Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is a display model laptop a good idea?

Options
  • 26-12-2014 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Hiya lads.

Was out at the sales today and looking at a particular Toshiba laptop. Have been watching at it for a while and its now on clearance at 100 euro off. Only issue is, its only the display models left. Its only the model on the shelf that people have been poking at. I asked about a discount but was told it was discounted. Funny though, its the exact same price in Pcworld and Currys. I know, I know, they are the same company.

I understand they have had no use, they are just running screensavers, but would running screensavers for 12 hours a day for a month and a half (so they say) have any associated problems? This particular laptop has a 2 gig dedicated graphics card and was very cool to the touch when I checked it today?

Thanks all

Scousemouse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

Hiya lads.

Was out at the sales today and looking at a particular Toshiba laptop. Have been watching at it for a while and its now on clearance at 100 euro off. Only issue is, its only the display models left. Its only the model on the shelf that people have been poking at. I asked about a discount but was told it was discounted. Funny though, its the exact same price in Pcworld and Currys. I know, I know, they are the same company.

I understand they have had no use, they are just running screensavers, but would running screensavers for 12 hours a day for a month and a half (so they say) have any associated problems? This particular laptop has a 2 gig dedicated graphics card and was very cool to the touch when I checked it today?

Thanks all

Scousemouse

I think it's down to personal preference to be honest. To get a €100 is pretty decent and I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'd just make sure the warranty wasn't negatively affected a d all the parts are with it. There's also pepeace of mind that the laptop definetly works :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

It should be fine, laptops are designed to last 12 hour days - for much longer than a month. If you get €100 off for what is probably minor cosmetic scuffs and scrapes its a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Can you post the model and price?
    You may get a better offer, and/or a more specific answer. Don't rush out to buy it because you think you may have £100 off.
    Have a look on saveonlaptop.co.uk or other sites.

£100 off in the sales and a display model doesn't sound great to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its the Toshiba S50-B-12Q

Cannot find a link online as it looks like its discontinued but this seems the same except my one has an I5 processor.

Its priced at 829 down to 699, but thats bollix because it was 799 when I went in and looked at it about a month ago (and photo'd the sign)

Its on the shelf today, as display model, in Pcworld Blanch, and in Pcworld and Currys Carrickmines. Checked in all shops and there is no stock, only the clearance model on public display.

saveonlaptop.co.uk is not found and saveonlaptops.co.uk is also down.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »

Thats nearly it. My one has 8 gig ram and 1TB hard drive. Does amazon do business sales? I am VAT registered so can reclaim 23% irish VAT

Thats nearly it. My one has 8 gig ram and 1TB hard drive. Does amazon do business sales? I am VAT registered so can reclaim 23% irish VAT

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200741340
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=502576

Just went back and had a chat with them. Best offer was a couple of months free coverplan.

Even though I wanted a cloud drive as well, they wouldn't budge. I walked away.

WELL DONE DSG group!

Just went back and had a chat with them. Best offer was a couple of months free coverplan.

Even though I wanted a cloud drive as well, they wouldn't budge. I walked away.

WELL DONE DSG group!

Their cloud service was recently bought over by another Company. I think they'll be selling cloud for pittance this coming year.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    Their cloud service was recently bought over by another Company. I think they'll be selling cloud for pittance this coming year.

No no. I was buyung a cloud drive. A hard drive which attaches to my network as a central storage hub.

Think I may just register as business on amazon and order it online exclusive of VAT. Im a small business myself and try to shop bricks and mortar. But DSG are just wallys. Bring back Declan!

The WD cloud drive 2TB is in the Amazon Sales. I think it was €108 delivered.

Im a glutton for punishment.

Just went to liffey valley. In pcworld met a sound guy called daragh. He checked stocks and had the cloud but not the laptop. Suggested I speak to manager in currys who had laptop but no cloud and they could transfer the stock across.
    Into currys, got assistant who went to get manager. Waited 20 minutes, then walked out.

FFS. THEY CAN FECK OFF NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

He checked stocks and had the cloud

Sounds like some sort of warehousing issue... I can't see the top shelves boss, we have the cloud again.

Using cloud as a metaphor for a hard drive on a local network really doesnt fit. Sounds like you were describing something more like a file server or NAS

http://m.wdc.com/en/product/1140
    this is what I wanted and he said they had them out the back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I would not buy it

I see what damage people do to them

You have lost me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Martin Duffy

I would be wary of buying anything on the basis of coverplan - the below is what happened to me :

Knowhow Coverplan is the worst company I have EVER dealt with. I bought an expensive computer in PC world as I am currently a PhD student. It was approx 1200 euro and covered it with them. It was stolen in Athens in June. I filled in the documents and had a police report etc etc and sent it all in. Weeks later I had heard nothing and contacted them. After a long wait I got a guy who said it had been processed and they had sent me a cheque but that it could take TWENTY EIGHT days to arrive. 28 days to get from England to Ireland ??? I was very specific with him about whether it was a cheque or voucher as I said I would but a new laptop now if it was a cheque as I needed it for my studies but I would be forced to wait if it was a voucher.

Anyway 28 days later still no cheque - so two weeks after that again - today the 25th August - 3 months after it was stolen I rang them again. I was put on hold for over 30 minutes after which I was told there was a "glitch" in their system and I had been sent nothing. They then told me they would give me a voucher number over the phone - no cheque. A voucher is obviously of no use to me now as I have already bought the laptop. All I was told was that the guy I was dealing with shouldnt have told me he had sent a cheque as they dont do things that way. Somehow he cant be traced as he has "conveniently" deleted his login details for the conversation ! I asked to be put through to the customer complaints department whereon the person put me through to the general services department who cant deal with complaints ! He then transferred me back to the coverplan people who I had been originally talking to, but after 30 minutes no one answered the phone and it cut me off. How does a company like this manage to get away with this type of thing ? How does PC World continue to use a company like this ?

Obviously a voucher for 1100 euro is no use to me as a student now that I have repalced the laptop - it looks like my only recourse is to contact my solicitor and sue them to have them refund me the money rather than give me a useless voucher.

God, that's rotten, sorry to hear about that.

I'm not a big fan of Currys/PC World either. Above anything else they're a rip off.

Advertisement