Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New icerink!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExIIHA

goblin59 wrote: »
    cannot wait to get back on the ice again and play icehockey!

There is pickup hockey on Wednesday in Castleknock I read on the Irish section of the forum www.internationalhockey.net

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

" All good things come to those who wait "

Following reports by the IIHA in recent months of a brand new ice and inline hockey facility to be opened in Santry, Dublin, we would like to provide everyone with an update on the project.

Since the closure of the Dundalk Ice Dome the availability of ice hockey in Ireland has been limited to facilities in Northern Ireland, Seasonal Ice Rinks throughout Ireland and the ice skating facility at Castleknock, Dublin. Concurrently, there has been substantial work done with various teams participating in Inline hockey in locations such as Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk, Kilkenny and Cork to name a few.

The IIHA conducted open Pick-Up Ice Hockey sessions regularly in both the Odyssey Arena and Dundonald Ice Rink in Belfast where the support provided to the IIHA by the management and staff of those facilities has been outstanding and greatly appreciated.

Recently a permanent ice rink has been under construction in the National Ice Sports Arena, Santry, Dublin. It will provide the Capital City, Dublin, and Ireland as a whole with an ice surface large enough to cater for ice hockey leagues.

The IIHA’s Director of Player Operations, Will Fitzgerald, visited the National Ice Sports Arena to see how things are progressing as it reaches its final preparations. Prior to his visit some individuals were invited to view the facility for the first time, including representatives from the Dublin Ducks and Celtic Clovers who currently train and conduct Learn to Play sessions at Castleknock on Ice in Dublin.

On entering the facility the first thing that hits you about the rink is that its cold, but in a nice way, Hockey Cold. The rink is being finalised by a number of engineers who have been flown in to complete the work and a number of dedicated individuals who have been working tirelessly for a number of months now. These individuals are not in it for the money, more for the love of the sport and hunger for ice and are putting in many hours of hard labour in order to bring the rink to the point where it opens and ice hockey and figure skating can commence.

The IIHA and the Ice Skating Association of Ireland (ISAI) have been consulting with the operators of the facility, for a number of weeks about the scheduling of ice times and programmes to be conducted there. The National Governing Bodies (IIHA and ISAI) are collaborating closely in order to ensure that each of the sports get the best possible use of the ice to both bodies satisfaction.

A number of weeks ago team representatives were invited to the rink and the IIHA is delighted to add another couple of clubs to that list which is related to notifying the Irish ice hockey community about all matters related to the sport, so welcome Ducks and Clovers.

So how long before the rink opens? Well, considering that final checks and tests are being conducted on the plant, connections and a lot more bits and technical pieces than the author is aware of, it is close, very close to opening to ice hockey and figure skating. Management have informed the IIHA that they hope to flood the rink in the coming days.

Will Fitzgerald said ‘So much progress has been done in these last few months and that is testament to the financial commitment, hard work, long days and nights of those who are involved in the development of the National Ice Sports Arena’.

So, keep a close eye on IIHA.org, IIHA Facebook & Twitter pages / national media for more information about the imminent opening of what will truly be a fantastic ice arena.

http://www.iiha.org/news/663/santry-ice-rink-official-update

An imminent opening in Santry, great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Joe well you be going to play on the ice there. Anyone know were in santry its going

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

I wonder what the prices for Ice time will be? I hope it doesnt price me out of playing there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

554280_419089124786988_107436122618958_1459960_1604588763_n.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Great to see there's FINALLY progress. At this stage I'm afraid to get my hopes up until I actually skate on it though ;)

There has been some skating done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 d0.0b

Please say this is so, I have been waiting a long time to get back onto the ice.

Has anyone skated it ? any ideas on how to join for pickup session or when this might happen ?

red_ice wrote: »
    There has been some skating done :)

Do you have any further details? Was it part of the testing phase or have things finally been finished?

• Advertisement

Can't wait to get out there! Anyone with news on pickup etc, please post ASAP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmo16

here is the latest for the Flyers Ice Hockey Club web site

Ladies & Gents, Boys & Girls; Ireland's longest established ice hockey club, Flyers Ice Hockey Club, return to the ice this coming Thursday at 8.45pm in the National Ice Sports Arena, Santry, Dublin. Senior Mens Team on the look out for new players. Also we are launching our Lady Flyers and our Junior Flyers teams. Keep an eye on www.flyersicehockey.com for more info.

Flyers Ice Hockey Club are recruiting for the New Junior (Boys and Girls) and Ladies Teams. The club is the longest established ice hockey club in Ireland with it's origins going back to the early 1980's.

Ill be dusting off the black flyers jersey for this thursday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

It looks AMAZING.

Id say there will be an IIHA announcement by the end of the week if the skate goes well on Thursday

Is the rink much bigger than the ice dome.

Also anyone know if the ice dome is been used at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8 carnevore

My long wait has ended, thoroughly happy that this has happened!!

The pictures look fantastic, bringing back some familiar memories of a canadian rink i played in with low roof ahhh i want to scream im that excited!! WOO!!

Castleknock has served well but this is brilliant!!

I can see hockey and a Dublin rink surviving a good bit longer than previous rinks for one big reason. Immigration. The amount of people from Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic etc in the country will increase the amount of Hockey players in the country as they come from a country with more of a Hockey tradition. Its also good for the game here, the skill sets of these players who have played consistantly for several years will help improve the competition. Im almost certain you will see Eastern european skaters and hockey players come out of the wood work when this place opens. Its exciting times for the game in this country. I hope it is managed well

Was thinking about heading up for the flyers session Thurs but have a feeling it'll be so busy I wouldn't get near the ice :rolleyes:
    Anyone know if there are open sessions before or after that one?

The skate can only go one way, and that's - people show up, play hockey, leave with smiles on their faces :p
    cena wrote: »
    Is the rink much bigger than the ice dome.

Also anyone know if the ice dome is been used at all

IceDome is dead. The rink is a few feet shy on width of NHL I hear, but the complex itself I would estimate its easily about 3 times the size of dundalk... its bleedin massif!
    Wisco wrote: »
    Was thinking about heading up for the flyers session Thurs but have a feeling it'll be so busy I wouldn't get near the ice :rolleyes:
    Anyone know if there are open sessions before or after that one?

Flyers session is from 8:45-9:45 on thursday, but there is a session on before that aswell at 7:30-8:30, very few people seem to know about this, so it would probably be the better session to go to! There will be pickup on monday and wednesday nights at a tenner a head for people of all skill levels.

• Advertisement

Crapbag wrote: »
    I can see hockey and a Dublin rink surviving a good bit longer than previous rinks for one big reason. Immigration. The amount of people from Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic etc in the country will increase the amount of Hockey players in the country as they come from a country with more of a Hockey tradition. Its also good for the game here, the skill sets of these players who have played consistantly for several years will help improve the competition. Im almost certain you will see Eastern european skaters and hockey players come out of the wood work when this place opens. Its exciting times for the game in this country. I hope it is managed well

Without a doubt. You're forgetting that there are foreign students that want to play too. I was in the royal college of surgeons lifting weights for hockey with one of the guys on the team and in the sports hall there was about 30 people running around with sticks, gloves, shin pads and helmets playing hockey. I was told they all want to play but wouldnt drive to dundalk, or had no way to get there.

Our team is made up of a few old heads and students from trinity and the college of surgeons. Students will be a big part of hockey in the years to come, i have no doubt.

Red ice, do you know what team has the 730 session? I'm not sure if all teams are running open sessions like Flyers are.
    Thanks.

Without a doubt. You're forgetting that there are foreign students that want to play too. I was in the royal college of surgeons lifting weights for hockey with one of the guys on the team and in the sports hall there was about 30 people running around with sticks, gloves, shin pads and helmets playing hockey. I was told they all want to play but wouldnt drive to dundalk, or had no way to get there.

Our team is made up of a few old heads and students from trinity and the college of surgeons. Students will be a big part of hockey in the years to come, i have no doubt.

I play ball hockey with a group from Slovakia 20+ strong here in tallaght. All Hockey players. Same story, not willing to drive. These guys have some serious skills and would be great to have on the ice. Im gonna stick as much as I can with these guys. Despite getting shouted at in Slovakian, I think it can only do good things for my game.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Uncle Grueber

Wisco wrote: »
    Red ice, do you know what team has the 730 session? I'm not sure if all teams are running open sessions like Flyers are.
    Thanks.

The 7.30 session involves mostly Dublin Riot / Vipers players, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭PMC83

Crapbag wrote: »
    I play ball hockey with a group from Slovakia 20+ strong here in tallaght. All Hockey players. Same story, not willing to drive. These guys have some serious skills and would be great to have on the ice. Im gonna stick as much as I can with these guys. Despite getting shouted at in Slovakian, I think it can only do good things for my game.

Like floorball or unihock? I'm surprised none of em tried inline in the absense of ice, nice to hear theres more players out there.

I'm part of the Riot/Vipers group, and far as I know we have it booked for Thursdays-7.30. I imagine it will be open enough though, as with our inline sessions in Ballyfermot...

I well be expecting some vids up so we can what its like.

Where abouts in santry is it. Any chance its near dcu or northwood

cena wrote: »
    I well be expecting some vids up so we can what its like.

Where abouts in santry is it. Any chance its near dcu or northwood

It's behind Santry Omni Park Shopping Centre.

PMC83 wrote: »
    Like floorball or unihock? I'm surprised none of em tried inline in the absense of ice, nice to hear theres more players out there.

I'm part of the Riot/Vipers group, and far as I know we have it booked for Thursdays-7.30. I imagine it will be open enough though, as with our inline sessions in Ballyfermot...

Its like street hockey except played in a gym hall. Same sticks, gloves etc as ice hockey. Rules are pretty much the same too. Think the sticks are different in unihock/floorball and ive no idea of the rules. There are quite a few NHL players who play/played ball hockey in the summer when the season ended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvlFnK7m_FM&feature=related

Just think the lads are ice only. Dont think any of them ever played roller hockey. I went up to you lads to see what it was all about. Just couldnt fork out for inline skates. Plus im **** on skates :-) but ill get there. Id say they have gear for the ice but not for roller hockey. I learn a lot playing with them. They know the game very well.

578922_10151571981520523_576585522_24164911_1188674288_n.jpg

:D

• Advertisement

578922_10151571981520523_576585522_24164911_1188674288_n.jpg

:D

Sweeet! I better learn how to hockey-stop on ice quickly. :cool:

Advertisement