Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SUSI and Postgraduate diploma/certificate

Options
  • 12-04-2015 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I have one question about SUSI grant:

I read that SUSI is not awarding a grant if a person already has a degree (let's say MA so you will not be awarded grant to get another MA), I have MA and Postgraduate diploma/certificate (it's not like a master's degree but you need a bachelor academic degree to get into that kind of programme), would that be a problem to get SUSI grant for MSc conversion course if I already have MA and Postgraduate diploma/certificate?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

You can only get a grant when you are seen to be progressing; essentially moving from one NFQ level to a higher one. Since you already have an MA (Level 9), you're not eligible to receive funding for any other Masters degrees or lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 canmo

maki wrote: »
    You can only get a grant when you are seen to be progressing; essentially moving from one NFQ level to a higher one. Since you already have an MA (Level 9), you're not eligible to receive funding for any other Masters degrees or lower.

Hi, sorry I made a mistake before I actually don't have MA, only BA and postgraduate certificate/diploma that is actually not MA. does this postgraduate certificate will be a problem?

Thanks for the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

canmo wrote: »
    Hi, sorry I made a mistake before I actually don't have MA, only BA and postgraduate certificate/diploma that is actually not MA. does this postgraduate certificate will be a problem?

Thanks for the answer!

A postgraduate diploma is also a Level 9 qualification, so I think unfortunately you're still out of luck.

NFQ level descriptions are here if you want to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Your MA Certificate/Diploma has to be a Major Award on the NFQ at Level 9 for you not to be eligible for an MSc.
    If your MA is a special award (Springboard does a lot of these) then you may qualify for grant assistance for a MSc.

Also, there are certain progression rules surrounding students that are studying law. So if you are studying law, you may still qualify for grant assistance.

Your best option is to apply and SUSI will decide on your qualification. When you do apply, make sure you put in as much details about your current qualification as possible or try and find out if it is a minor or major award on the NFQ before making an application.

Advertisement