Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The John Murray Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

My God that radio show is shocking .Murray hasn`t a clue .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Have you suffered from depression, i hope not.

I really enjoyed the interview and great to hear him back ( but he has doen Christmas FM ).

No, not that that's relevant.

I was making a comparison between the refreshingly open attitude Simon Young showed yesterday and the stuff I have heard Gareth O'Callaghan comming out with from time to time.

Have you ever heard O'Callaghan spouting forth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    No, not that that's relevant.

I was making a comparison between the refreshingly open attitude Simon Young showed yesterday and the stuff I have heard Gareth O'Callaghan comming out with from time to time.

Have you ever heard O'Callaghan spouting forth?

I have and as someone who has suffered from depression in the past and come out the far side i can relate to him.

Just hope your lucky enough never to be in such a position:)

But i must say i didn't like the way John Murray tried to avoid using the word depression in the interview.

But i must say i didn't like the way John Murray tried to avoid using the word depression in the interview.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont. What was unusual about the interview was that Murray butted out almost completely. Now, because of that, you are accusing him of having an agenda.

If the word depression wasnt mentioned then that was Simon Young's choice. He referred to delayed reaction syndrome and a host of physical ailments he developed.

The word was out there via the Hot Press interview already. Not an agenda, just that its still taboo in Ireland ( and elsewhere )

• Advertisement

The word was out there via the Hot Press interview already. Not an agenda, just that its still taboo in Ireland ( and elsewhere )

So what are you saying? That Simon Young was avoiding the issue? That Murray should have cross examined him?

So what are you saying? That Simon Young was avoiding the issue? That Murray should have cross examined him?

No that Murray avoided using the word depression.

Its like a lot of the older generation saying "ah he suffers with his nerves". No its depression and the quicker we bring it out into the open the quicker we can help so many people who's life is destroyed by it.

i like John Murray but i think that interview was very hard for him as he knows Simon well and it can be hard to talk about such subjects with those whom you know.

Well, you have a point but I think in this particular case it was the guest who set the tone and it would have been completly off for Murray to chose that interview to confront a taboo.

Well, you have a point but I think in this particular case it was the guest who set the tone and it would have been completly off for Murray to chose that interview to confront a taboo.

I see where your coming from but at least use the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭decies

One turkey interviewing another on today's show !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Who was that guy and why was he on the show?

What a load of soppy shyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Another awful "comedy" intro by John.. about Sinead O'Connor.. the whole premise of the joke being that she said in some newspaper yesterday that she likes hairy men.. cue a load of badly put together soundbites, and his usual lowest common denominator slagging of Paul Galvin.. RTE should let John do the show seriously... He cant do comedy, and his attempts are cringeworthy, where as he has proved that he can do the serioues stuff competently..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Another awful "comedy" intro by John.. about Sinead O'Connor.. the whole premise of the joke being that she said in some newspaper yesterday that she likes hairy men.. cue a load of badly put together soundbites, and his usual lowest common denominator slagging of Paul Galvin.. RTE should let John do the show seriously... He cant do comedy, and his attempts are cringeworthy, where as he has proved that he can do the serioues stuff competently..

They should go one better and just take the show off air altogether and put something; anything else on instead. It's been one bad, bad car wreck of a show from the dayit came onto air and has created nothing but scorn onto the daytime schedule. Whatever good or bad and whatever you like or dislike about Murray taking on the semi serious topics, he can't be taken seriously anymore due to the attempts at humour he forever persists with and he should be hidden away from the schedule for the long term until it's long forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,556 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The 'smug' tone in his voice when he dishes out the 'comedy' starts to grate, as if he has just discovered the funniest material known to man.

I like Pugwash though. Thomas Walsh was actually funnier than John!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 esquilax

I finally got around to typing "John Murray crap" into google to see if there was a discussion going on somewhere about how something so f**king brutal could make it onto national radio and - the part that really mystifies me - stay there for a year with no noticeable changes to its format.

Glad to see it's not just me cos there's probably nobody in the country who's listened to that bloody show as often as I have (I'd say I've missed <1% of them unfortunately) despite hating it so much. Except other people who have Radio 1 on in their workplace against their will maybe.

Here's a list of what I hate about John f**king Murray - most of which has already been said but I'm going to say it again anyway.
    • His combination of voice and accent, more suited to boring the passengers in a taxi to death than being on national radio
    • That cringe-making 'monologue' that he opens the show with. I don't know which is worse, him writing his own jokes despite having no background in comedy (does he realise the likes of David Letterman have a team of people who do it?) or, if he doesn't write it himself, the fact that someone is getting paid to write it and they haven't been fired for being unbelievably f**king unfunny
    • The fact that he has to ask everybody he interviews about how rich they are or how much money they earn, despite the fact that nobody ever answers the question and it just makes both the interviewee and the listener think "What a nosey c**t". Seriously, listen out for it. He'd ask a rape victim if they got a good compensation payout.
    • That whole Operation Transformation thing. Turns out fat people are about as fun to listen to as they are to look at.
    • The way every day he asks people to text in about something at the start of the show and then doesn't read out any of them (or maybe nobody does)
    • The way he occasionally makes up text messages. "So, extremely minor celebrity, someone texting in here wanting to know when your book will be in the shops". No, John Murray, nobody actually texted in to ask that and we both know it

Kathryn Thomas in my opinion is no better. When she's on, the already lightweight subject matter gets bulked up with interviews about fannies and wedding dresses and diets. She's a more natural interviewer but no more interesting than John Murray.

The one thing I love about working on bank holidays is you turn on the radio and instead of John Murray, you (sometimes) get Pat Kenny and he is bloody brilliant by comparison.

I'd actually rather listen to Liveline than John Murray and that's saying something. Even Turgidy on R1 was marginally better - I've never heard him on 2FM.

And I can't say I noticed when Kia pulled the plug until I read about it here but I thought they were a fitting sponsor.

Anyone know how the listenership figures have been over the lifetime of the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No idea, but in the Flutther's car, it's silence from 0905 till 1000.

Can't stand Murray, total disaster from day one.

Now Thomas isn't much better, concentrating as she tends to do on Z list celebs and the goings on of those goons who attend parties not because they know anybody there, but get get a few bob to attend.

vacancy in that slot for a good kind of 'wrap up' show not too serious but enough to hold the attention of the serious, educated, ABC listener like myself and others here.

Murray is a total and abject FAILURE.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I never liked the way Morning Ireland segue into the JMS and I always hit the presets at 9.05 usually to Newstalk who can be a breath of fresh air compared to the stuffed and stifled style of RTE.

He was much better on that Business Show and on Morning Ireland, another example of RTE trying to make a "star" out of a news reporter, they try it on all the time, Miriam O Calllaghan, Charlie Bird etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

Why oh Why was Katherine forced to talk about nothing to Olwyn. There was no story it sounded like a puff piece to promote her new career in PR . No reflection on Katherine they must have found Olwyn hanging around the RTE canteen. Who next Terry Prone or Diarmuid Gavin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Has Murray dropped his comedy "sketch" from the show.

John had a girl on marking time today talking about chastity she was 21 . I have no problem with chastity but I have no idea why she was advocating this or did I miss something. She was a theology student so she was capable of discussing it . John could also have asked her how she controlled herself in Maynooth when she was full of pints at the back of the student disco having a snog. Anyway welcome back John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Slidey wrote: »
    Has Murray dropped his comedy "sketch" from the show.

Was there comedy to even drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Was there comedy to even drop?

Marginally funnier than this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Marginally funnier than this post.

C'mon Walshy...guy was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Have to say I enjoyed the show today.

I listened yesterday to John with the Garda whose wife was an alcoholic. It was thought provoking and sensitively handeled.

I listened this morning when he spoke to the guy who was running a swingers club in Dublin. He was ripe for comedy and John never rose to the bait.

When John was finished his next guests managed to get a laugh out of the item.

Then I realised John is not funny in a spotaneous way he may be when he can script, rehearse and use someone out of context .

He was unfair to Michael O Leary , he made a good and thoughtful point about the Childerns allowance and all we got was a cheap crack about a tax on sex. He should have played the full piece it was only 60 secs.

Its not everyday Michael O Leary is thoughtful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Then I realised John is not funny in a spotaneous way he may be when he can script, rehearse and use someone out of context.

John Murray is simply NOT funny.. It's not his fault to be fair.. He usually did business shows or filled in for more serious presenters.. (for example he did really well filling in for Marian Finucane one day)... But it's more of a case of RTE shoehorning one of their existing staff in to a role that really isnt suited to them... Like the way they tried to shoehorn Ryan Tubridy in to a show that required a personality..

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Mammy U Know O'Rourke is about to descend on us clucking on about Christmas,sad and happy times,I s'pose.Does she and RTE not realise O'Rourke and her comfortable ilk are downright depressing

Oh God

Did you hear Neil Delamere and Laura Whitmore . They sounded like 2 kids on Community Radio Ballyslloberdashimuckery. I know in their own field they are great but they should stick to what they know know. When this item ended abruptly after a Seannie joke someone remembered the the RTE Pensioners who were were having a breakfast get together in the canteen and up popped Derek Davis and Doireann Ni Bhrian. This was item was a load of ole bollocks and silly stories told before about a soon to be RTE pensioner Ann Doyle. They were looking for a clone. How thoughtful , provocative and entertaining was this. If they are stuck for a replacemnt for John Murray give Speed Trap a turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Delamere is bad enough on TV but this is bloody awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is he not going to read out the death notices?

Advertisement