Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Maybe he is flash! :o ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Ooh thanks folks, that's an interesting suggestion! Thought GIY was just a café. Will definitely look into it.

I have two vegetarian friends and one vegan who swear by it. I'm neither and enjoy every trip there for lunch or dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the city or not too far outside it where I could get a decent vegetarian meal of a Friday evening? Sick of seeing even the posher restaurants having parmesan or pesto advertised as part of the vegetarian dishes and then try to tell me "but cheese is vegetarian" when I query. Last time I gave up and just went to Burzza, but I would like somewhere more fancy for the evening that's in it.

New restaurant on O'Connell Street that's Vegan only.

http://thecandiedhazelnut.com/

Haven't been there as I love meat way too much but might be worth checking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Don’t have to use the potatoes for just chips. Certainly don’t taste homemade anyway. No I didn’t mention anything about burzza buns, they get theirs from walshs bakery?

You’re probably the first person I’ve heard vouching for revolutions food.

I'm not vouching for it at all, it's not a place I eat, as I have said in previous posts just correcting an error. Their chips are just not frozen, whether you like them or not or anything else about the place is up to yourself, no odds to me whatsoever. Yeah the do get theirs from Walsh's must have been a different poster so :)

Ha I just saw the other post speculating maybe I'm flash :D rumbled!!!

But no, obviously not flash, I have hair for a start :)

While I'm thinking of John street though, has anybody eaten in that cafe that's opened opposite centra/revolution? Seems to be vegan stuff, the cafe next to the wacky apple is pretty nice for breakfast also in that area

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I'll have to check out the vegan place another time, poor hubby is mad for a steak seeing as he rarely eats meat at home :D Couldn't find a menu for GIY on their website, but I am willing to give it a chance after 3 recommendations here now. Hope ye are right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I'll have to check out the vegan place another time, poor hubby is mad for a steak seeing as he rarely eats meat at home :D Couldn't find a menu for GIY on their website, but I am willing to give it a chance after 3 recommendations here now. Hope ye are right :D

https://giy.ie/grow-hq/the-menu-at-grow-hq.html

The dinner one is a few weeks out of date but I’d imagine roughly along the same lines each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I ate here twice, once just myself and herself and the other time with 2 of the kiddies. The Taco chips are fantastic!! It is a small enough space, maybe 20 covers so it fills up fast. Both times I was in there was a queue for seats!

Must try the Grow restaurant next time I am down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The Grow menu does make changes frequently depending on what crops they have etc but some Staples will pretty much always be there

I'd recommend it for sure, good staff and good food/coffee

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

The Grow menu does make changes frequently depending on what crops they have etc but some Staples will pretty much always be there

I'd recommend it for sure, good staff and good food/coffee

The Vegan / Plant based options seem thin on the ground. Might be worth a try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

That bloom cafe place is the place you’re on about across from centra on John street. I’ve heard rumors that they sell weed and ‘edibles’ and have actually seen posts on Facebook of people saying Waterford’s first ‘hemp’ friendly cafe. Am I missing something here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

ElKavo wrote: »
    I ate here twice, once just myself and herself and the other time with 2 of the kiddies. The Taco chips are fantastic!! It is a small enough space, maybe 20 covers so it fills up fast. Both times I was in there was a queue for seats!

Must try the Grow restaurant next time I am down.

Out of interest what's in a vegan taco chip?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Thanks for the menu sillysocks! Even if it has changed it looks like they have plenty of veggie fare anyway. I'm going to book for Friday week - I'll have to report back after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Sheehans has been closed down, gah.

Boooourns wrote: »

Really? They had a Facebook post earlier apologizing for being closed last night due to unforeseen circumstances but said they were now reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Boooourns wrote: »

According to Facebook they had to close yesterday due to unforseen circucircumstances but are back open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Boooourns

sillysocks wrote: »
    Really? They had a Facebook post earlier apologizing for being closed last night due to unforeseen circumstances but said they were now reopened.

Ah sorry didn't know that, misinformed so, that's good as I like the place.

Out of interest what's in a vegan taco chip?

Pretty much the same as a meat one except its a bean chilli, which is very tasty if I do say so. Non dairy cheese melted on top and seriously chunky chips, makes for a big feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The Bay Tree Bistro is closing in Waterford and moving to Kilkenny

https://www.facebook.com/pg/thebaytreebistro/posts/?ref=page_internal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

The Bay Tree Bistro is closing in Waterford and moving to Kilkenny

https://www.facebook.com/pg/thebaytreebistro/posts/?ref=page_internal

Were they not doing well there? Would there be much mid-week business in Kilkenny for the likes of them in comparison to here? Much smaller population and all that..

Seems like a crazy decision with the North Quays boon just around the corner (hopefully) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Deiseen wrote: »
    Were they not doing well there? Would there be much mid-week business in Kilkenny for the likes of them in comparison to here? Much smaller population and all that..

Seems like a crazy decision with the North Quays boon just around the corner (hopefully) ...

I heard the building was sold and Brooklyn in Tramore are opening in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

deisemum wrote: »

Great news tbh. Give me solid tasty food over feckin foam and pretentious ****e thrown on a plate any day of the week.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    deisemum wrote: »

Great news tbh. Give me solid tasty food over feckin foam and pretentious ****e thrown on a plate any day of the week.

Come on now, there is no need for that.

Theres a market for that type of food, and it might not be your cup of tea but it's not pretentious and a lot of work goes into it.

I personally think the place was fantastic, not something you can have every week but very very nice when you do.

Theres a market for that type of food, and it might not be your cup of tea but it's not pretentious and a lot of work goes into it.

I personally think the place was fantastic, not something you can have every week but very very nice when you do.

He had done very well and reviews etc were great. I wondered when I saw the announcement whether the new building might have some accommodation and they might be aiming for a ‘destination’ restaurant like the Tannery. Total speculation though! It’s a big move and definitely a loss for Waterford even if you didn’t like their style of food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

It's the epitome of pretentiousness in fairness. Most of the work goes into the aesthetics. Be honest now, you spent as much time taking pictures of your dinner there as you did eating it....

It's the epitome of pretentiousness in fairness. Most of the work goes into the aesthetics. Be honest now, you spent as much time taking pictures of your dinner there as you did eating it....

Have you eaten there?

sillysocks wrote: »

He had done very well and reviews etc were great. I wondered when I saw the announcement whether the new building might have some accommodation and they might be aiming for a ‘destination’ restaurant like the Tannery. Total speculation though! It’s a big move and definitely a loss for Waterford even if you didn’t like their style of food.

Wheres the info on the building?

Wheres the info on the building?

I don’t think there is any real info, they just mentioned a restored Georgian townhouse in the post on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

Kilkenny Town Center is booming midweek aswell as the weekend.

I'd say you miss the wimpy

dzilla wrote: »

Kilkenny Town Center is booming midweek aswell as the weekend.

I'd say you miss the wimpy

How is there a bigger market there thou?

Tourists spend less in Kilkenny, with a slightly higher number of tourists but you also have less than half the people living there too. Maybe the rent is cheaper or the property is amazing but definitely a bigger market in Waterford, and as I said, with the North Quays incoming it doesn't make much sense. Especially to a premises actually on the Quay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

How is there a bigger market there thou?

Tourists spend less in Kilkenny, with a slightly higher number of tourists but you also have less than half the people living there too. Maybe the rent is cheaper or the property is amazing but definitely a bigger market in Waterford, and as I said, with the North Quays incoming it doesn't make much sense. Especially to a premises actually on the Quay!

Don't have a clue tbh, but I know from experience of being there mid week for whichever reasons that pubs and restaurants are busy (Not Dublin or Galway busy, but busy non the less). Unlike Waterford City where you may aswell put a Closed sign over the bridge after 6pm midweek.

Advertisement