Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blue Screen Error Caused by Wireless Network Driver

• 30-12-2014 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

I am really sorry to bother you lot and I may omit some things since while I was getting the links for this post, my phone deleted my wall of text. Alas, we push on.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L750/L755. After running into similar issues, I sent it in for repair for them to replace the hard drive. It initially came with Windows 7 pre-purchased. Windows 8 and subsequently 8.1 were working fine for a good period of time. I got them online so I don't have any installation disc or recovery media.

From looking around online, I believe that my problem is the computer's Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Network Adaptor not being compatible with the Operating System. This controls the Wi-Fi. Generally pretty quickly after booting up normally, I am greeted with a Blue Screen stating that they're collecting some error info, accompanied with the message "system_thread_exception_not_handled (athwbx.sys)".

I am not the only one with the issue, and it seems that the solution is to install a new, compatible driver and remove the old one. This, however is where I'm running into problems. I can get the computer up and running in Safe Mode easily enough, but I usually get the blue screen within minutes if not instantly when either booting up normally or in Safe Mode with Networking. It can sometimes last longer be it minutes or even hours but I'm not sure why that is.

Actually installing a new driver and removing the old one is where I'm running into the most problems. I can either disable or uninstall the driver in Safe Mode without issue but it always returns upon rebooting. I have access to an Ethernet cable should I need the internet but as mentioned, setups where the internet is needed don't function for very long. I can sometimes get it running long enough to uninstall it which occasionally buys me some time. Disabling it doesn't seem to affect anything.

I downloaded the .zip file that worked for everyone in one of the links. I can't check for fear of another mass deletion but it ends in .274. My issue is that I have to Update/Install a new driver. I am attempting to do this by right clicking the Qualcomm Atheros faulty driver. In Safe Mode, I am told that everything is working and up to date, and I cannot access this menu in an internet enabled mode because I am forced to uninstall the driver in order for the computer to function. I don't know what to do with the downloaded zipped file.

I sincerely apologise for my lack of knowledge, but if anyone is able to help me out, providing simple step-by-step instructions, it would really be appreciated.:) Thanks in advance. The potentially useful threads are linked just below. I have tried to provide all of the relevant information but let me know if you need anything and I'll attempt to provide it for you.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/windows-81-toshiba-l755-crashes-bsod/16446d3e-6cbe-425f-b603-53d7e69210b5?page=1

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/windows-81-blue-screen-system-thread-exception-not/a3525af0-6cfa-4040-b32e-65e6e13d63f8

And you guys can Google anything else you think might be relevant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

You need to unzip the file to a location, say a folder on your desktop.

Go device manager > right click on the faulty NIC > properties > Click driver tab > "update driver".

Just point it to the extracted files.

Just to note, that may not be the issue. Do you happen to have the actual error code that pops up on the halt screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I had this issue with a linksys wireless card which was an atheros chipset. It needed a built in windows driver to function. I just had to manually select which driver to install. IT may be the same issue for you?
    If you send me the exact model of your wireless card I will try help

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

The problem has seemed to stabilised after following ObeyTheSuit's advice. I extracted the files, and attempted to install the new driver. I selected the correct folder, but not a specific driver. However, there was only the one in there. I was told that the driver was updated, and I'm currently writing this message from the problematic computer.:)

I'm not certain that we're out of the woods yet, as I had some respite before only for the problem to come back. I'll try restarting the machine a couple of times and I'll post back if the problem persists.

deceit, the model is "Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter", which is still listed in the Device Manager despite the computer currently working.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I really appreciate it.:pac:

Also, my laptop has recently taken to making alarming noises, such as the 'battery critically low' noise when it is on the charger and fully changed. I have no idea whether this is related to this issue or not. This is not a common occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

If you get the halt screen in the future take down the error code; 0x0000007e for example.
    It usually helps after a quick google.

While rolling out a Win 7 SOE for a site I came across errors like the above, it turns out there are some hotfixes MS have released for specific hardware which you do not get in the weekly software updates.

Glad problem one was solved.

On the battery, they go after about 2 years....well mine all have. Batteries are the one thing that are not under warranty when you get a laptop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

try a different version of the driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I don't think that I ever got an error code, unless I got it the first time and it never showed up subsequently. Thanks for the advice anyway.

The battery is working fine. It's just making the low battery noise unprovoked.

Advertisement