Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gay sites :(

• 05-07-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I basically hate them. I got talking to a guy that seemed sound, but got stood up. I'm really sick of these websites but it seems like its my own way of finding straight acting guys. I have never tried any gay bars/clubs however. I'm just wondering is it worth my while going to them, I hear mixed views on clubs and internet dating. I know its something I must try for myself to find out, would just like to hear your opinions. thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Rick_

You heard mixed reviews on internet dating, yet you still tried it, so why can't you try a gay club?

Don't listen to what others say, everyone has their own opinions. Go and experience it for yourself and make your own mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

You heard mixed reviews on internet dating, yet you still tried it, so why can't you try a gay club?

Don't listen to what others say, everyone has their own opinions. Go and experience it for yourself and make your own mind up.

That really is the best advise. People warned me off both but I found I enjoyed both (for a while). Like everything else in life, you get out of it what you put into it, keep an open mind and if all else fails, get blind drunk ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

They're generally fairly ****, its always 100% men and everyone is a weird sex crazed maniac looking for cam shows. I would stick to something like facebook or tagged or something, because then the people there are going to be there for friends as well as anything else. The GYC isn't bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

They're generally fairly ****, its always 100% men and everyone is a weird sex crazed maniac looking for cam shows. I would stick to something like facebook or tagged or something, because then the people there are going to be there for friends as well as anything else. The GYC isn't bad though.

After getting the best advice from the previous poster, thats the worst advice! :rolleyes:

Its complete bull that everyone is a "weird sex crazed maniac" have you even been on a gay dating website? Even gaydar isnt 100% like that and it seems to have the worst reputation!

To the original poster, you're going to get mixed views and Im not sure about bars but internet dating is definitely something you have to find out for yourself. Ive had 2 boyfriends as a result of internet dating and also had a few dates who turned into friends.

My advice is dont believe the hype that everyone wants sex. Yes there can be a lot who may seem sleezy but in my experience its not the vast majority unlike common belief.

Bars can be good fun if you go with mates, its another way to possibly meet someone. Speed dating is also a great way to meet lots of guys be that a potential boyfriend or just friends. Again its not everyones taste but I did it twice and had a lot of fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

which sites are good for meeting people for dates? I tried gaire and queerid and gaydar but none of them really worked - any others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Frei

Craigslist maybe? I don't know how active the Irish one is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Frei wrote: »
    Craigslist maybe? I don't know how active the Irish one is though.

dont think it is very active

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

.......... wrote: »
    which sites are good for meeting people for dates? I tried gaire and queerid and gaydar but none of them really worked - any others?

despite the name manhunt is an alright site! ive actually met some nice guys from that site :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 blackswan

You gotta try everything at least once I reckon...i'm not into the scene that much but the odd night out in the dragon or panti is a good laugh. dunno bout findin someone tho!
    I don't think it's fair to say that everyone on the gay site are sex crazed weirdos...i found my bf (or rather he found me!) on gaydar totally by chance one day when i logged on after months of not being on and we're still together 2 years later and madly in love.
    Try everything...but i think it's true what they say...you'll find someone when you least expect to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I find the stereotype that everyone on them is looking for sex to be pretty accurate.

Even guys who say in their profiles that they are "looking for a serious relationship" or "friends first" and the ever popular "not interested in one-nighters" tend to ignore you entirely if you're not looking to jump in bed at 2am on a Friday night.

Nobody seems to bother taking time to chat with others & try to get to know them.. at least not with the likes of me. (I wish I knew why.)

I try to be personable, and try to make it known that I'm looking for friends.. and yet all I get are propositions for sex.. and if I'm feeling randy & accept one.. I generally get stood up.

If anyone knows of ways to actually meet other gay men, in person, in settings that are not sexually charged.. please let me know what some of them are! :/

• Advertisement

Heebie wrote: »
    I find the stereotype that everyone on them is looking for sex to be pretty accurate.

Even guys who say in their profiles that they are "looking for a serious relationship" or "friends first" and the ever popular "not interested in one-nighters" tend to ignore you entirely if you're not looking to jump in bed at 2am on a Friday night.

Nobody seems to bother taking time to chat with others & try to get to know them.. at least not with the likes of me. (I wish I knew why.)

I try to be personable, and try to make it known that I'm looking for friends.. and yet all I get are propositions for sex.. and if I'm feeling randy & accept one.. I generally get stood up.

If anyone knows of ways to actually meet other gay men, in person, in settings that are not sexually charged.. please let me know what some of them are! :/

One minute you say nobody seems to bother taking time to chat all they want is sex then in the next sentence you say if your randy you'll hook up!? Were you saying you arent what most people deem as the stereotype on the site?

Ive found plenty of guys that have chatted and havent wanted sex. Im pretty sure Im not the only one either! Yes theres probably a lot out there that want sex but I still think its a common misconception that the majority are only there for one thing.

Advertisement