Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which distribution for a newbie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Goodshape wrote:
    Linspire is free for the next few days.

Usually costs around $50 I think.. reason being that it includes some licenced components (Java, Windows Media, Flash, etc.)
    Java, Flash players and players compatible with Windows media maybe described as "non-free" due to their licenses not being GPL, however that is not the reason behind linspire charging for their license.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

blacknight wrote:
    Java, Flash players and players compatible with Windows media maybe described as "non-free" due to their licenses not being GPL, however that is not the reason behind linspire charging for their license.
    Well, I'm sure it's a factor. What is the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i just started with ubuntu, and i have to recommend it. It's not too far away from the windows look, and is not to difficult to navigate/learn. Also, has great support over on ubuntuforums.org.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 r3l4x

Fedore or Mandrake if we are talking about Linux.
    FreeBSD or Frenzy if we are talking about Unix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

r3l4x wrote:
    Fedore or Mandrake if we are talking about Linux.
    FreeBSD or Frenzy if we are talking about Unix.

It's been renamed to Mandriva Linux... ;)

• Advertisement

HomunQlus wrote:
    It's been renamed to Mandriva Linux... ;)
    Never used it for a long time. I think debian is the best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

r3l4x wrote:
    Never used it for a long time. I think debian is the best.
    don't forget that both Knoppix and ubuntu are debian based.

don't forget that both Knoppix and ubuntu are debian based.

Very good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

r3l4x wrote:
    Very good point.

I personally think Mepis is the best linux for a newbie, also based on debian. liveCD and if you like it you can install from the livecd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Goodshape wrote:
    Linspire is free for the next few days.

Usually costs around $50 I think.. reason being that it includes some licenced components (Java, Windows Media, Flash, etc.) which should make it the most n00b friendly distro out there.

Haven't used it myself, but sure I may as well grab it all the same :)

I have it very polished looking software, very easy to use and works easily with ripwave. Using it as we speak, well type :) I'd recommend it for a newb being one myself. Btw its both a LIVE cd and an Install cd. Very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.puppylinux.org/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

It has a windows look and feel and has basic support for most things including word processing and spreadsheets. This and a small foot print means it can be sneaked onto a older windows 95/98 box. 55MB download and can use a 256MB file on a FAT partition so no need to reformat or anything.

Can also get loadlin.exe and run it from Dos / Safe Mode command prompt

I'm can't confirm this but
    Along with Morphix, Puppy Linux is one of the only Linux LiveCD distributions able to save files to the LiveCD itself (multisession), allowing users to carry data, and more importantly, added programs and customized settings, along with them in the CD.. Puppy-multisession is 55.7M

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

linux noob here aswell, started off a few months back with a distro called College linux, found that pretty crap so i decided to use debain as i was building a webserver, kde and x didnt come as standard so i had to use the apt-get install command to get all them aswell as installing apache and php mysql etc. I then decided to use ubuntu on the laptop with GNOME, then decided to install KDE Kubuntu aswell just to have the option.
    Finding linux great, some have said i should of started off on an easier distro but i like to learn things the hard way and learn from mistakes and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Steveire

I'm the same. Newbie, but just going to jump right in. I think I'm gonna try to get Fedora Core 4 in operation. I've no idea what that involves in terms of partitions or anything, so time to start reading...

Actually, after a bit of googling, I reckon it'd take too much time to read enough to understand how to do it. Maybe next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Was a mepis man, now i've converted to openSuse 10 for my desktop distro, very nice, had some trouble getting it to play mp3's and such but now its exacly the way i like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Steveire wrote:
    I'm the same. Newbie, but just going to jump right in. I think I'm gonna try to get Fedora Core 4 in operation. I've no idea what that involves in terms of partitions or anything, so time to start reading...

Actually, after a bit of googling, I reckon it'd take too much time to read enough to understand how to do it. Maybe next year...

I'm a newb as well and it pretty straight forward IMO to partition the drive(s), the distro does it all for you.

However you're in luck. There will be a Linux meet-up in UCD on the 25th of this month and if you wanna bring your computer/laptop along, I'll (or someone else) will whatever flavour of Linux you want, just bring your own distro. If you haven't got one though, I'll have a few different ones with me: openSUSE, Mandriva,DSL, Mepis, Knoppix etc

Heres the thread incase you 're interested: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054893537

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

What I really like about Linux is the 'apt-get install' feature. Its so much easier than Windows.

jaqian wrote:
    I'm a newb as well and it pretty straight forward IMO to partition the drive(s), the distro does it all for you.

However you're in luck. There will be a Linux meet-up in UCD on the 25th of this month and if you wanna bring your computer/laptop along, I'll (or someone else) will whatever flavour of Linux you want, just bring your own distro. If you haven't got one though, I'll have a few different ones with me: openSUSE, Mandriva,DSL, Mepis, Knoppix etc

Heres the thread incase you 're interested: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054893537
    Well, Fedora Core 5 is out in a week, so maybe I'll go for that. While I have your attention, you might save me a few hours looking through installation manuals and FAQs...

[strike]I thought I'd have to make the partition myself (which I don't have a problem with anyway), but you're saying that the partition will be made as part of the installation process?
    I'll probably want to select which OS I want to use when I turn on my computer (XP or Fedora). Will there be an option to configure that during the install process, or will I need to set it up after?[/strike](found the answers to these here)
    I assume I want the i386 version here. It's a samsung laptop I'm going to try it on. I guess it's an IBM compatible. How can I be sure that's the correct download?
    I clearly haven't read any of the literature. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DerMon

quoting netron
    "Ubuntu's KDE version - Kubuntu - has a KDE menu that is a total nightmare. Mandrake's KDE menu system is polished and refined and dead easy."

Couldn't disagree more, as a relative newbie (wish somebody would bloody well define that term precisely :)), I find kubuntu the easiest distro to install and use. If a windows user asked me to install a linux for them, I'd choose kubuntu every time. guess everybodys experiences vary just as much as their opinions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Just thought I'd post to say that I installed Ubuntu today on my old crappy computer, and if it all works out ok, I might just put it on my proper computer. The only thing that's bugging me is that the screen is gone a bit weird ... about eight thin fuzzy lines running down the screen; I have no idea what it's about, it certainly wasnt there before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

ishnid wrote:
    I've seen this claim being made in a few places but I've yet to see anybody giving any reasons why. Care to elaborate?
    I'd disagree with that I think GNOME is the most userfriendly.

And yeah you should try out Ubuntu Breezy (however I am using dapper beta since it didnt support my printer) but now I use it as a file server a print server with CUPS, a HTTP server, mailserver, and all running PHP, MYSQL, all the things for my webdevelopment really. Ubuntu is a very easy operating system to manage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I tried installing ubuntu (breezy badger) a while ago on my machine, needless to say didnt go well. Formatted my hdd :( got it all back in the end but have been apprehensive about installing dapper drake. Even though its ment to be so simple this time. Got myself an external hd to back up my stuff, gonna give it a lash this time.

How i formatted my drive was i made a partition but then (somehow) made a new partition on top of that. lol you gotta learn sometime :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Wasnt able to edit my last post for some reason but anywho, got it sorted, running ubuntu! :D quite happy with it, makes a change from windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Hi, I hope this isnt the wrong place to put this post> Anyway here goes>

I tried mandriva and found its v userfriendly especially installing via rpm packages. However its rather sluggish even on my P4 and the soundcard isnt always functioning. V odd. Acer laptop btw.
    Then tried it on an IBM laptop and it worked 100% except for wlan card as usual.

Knoppix I tried, but runs too slow on IBM, its a P3 laptop.
    Finally tried "Damn small linux", the 50mB distro, runs well on all but Im crucified with Debian commands and lack of experience is frustrating me to get things installed. In fact if anyone has experience with this OS pm me, I have some really basic questions for this. Any help v appreciated.

But its a lot more fun learning something new!

I'd recommend ubuntu if you haven't already tried it. The latest release version was at the beginning of last month, so it's quite recent. I've not had any trouble with it or looked back since trying it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

Well for new people I d recommend Mandriva or Ubuntu

And either run the live cd or install your distro in vmware as opposed to dual booting

It cuts out the need for partioning and prevents potential data loss if you decide to bin .
    You can install Your Distro inside windows and it will open it like any other normal program;)

telecinesk wrote:
    Finally tried "Damn small linux", the 50mB distro, runs well on all but Im crucified with Debian commands and lack of experience is frustrating me to get things installed.
    have a look at http://www.puppylinux.org/ if you want a GUI

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I was just wondering what people think of Fedora Core 5? Would Ubuntu be a better choice as a lot of people seem to be saying that earlier in the thread. I installed it last night and it seems ok so far although i still have to get my wifi card working :( .

Edit: Just got wireless working :), thanks to NetworkManager.

Don't install mandriva 2007 if you have SiS on-board video, there is a bug that results in a blank screen :(

A work-around is to try other video drivers untill you find one that works...:eek:

or find the SiS driver off a previous version...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ubuntu seems to have better hardware recognition, hence you getting your wireless card sorted. Ubuntu ftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

I'd heartily recommend Gentoo as an excellent way to learn 'what's going on'. This seems to be the main problem that faces new Linux users who have a streamlined install (like Ubuntu). The Gentoo install is tough, but once you're finished, you'll have a good grasp of what's going on on your system. (See the Gentoo thread for more detail).

I started on Gentoo 2 years ago, and am now running it on my 3 boxes and laptop. No major problems all along that I wasn't able to solve quickly enough using the forums/chatroom/(gasp)some new skillz. Current uptime on my server box? ~3months. (and only because I upgraded the kernel over the summer) Say what you want about "bleeding edge" and stability - it's been fine for me!

Advertisement