Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Frontline covering FG's leadership instead of the bank enquiry reports

Options
  • 14-06-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's worthy of discussion, but why have it as more pressing than Cowen's role in the crash ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Breaking story, more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

bleg wrote: »
    Breaking story, more interesting.

Don't agree.

Bruton's doing a george on it...gettin a bit carried away with himself..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As usual RTE facilitate FF and stay away from the real stories deflecting onto other less important ones. They should rename themselves FF Broadcasting Corporation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nah, no conspiracy here. FG imploding is todays news so its discussed on a LIVE current affairs prog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Its RTE/Pravda, what do you expect?

We'll see what they say to the following email (if it's read out) :
    I think Bruton's timing is chronic, and he has done huge damage!

Tomorrow is the day that was down to discuss Cowen's role in ruining this
    country, and now this sideshow is distracting from that, having had the
    debate conveniently delayed because FF TDs were conveniently "on
    holidays", despite their generous holidays not being due for another
    month!

Incidentally, I think it's amazing that The Frontline is discussing this
    instead of discussing the reports released during the week that showed
    that Cowen's policies ruined the country and that all of the FF interviees
    that waffled and lied about Lehman Brothers for the past 2 years were
    lying through their teeth!

FF switched leaders mid-term, from Ahern to Cowen, without this amount of
    coverage.

The Frontline should get its priorities right and cover the bank reports.

Liam Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

And FF decisions ruining our economy backed up by two independent reports is not news ?

Fecking cop out by RTE as usual. They consistantly give FF the soft touch in any interviews.

mike65 wrote: »
    Nah, no conspiracy here. FG imploding is todays news so its discussed on a LIVE current affairs prog.

They obviously just didn't like my email, then......ah, well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Pat Rabbitte just asked what he thinks of the Kenny/Bruton issue on Vincent Browne and started talking about the banking reports. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

It is the issue right now.

We all know Cowen is a goner but will survive these motions of no confidence, that vote is another meaningless stunt by Kenny. In any event there was plenty of talk on the banking reports last week when they actually came out.

Opinion polls show that despite probably the most unpopular Government ever the main opposition cannot improve on their support levels so there is unease in FG. This unease is right now and there is a huge chance of change there tomorrow which will alter the shape of the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

themont85 wrote: »
    It is the issue right now.

We all know Cowen is a goner but will survive these motions of no confidence, that vote is another meaningless stunt by Kenny. In any event there was plenty of talk on the banking reports last week when they actually came out.

Opinion polls show that despite probably the most unpopular Government ever the main opposition cannot improve on their support levels so there is unease in FG. This unease is right now and there is a huge chance of change there tomorrow which will alter the shape of the next election.
    Labour are the main opposition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

All I hope is that the next government, probably FG and Labour (although never know around here) slash RTE's budget by 50%.

It is now a pathetic excuse for a public service broadcaster.
    You have the likes of the very well paid tubridy using the Late Late Show as a platform to have a go at the opposition and giving free publicity to his family's party.
    RTE news and website push bad news government stories down the listing so that they appear of lesser importance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

gandalf wrote: »
    As usual RTE facilitate FF and stay away from the real stories deflecting onto other less important ones. They should rename themselves FF Broadcasting Corporation.

Unfortunately thats totally inaccurate. Enda Kenny was given LIVE coverage from the Dail on PKs radio show of his making the motion of No confidence and his reasoning.

That is extraordinary coverage. He made no impression what so ever, absolutely none.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It's a major issue! This struggle will most likely decide the next Taoiseach. It's more than worthy of coverage.

nesf wrote: »
    It's a major issue! This struggle will most likely decide the next Taoiseach. It's more than worthy of coverage.

I said in the OP that it was worthy of coverage.

It's just not worthy of displacing the biggest story of the decade.

Liam Byrne wrote: »

The "biggest story of the decade" added little new to the story to be honest. If there was something explosive or shiny in the revelations I'd agree with you but there wasn't really. Everyone knew FF's pro-cyclical budgets contributed to the bubble and it's been covered in the media for months by economic analysts.

The "biggest story of the decade" added little new to the story to be honest. If there was something explosive or shiny in the revelations I'd agree with you but there wasn't really. Everyone knew FF's pro-cyclical budgets contributed to the bubble and it's been covered in the media for months by economic analysts.

I know that; even I've been pointing out the facts for the past year or two, and I'm no expert.

The key point is that we finally had 100% irrefutable proof that FF had lied through their teeth for the last 2 years.

It's the equivalent of a guilty verdict being announced after someone that everyone knew was guilty had pleaded innocence for 2 years.

And remember we're (a) still paying him and (b) still unable to shift him out of power due to his stance.

So I would have thought it was a massive story.

If the media can force Kenny's hand and make his position untenable based on a poll, surely they should have been perfectly capable of shifting Cowen based on those reports ?

If the media can force Kenny's hand and make his position untenable based on a poll, surely they should have been perfectly capable of shifting Cowen based on those reports ?

Hardly. Kenny is dealing with an already split party, the media coverage just added the pressure. Cowen is sitting quite securely simply because no FF or Green TD wants an election right now, the confidence vote was never a risk to Cowen since turkeys don't vote for Christmas and no senior FF figure would touch the leadership until after the next election so there's no internal party heave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

In fairness to rte/the media - compare how many threads/posts on the bruton issue compared to cowen destroying the economy right here on this board.

• Advertisement

Fair point, Bottle......

But factor in the email that I sent RTE's Frontline that got completely ignored, and it does seem like they don't want to justify their stance, even on a supposed "public interest" angle.

* I'm not suggesting that every email is read out, or that my email should automatically be included, but I did find it astonishing that it wasn't even referenced....even if Kenny had asked one of the FG people "why did you do it this week, when FF and Cowen were on the back foot", it would have been a way of acknowledging that FG had somehow distracted from the bigger story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Banking reports will always be commented on.

Cowan is the most secure person in the Dail since neither FF nor the Greens or the supporting independents wants an election this year or next.

Who wants an election when we have FG with suicidal acts comes about every decades or so and will always be a split party,as no matter how smart they are they still have egos like FF and look after themselves. We have two this year alone, The fiasco with George Lee prove that. After the last by elections there was an opportunity to capitalise by coming together and put the country above their political ambitions and work together in a meaningful way. They blew it is a speculator way and by doing so handed FF with the best present to give them. The Biggest opposition is in tatters with self mutilation with no help from outsiders.

Bruton the main Finance spokesman who shot himself in Frontline interview (I have to say that Pat Kenny nail him rightly so for it) about Enda not doing enough in getting the message across to the people about the economy, yet anything I see him on TV, he has difficultly to pass on the message. Nobody talks about Bruton much, except what his older Brother John on what he is doing. Richard Bruton is not a leader and is a poor communicator, and Enda is poor in getting the message across but he is far better than Bruton. Also I noticed that it was Bruton supporters who vilified George Lee for his departure. They have the same mentality as FF and are the opposite side of the same bad coin that FF sits on. They are hypocrites and what what we have to look forward to the futures, then we are doom.

FF should be out of power now for the disaster they puts us in, yet FG as as whole has handed the reigns of Power squarely back in FF hands for the Time being.
    I now have to Stomach it, as it is Labour who are only real alternative with creditability to get us out of the Home grown mess we are in.

The banking disaster will be with us for the next decades for us all to talk about, But FG disaster is a performance that the likes of Shakespeare would love to have in his/her plays of betrayal by close allies and hypocrites who lust of power that corrupts from within.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The Cowen-Ahern struggle didn't get one-tenth the coverage. We got a lap of honour from Lord Ahern, Viscount of Drumcondra, celebrating his eleven years of glorious stewardship, and then Lord Cowen, Duke of Offaly, the foremost intellectual of his generation, was declared universal saviour. The unsavoury intraparty struggle was entirely ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

goose2005 wrote: »
    The Cowen-Ahern struggle didn't get one-tenth the coverage. We got a lap of honour from Lord Ahern, Viscount of Drumcondra, celebrating his eleven years of glorious stewardship, and then Lord Cowen, Duke of Offaly, the foremost intellectual of his generation, was declared universal saviour. The unsavoury intraparty struggle was entirely ignored.
    Well FF are not fun to watch, it like watch the parish politics going at each other. You expect this behaviour of FF, so there is no fun there, because it is the norm.

FG is a different Story, where they portray themselves as better than the rest, more educated, more civilized, squeaky clean, like they know what best for us lower beings. They then act like ejects when conflict starts. They are brutal (terrible) at it. Their so call standards drop like a stone by self mutations of their own behaviour when they behave so badly and you see the hypocrisy when you compare their statement to previous interviews.
    That why the media love covering FG suicidal fiascos.

goose2005 wrote: »

The FF leadership change didn't play out across the media with claims and counterclaims of who had enough support. For a similar FF case look at how closely watched the heaves against Haughey were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭doc_17

It's not the biggest story of the decade. Far from it. We didn't need a report to tell us that FF were to blame. There was nothing new in them so it hardly counts as being the biggest story of the decade. It won't even be remembered as the biggest report of June 2010. The Saville report has that distinction

doc_17 wrote: »
    It's not the biggest story of the decade. Far from it. We didn't need a report to tell us that FF were to blame.

Most informed, intelligent people didn't; that's true.

However this was the first official report that stated it as fact, and exposed FF's lies, and therefore shot down any of the usual arguments from "staunch" FF supporters, who haven't been seen here on boards trotting out those lies since.

Advertisement