathing helped a massive amount. bloody over the moon as i tagged mid may for a sub 25min so ahead of my goals.... ;-) - hoping for a race during the summer when footy season is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

BrookieD wrote: »
    just run a PB of 24:23 for 5km this morning - change in stride pattern and breathing helped a massive amount. bloody over the moon as i tagged mid may for a sub 25min so ahead of my goals.... ;-) - hoping for a race during the summer when footy season is over.

Jesus that's a fantastic time! Well done - took me almost 17 minute to do 2.5 last week so you are an inspiration to me haha :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Jesus that's a fantastic time! Well done - took me almost 17 minute to do 2.5 last week so you are an inspiration to me haha :)
    - keep going dude, only back running 4 weeks now so delighted and can see the imporvements coming thick and fast. Feel much better, more energy, not eating as much rubbish and in general just feel a whole heap better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

BrookieD wrote: »
    - keep going dude, only back running 4 weeks now so delighted and can see the imporvements coming thick and fast. Feel much better, more energy, not eating as much rubbish and in general just feel a whole heap better :D

Fantastic going brookieD. My first uninterrupted 20 minute run coming up Sunday. Should be tomorrow, but going on the beer tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be another wash out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Fantastic going brookieD. My first uninterrupted 20 minute run coming up Sunday. Should be tomorrow, but going on the beer tonight and tomorrow is supposed to be another wash out.

I too have to run tomorrow after some very heavy sauce tonight. Should be... interesting.

I don't mind running in the rain. I kinda like it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I too have to run tomorrow after some very heavy sauce tonight. Should be... interesting.

I don't mind running in the rain. I kinda like it actually.

Not doing it long enough to accept it yet. Worried about running my running shoes. Of course, I am sure they are actually up to the job or there races would be cancelled every time it rained. :rolleyes:
    Was suffering horribly this morning, did not even go on a mad session, just 5 beers. At this stage lack is sleep is my only issues. An early night tonight if I ever get round to cooking. :D Early rise tomorrow and then the big 2 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

G-Money wrote: »
    Here's a post I made on the Couch to 5K thread on the Food Diary forum a few weeks ago. I guess it might be useful here too...

So I thought I'd just write up my own experience of the programme and hopefully, if you are finding it hard at times, this might just get you out of that slump.

When I started Couch to 5K, I'd been doing a lot of walking in the previous 4-5 weeks. So when it came to Week 1 of Couch to 5K, I found the 60 second jog's ok-ish. They were not super easy but I wasn't completely exhausted like I had expected I would be.

This soon changed though when I began Week 2. It consisted of 90 second jogs and 2 minutes walking if I remember correctly. Suddenly the 60 second jogs seemed easy compared to the 90 second jogs and this was a trend I noticed for several weeks after starting the programme - the previous week's workout which seemed so hard at the time, was now quite easy.

I got to week 4 which I think had 5 minute jogs and I have to admit, this was when I hit rock bottom with the programme. I was barely, barely, barely able to jog for 5 minutes and I'd get so upset and frustrated at the end of each 5 minute jog that I felt like giving up. As I'd be doing the recovery walks between the jogging I'd be thinking to myself "This is a waste of time, I'm never going to be able to jog for 20 minutes, or 30 minutes or whatever. It's impossible, I can't do it, I don't know how anyone else can either".

These were the types of thoughts that were running through my head at the time.

So with a heavy heart and even heavier legs, I completed Week 4 and I could fool myself no longer, I wasn't ready to move onto week 5. Until that point I hadn't repeated a week even though if I'm completely honest, I didn't always feel ready to move onto the next week's schedule. However this time I'd gone as far as I could go.

I was barely able to jog for 5 minutes, even after Day 3 of Week 4 and seeing week 5 consisted of 8 minute jogs, I knew I was simply not ready to do it. That wasn't me being negative, it was me being realistic. It was a bridge too far for me.

So I went back and began week 4 all over again. I felt a little disappointed in myself that I had to go back and repeat a week. I guess part of it was shame that I'd let myself get so unfit and overweight that I had to repeat a week rather than moving forward.

But something amazing happened then during week 4! I completed Day 1, it went ok. I then completed Day 2 and I don't know what happened but I just felt like I'd broken through some barrier that was holding me back. I think I might have jogged slightly slower or something, I'm not quite sure. But it's accurate to say that repeating week 4 saved me from packing the whole thing in.

After that repeat of Week 4 Day 2, I KNEW I could do the 8 minute jogs. I just knew it. So I waited and went out and began Week 5 a couple of days later. And I didn't look back after that.

Now, don't for a second think I'm some gifted athlete or I have some special ability to run, because I'm not and I don't. I run very, very slowly and not very gracefully. I'd be one of the slowest people around, but I can now do 7K non-stop. I could do a longer distance than 7K, although I would need to add in some energy drink or something as I can occasionally feel myself getting hungry when I run.

There will be bad times when you are running. Times when you're just not enjoying it. It will feel like a hard slog with little or no reward for it. During those times, I say just put your head down, try to think about something else and crank out the workout anyway.

The positive side is that you get to experience something I like to call the "Euphoria Workouts". This is when you start to run and something amazing happens. You start to feel good. And I mean really good. You feel like you have limitless energy and speed.

There are times when it happens to me and I almost feel a little emotional or something and I feel the wind washing over my face and I have this gentle voice in my head saying "Faster, faster, faster..." And I keep going faster. It truly is amazing and once you experience it, you will always want to recreate it. It's hard to forget about those workouts but it's easy not to think of them when you are going through the hard slog.

So if you are feeling depressed and demotivated and feel like giving up, just stick with it.

Usually when you hit rock bottom, that's when you bounce back up.

I hope it's ok to drag up a thread to say thanks.
    This post inspired me to start the couch to 5k today :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

rustyzip wrote: »
    I hope it's ok to drag up a thread to say thanks.
    This post inspired me to start the couch to 5k today :)

That's brilliant rustyzip! Best of luck with it. I started there too and haven't stopped since!
    Don't worry about the paces you're running at all. Slow it down as much as possible to cover the running section and enjoy it! Use this log to post your progress too if you want and any questions you may have. There'll be someone along to help you out.
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Ososlo wrote: »
    That's brilliant rustyzip! Best of luck with it. I started there too and haven't stopped since!
    Don't worry about the paces you're running at all. Slow it down as much as possible to cover the running section and enjoy it! Use this log to post your progress too if you want and any questions you may have. There'll be someone along to help you out.
    Good luck :)

Aw thanks.
    I went for a 40 minute walk and incorporated 3 x 60 second run/fast jog.
    That was a big deal for me as I haven't run in about 20years and am grossly unfit.
    Really looking forward to this journey :)

rustyzip wrote: »
    Aw thanks.
    I went for a 40 minute walk and incorporated 3 x 60 second run/fast jog.
    That was a big deal for me as I haven't run in about 20years and am grossly unfit.
    Really looking forward to this journey :)

Great stuff! You won't regret it. Promise :)
    Make sure you have decent comfortable runners and follow the plan to the letter but don't be afraid to step things back if you feel any signs of injury coming on. Half the battle is getting through it injury-free.

I know all about being grossly unfit :) but that will all change for you very quickly!
    Keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nikkilc

Just downloaded the app and am going to start the program on Monday :)
    I am quite a healthy eater but not at all fit, so if I could complete the program before I go back in to 6th year in September I'd be very proud of myself.
    I suffer from anxiety & stress and my doc recommended it as a stress reliever + a way to work some exercise into my lifestyle.
    I am hoping to be able to get to the stage where I'd be able to get up early for a little jog before school - I've heard a biteen of exercise can also boost memory retention?

nikkilc wrote: »
    I've heard a biteen of exercise can also boost memory retention?

I can't speak to that specifically, but it definitely makes me feel sharper and more alert in general. Less prone to depression too. It's wins all round. ;)

I am quite a healthy eater but not at all fit, so if I could complete the program before I go back in to 6th year in September I'd be very proud of myself.
    I suffer from anxiety & stress and my doc recommended it as a stress reliever + a way to work some exercise into my lifestyle.
    I am hoping to be able to get to the stage where I'd be able to get up early for a little jog before school - I've heard a biteen of exercise can also boost memory retention?

Fair play to you! Did the doctor specifically suggest Couch to 5k or just to take up a bit of running?
    Absolutely everything about running is positive and can improve all aspects of your life, physically and mentally (in my very biased opinion:)) so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it does help memory!

Fair play to you! Did the doctor specifically suggest Couch to 5k or just to take up a bit of running?
    Absolutely everything about running is positive and can improve all aspects of your life, physically and mentally (in my very biased opinion:)) so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it does help memory!

She just recommended exercise in general then asked me if I'd heard of Couch25k and said that might be a good option.
    I am quite an introverted person and enjoy quiet activities like reading, baking, listening to music etc and have never been a fan of sport (or good at it!) or exercise in the past..I guess jogging appeals to me because its something I can do alone (aka not feeling really self conscious of how silly/unfit I look to everyone around me + can go at my own pace.)

I've also been thinking about Zumba because she said, naturally, exercising wouldn't be such a chore if I could find something I actually ENJOY doing - and dancing is the one form of exercise I actually enjoy..but that's going slightly off topic!

She just recommended exercise in general then asked me if I'd heard of Couch25k and said that might be a good option.
    I am quite an introverted person and enjoy quiet activities like reading, baking, listening to music etc and have never been a fan of sport (or good at it!) or exercise in the past..I guess jogging appeals to me because its something I can do alone (aka not feeling really self conscious of how silly/unfit I look to everyone around me + can go at my own pace.)

I've also been thinking about Zumba because she said, naturally, exercising wouldn't be such a chore if I could find something I actually ENJOY doing - and dancing is the one form of exercise I actually enjoy..but that's going slightly off topic!

That's really impressive that she suggested Couch25k! Brilliant! I wish more doctors would do the same and not just rush to pills as the immediate answer to every problem. Fair play to her. Sounds like she's a keeper!

Sounds like jogging is the perfect exercise for you. I was the same when I started out- really self conscious. I wasn't overweight or anything, just very unfit like you say you are and people walking were sometimes faster than me! Just find a nice quiet (safe!) spot to run in. The summer is perfect time to be starting. The self-conscious feeling will go away in no time and you won't give a hoot, plus you will be faster :)
    Running can be as sociable or otherwise as you want it to be. That's the beauty of it.

I see people doing run/walk strategies in my local park all the time these days. Some of them do look very self-conscious but they have absolutely nothing to be worried about. Every more experienced runner has tons of respect for them and is delighted to see another new runner out on the road.

No reason not to give Zumba a shot too but you might end up enjoying running an awful lot more than you think you will now and it'll be enough for you.
    BEST OF LUCK! And don't forget to report back with progress!

That's really impressive that she suggested Couch25k! Brilliant! I wish more doctors would do the same and not just rush to pills as the immediate answer to every problem. Fair play to her. Sounds like she's a keeper!

Sounds like jogging is the perfect exercise for you. I was the same when I started out- really self conscious. I wasn't overweight or anything, just very unfit like you say you are and people walking were sometimes faster than me! Just find a nice quiet (safe!) spot to run in. The summer is perfect time to be starting. The self-conscious feeling will go away in no time and you won't give a hoot, plus you will be faster :)
    Running can be as sociable or otherwise as you want it to be. That's the beauty of it.

I see people doing run/walk strategies in my local park all the time these days. Some of them do look very self-conscious but they have absolutely nothing to be worried about. Every more experienced runner has tons of respect for them and is delighted to see another new runner out on the road.

No reason not to give Zumba a shot too but you might end up enjoying running an awful lot more than you think you will now and it'll be enough for you.
    BEST OF LUCK! And don't forget to report back with progress!

Seems I am the same as when you started out - I am not overweight - I've a healthy BMI and eat very healthily so I don't look unhealthy, but I know that I am just kidding myself if I don't do any form of physical activity :P
    I'll report back with progress...this thread is great as its some motivation and now I'll feel guilty if I scrap it after a week and have to report back I've given up ahah!

Seems I am the same as when you started out - I am not overweight - I've a healthy BMI and eat very healthily so I don't look unhealthy, but I know that I am just kidding myself if I don't do any form of physical activity :P
    I'll report back with progress...this thread is great as its some motivation and now I'll feel guilty if I scrap it after a week and have to report back I've given up ahah!

We won't mention the 15 fags I smoked a day for many years.........;) but besides that very healthy yeah:D

Great stuff. I expect a report on your first session very very soon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Running is brilliant for stress and anxiety because it uses up cortisol which is the stress hormone which your body can only produce a certain amount of so burning it off with excerise really helps in taking the edge off of daily stress and produces endorphins. Perfect combination for combating anxiety.

I came from a similar background to you and had chronic anxiety and couldn't even leave the house most of the time. Was on every med under the sun from Benzo's to SSRI's which never personally worked for me. Took up running and never looked back, my anxiety is near non-existent now. It's nearly impossible to feel self-conscious when you are putting in the effort to run and the confidence it gives you from knowing you are improving yourself is huge.

We were born to be active and exercise really is a wonderdrug for the soul.It'll take a little time to get used to but the payoff will be well and truly worth it.

Best of luck with it!:)

We were born to be active and exercise really is a wonderdrug for the soul.It'll take a little time to get used to but the payoff will be well and truly worth it.

Great post NE. I'm stealing the bolded bit:D Love it!
    Really agree about the endorphins bit. I feel like I've been on a constant, natural (free!) high for the last 3 years since I started!

Running is brilliant for stress and anxiety because it uses up cortisol which is the stress hormone which your body can only produce a certain amount of so burning it off with excerise really helps in taking the edge off of daily stress and produces endorphins. Perfect combination for combating anxiety.

I came from a similar background to you and had chronic anxiety and couldn't even leave the house most of the time. Was on every med under the sun from Benzo's to SSRI's which never personally worked for me. Took up running and never looked back, my anxiety is near non-existent now. It's nearly impossible to feel self-conscious when you are putting in the effort to run and the confidence it gives you from knowing you are improving yourself is huge.

Thanks so much for the info about the cortisol - I like when there's hard facts behind stuff ;) I've never taken any medication for anxiety - and I think my doctor only mentioned it the last time I went to see her as a scare tactic (She does that.) :P I was actually just in to see her about my skin as I've mild acne but when I was in she made me agree to make a plan for my life in LC - said if I didn't I'd end up on pills..
    I am an organized person and actually love planning so I don't mind that part...sticking to it is going to be the hard part :P

I've been putting this off for a bit now. I'm quite overweight and retain a little bit of fitness from Tip Rugby/Football every week.

I do have a question, what sort of pace should I be aiming for?

I've been putting this off for a bit now. I'm quite overweight and retain a little bit of fitness from Tip Rugby/Football every week.

I'd say whatever's comfortable. You don't want to set a pace and then overdo it or you risk injury, shin splints in particular come to mind. It's more important to do the time than the distance imo, so take it slow if need be.

You can always build up your pace later, but if you overdo it at the start you'll either give up because it's too hard, or stop yourself through injury.

Great stuff. Don't be worrying about pace at all. Seriously, the only target you should have is to run the running bits, no matter how slowly. It's best to do them very slowly so that you can complete the running sections fully, than to run too fast and find yourself too wrecked to do the full segments of running. When you complete the programme, then it's a good idea to do a Parkrun or 5k race. When you have that done, then you can start thinking about paces for training.
    Good luck!

I'd say whatever's comfortable. You don't want to set a pace and then overdo it or you risk injury, shin splints in particular come to mind. It's more important to do the time than the distance imo, so take it slow if need be.

You can always build up your pace later, but if you overdo it at the start you'll either give up because it's too hard, or stop yourself through injury.
    Great stuff. Don't be worrying about pace at all. Seriously, the only target you should have is to run the running bits, no matter how slowly. It's best to do them very slowly so that you can complete the running sections fully, than to run too fast and find yourself too wrecked to do the full segments of running. When you complete the programme, then it's a good idea to do a Parkrun or 5k race. When you have that done, then you can start thinking about paces for training.
    Good luck!

Thanks lads, really appreciate the advise! I'll keep it in mind when I break out the running shoes :p

Roll call:D How did Day 1 go nikkilc and did you take the plunge marko93?

Roll call:D How did Day 1 go nikkilc and did you take the plunge marko93?

In Cardiff till tomorrow! So I'll have to do 3 days in a row or wait till Monday or something!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

In Cardiff till tomorrow! So I'll have to do 3 days in a row or wait till Monday or something!

Dont do 3 days in a row, easy does it, there's no rush to crack on, can you run when you're back tomorrow or just pick up again on Thursday?

Advertisement