Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing old floorboards

Options
  • 23-01-2014 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭

Could I recover the floor with 19mm plywood or should I recover with floorboards if access is needed in the future etc? Plywood would seem like a quicker job

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Ply doesn't have tongue and groove joints. So not an issue if the joint is across the Joists, But it won't work where the joint is along the length of the joists. Unless you rebuild the floor joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

whizbang wrote: »
    Ply doesn't have tongue and groove joints. So not an issue if the joint is across the Joists, But it won't work where the joint is along the length of the joists. Unless you rebuild the floor joists.

Because the ply could sag where the join is if walked across,is it? Thanks for the tip, I may run the join along the joist then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I have replaced T & G boards in the past with 18 mm ply. Turned out a good job.
    To do it well requires a little planning. When you lift the Floor take note of where Cables and CH Pipes run. Does any of them need to be moved ?. Do you need more Sockets in the Room ?. Think of how you might access them again if needed without taking up the whole Floor again.
    Find a Square Corner of the room to start in. Or Start from the middle of the Room out to the Walls. Try and keep the Ply square with the Joists also as this will cut down on the need to cut Sheets.
    Lay the Ply across Joists and cut at the middle of the Joists.
    Personally I prefer to stitch a piece of 50 x 25 mm timber along the Joist where they meet for added strength. Don't forget to leave a 10mm gap around the Walls for expansion. You can cover this with the Skirting.
    You'll need a good Skill Saw to begin with. A Pilot Drill bit and a Counter sinking Tool for the Screws. A Hammer and a Nail Bar.
    For Safety pull the nails as you go while lifting the Floor then you don't have to worry about them. Many a person has walked on one after pulling up the boards and ended in Hospital. good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

ply would be best and quickest..ply comes in 2'x4' sheets this might help reduce cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Used to be able to get tongue and groove chipboard for exactly this job.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

Could I recover the floor with 19mm plywood or should I recover with floorboards if access is needed in the future etc? Plywood would seem like a quicker job

Thanks

A few 8 x 4 sheets of 18mm ply,a skill saw and some 40mm turbodrive wood screws.Job done.

Advertisement