Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underfloor v Rads

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

dderd wrote:
    I've decided to put in UFH everywhere except b/rooms, reason being that I don't think its healthy for b/rooms to be too warm. I am worried about running costs though and am I losing out on the economic benefits of UFH heating running at lower temps by rads needing high temps. I've spoken to the plumber about this and he thinks the combination of rads & UFH is best but advises running costs are more expensive - not because of using both but just because he thinks running costs of UFH is higher. This is not what I read in magazines etc.... so am confused.
    If the bedrooms are too warm then its the control system that's at fault, not the underfloor heating. If thermostats or temperature sensors are used in each room then there's no problem with overheating. At least thats my experience in our bedrooms. We have the pipes over a 25mm insulation layer, above the hollowcore, and below a 75mm screed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 scuzz

Boggle wrote: »
    I know a guy who's house is being used to test a new underfloor heating system developed by a local crowd (Clonmel, Tipp) and he reckons his system is the job. Installation pumps are supposedly similar to a conventional system (Although I don't know how much that it tbh!!) Not sure about running costs but he reckons that its similar to a heatpump even though it runs 24 hours a day.

Not sure if its released yet but if you want to find out PM me and I'm sure I can get a number - suppose you cant lose by checking...

ANyway, good luck!!

Hi Boggie,
    Do you have the details of the company in Clonmel

Thanks
    Scuzz

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭wintersolstice

Does anyone know if it is possible to put in a radiator in a room that has underfloor heating so that I can do away with the UFH as it is very expensive to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Does anyone know if it is possible to put in a radiator in a room that has underfloor heating so that I can do away with the UFH as it is very expensive to run?

The simple answer is, yes it is possible, however there may be a huge amount if disruption for just one rad. It just depends on where your heating pipes are located.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭wintersolstice

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The simple answer is, yes it is possible, however there may be a huge amount if disruption for just one rad. It just depends on where your heating pipes are located.
    thank you for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ltz400

has anyone every thought of runnin the underfloor of solar panels or tubes as i think tubes are best in our climate yes it would cost give or take another 3k but u would have warm tile floor all day long and base the cost of 5 to 10 years after which it would run itself free beside runnin the circulalting pump

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The solar power is just a means to the end, which is hot mater running in tubes under the floor.
    The problem is will solar powerr get the water hot enough to run under the floor? No, but it can add to the heat and thus lower costs over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ducie

Would like to get this going again with a lot more of under floor heating being installed. What are peoples thoughts experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

ducie wrote: »
    Would like to get this going again with a lot more of under floor heating being installed. What are peoples thoughts experience?

Definitely. We're 10 years on from most of these posts now. Has new tech changed the situation much?

• Advertisement
Advertisement