Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is Traveller disadvantage not a mainstream concern?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

If such a thing exists as traveller culture, that entitles them to minority protection, then that culture must be definable in some ways? there must be reasonable generalities that can be drawn. If the OP can present statistics in support of a general disadvantage amongst travellers, why cannot some one else use these same statistics to show there is a lack of engagement on the part of travellers with state supports, education and the work force?

Personal stories aren't statistics. unless you're a statistician or researcher?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

RichieC wrote: »
    Personal stories aren't statistics. unless you're a statistician or researcher?

I'm not arguing for personal stories to be used, I'm arguing that the statistics in the OP can be used to portray traveller culture as (insert Permabears comments here)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

If such a thing exists as traveller culture

I take it you don't watch the (mock?) documentary serious big fat gypsy wedding then? The claim to have a culture of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

antoobrien wrote: »
    I take it you don't watch the (mock?) documentary serious big fat gypsy wedding then? The claim to have a culture of their own.

The fact that they have their own culture is not in any doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

This post had been deleted.
    As far as I am aware they are classified in Ireland as a distinct cultural group.

Just because you don't like some traveller traditions, doesn't mean things like their languages and traditionally nomadic way of life and commonly held supernatural beliefs, or any other characteristics of traveller society, do not represent culture.
    Permabear wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Yes, I agree with this. Anecdotally, travellers might often have their own business interests in the black economy to support their welfare dependence. If this is the case, the opportunity cost of work in the white economy could be a barrier to employment for many within the traveller community. So welfare reform could help travellers' situation in the long term.
    Again, I agree. But traveler children are taken out of school at an early age by their parents, who perceive (correctly) that education poses a threat to the perpetuation of traveler culture.
    I think that's a very broad and baseless assumption to make. There may well be many reasons why traveller children leave school early. 60% of travellers felt discriminated against at school according to the All Ireland report on Traveller Health (UCD, 2010). So I would imagine one could also mention bullying against traveller children combined with a huge lack of contact between traveller parents and education (therefore perhaps, no real appreciation for its importance). I'm sure we could come up with lots of plausible reasons why traveller children are often not effectively engaged with education.

Dismissing the issue as traveller parents maliciously plotting to deprive their children of education for the greater good of the group culture is a very hasty, nasty and, as far as I can see, unsupported conclusion to arrive at.
    the only way for parents to perpetuate the existing culture is to make sure that their children stay illiterate and ignorant
    So you think that these children grow up illiterate and "ignorant", and yet you expect them to somehow morph into parents capable of making sound, logical decisions compatible with mainstream, settled society?
    No, it's not really all that much "fun." It's a life characterized by hard drinking, feuding, illiteracy, antisocial behavior, poor health, and an early grave.
    With "a life characterised by hard drinking..." I think you're overstepping the mark from discussing observed characteristics of the group as a whole into broader generalisations at the individual level here.

My point was that living in a caravan and dealing in horses is not unacceptable as a way of life in itself- unless it is detrimental to one's offspring, for example.

In that context, I would question your assertion that "The state should strive to replace a culture of idleness and dysfunction with one of work, education, and responsibility".
    Just a few pages ago you were saying "As a liberal[...] Travelers can live how they wish, as far as I'm concerned". You now seem to be promoting a state sponsored "responsibility" drive, "responsibility" being an unpalatably vague term, especially when being promoted at the hands of the state.
    Unless you're advocating that the state should take children away from their natural parents I don't see any way for the government to "act decisively" to prevent children from "being conditioned to adhere to the traditional way of life of their forbears."
    I wouldn't suggest removal of children from their parents as anything but a last resort. I think one has to be very careful so as not to alienate the traveller community, which appears to place a very heavy importance on family.
    But that option (after other penalties have been applied) should certainly be explored as part of the stick approach in allowing traveller children access to education.

Educational provisions for traveller children in the past twenty years, like TESS and distance learning for travellers in the UK, have apparently given rise to favourable results. (Cathy Kiddle, Traveller Children, 2000). Perhaps something similar should be explored in Ireland.
    You wish to represent travelers as passive victims of social forces beyond their control.
    Not necessarily. That would suggest I deny that traveller parents are capable of making foolish, or unwise parenting choices. Which is not the case.

Rather, I am merely putting their choices in context by highlighting the cyclical nature of the travelleing community's way of life. Children who, for whatever reasons, do not engage in education and work may be less likely to promote engagement in education and work among their offspring in turn.

• Advertisement

later12 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware they are classified in Ireland as a distinct cultural group.

Just because you don't like some traveller traditions, doesn't mean things like their languages and traditionally nomadic way of life and commonly held supernatural beliefs, or any other characteristics of traveller society, do not represent culture.

It's not a matter of liking or disliking their culture, they've made a claim to have a distinct culture.

The nomadic lifestyle apart, there are very few things that I can see differentiating them from the "settled irish". They understand english clearly enough when they're looking for something off you, so language isn't a cultural differentiator.

As for the charges that they drink too much, fight too much, are un/under educated, lazy, dirty, etc are all charges that have been leveled at various parts of the settled community. Some places like various parts of limerick, cork & dublin cities have even made the news for it.

So what are the cultural differentiators I keep hearing about? Is it seriously just the caravans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

lividduck wrote: »
    I would refer the poster ansd all others concerned that The Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act 1989, proscribes words or behaviours which are "threatening, abusive or insulting and are intended or, having regard to all the circumstances, are likely to stir up hatred" against "a group of persons in the State or elsewhere on account of their race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, membership of the travelling community or sexual orientation.[/Quote]

I would like to direct the poster to the Misplaced Hysteria and Gross Misunderstanding of an Abused, Misused and increasingly Diluted Term Act of 2012.

[MOD]See mod post earlier about this kind of silly pseudo-justification. "Yer Honour I thought yer man was a bit hysterical like" is not a legal defence or a useful addition to the discussion.[/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

So what are the cultural differentiators I keep hearing about? Is it seriously just the caravans?
    I'm not an expert on traveller culture, I would imagine the reference is to their nomadic lifestyle, as well as their belief system which is somewhat more supernatural than mainstream Catholicism, and maybe their languages whether they have largely died out or not. Or maybe it's just a recognition that travellers are 'separate' without wanting to give them an ethnic status.

I don't really care. I'm just pointing out the fact that they are recognized as a cultural group. A UN body (and perhaps the EU parliament?) have recommended the state to recognize them as an ethnic group just as they are recognized in the UK. Alan Shatter said this is being considered. Again, I'm not sure this particularly matters.

In that context, I would question your assertion that "The state should strive to replace a culture of idleness and dysfunction with one of work, education, and responsibility".
    Just a few pages ago you were saying "As a liberal[...] Travelers can live how they wish, as far as I'm concerned". You now seem to be promoting a state sponsored "responsibility" drive, "responsibility" being an unpalatably vague term, especially when being promoted at the hands of the state.

You misrepresent PB here to paint his views as inconsistent. While I disagree with his views they are at least consistent. He is blaming the state, its interference and support in these communities (through the welfare system) for the culture of idleness and dysfunction. Removing the state, according to him, would lead to a natural and necessary progression to work, education and responsibility. He is not advocating state sponsored anything.
    Rather, I am merely putting their choices in context by highlighting the cyclical nature of the travelleing community's way of life. Children who, for whatever reasons, do not engage in education and work may be less likely to promote engagement in education and work among their offspring in turn.

You really need to stop beating around the bush here. From reading between the lines you are advocating a state sponsored attack on the travelling community's 'way of life'. You blame this 'way of life' for conditioning generations into a life of disadvantage, highlighting the effects of its cyclical nature. You talk about pushing kids towards education and punishment (with seaparation from parents as a last resort) as a necessary stick. But be honest, the interference you seek to remove disadvantage will mean the diminution and eventual destruction of the traveller culture.

I'm not an expert on traveller culture, I would imagine the reference is to their nomadic lifestyle, as well as their belief system which is somewhat more supernatural than mainstream Catholicism

pishrógs (not sure of the spelling) and common superstition are still common in Galway, traveller or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Channel Zero

And just because minority cultures are not self-sustaining doesn't mean they should be allowed to die out as you have opined. Cultural diversity still transcends the profit motive thankfully, and is supported, funded and embraced worldwide.

Let's not confuse traveller culture with the culture of entitlement. They're obviously two separate things. The former can be encouraged and supported in tandem with discouraging the latter surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Let's not confuse traveller culture with the culture of entitlement. They're obviously two separate things. The former can be encouraged and supported in tandem with discouraging the latter surely.

OK, how?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Maybe "Travellers" (who are called that despite the fact they are often reluctant to go anywhere, like those lot at Dale Farm) may have a better standard of living if they move into an actual house. But they don't want to do that because living in caravans means they don't have to pay the relevant taxes that householders need to pay.

they can't. They want it both ways, concern for traveller welfare (which I can agree with), but abhorrence at any attempt to interfere with traveller culture.

Let them eat cake.

• Advertisement

Do you disagree with my sarcastic solution?

You got it!
    Attendees of a seminar in Dublin today will hear of the devastation of Traveller family life and the educational prospects for young Roma as a result of draconian restrictions on benefits and services.

Gist of complaint - if Roma and travellers aren't afforded their "human right" to state subsidies they won't be able to pursue their nomadic culture. As one of their coordinators says "These restrictions simply make it impossible for Travellers to travel across the island". As clear as acknowledgement as is possible that the traveller lifestyle is unsustainable without a open-ended lifelong state subsidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

How law abiding and professional woould like, as law abiding and professional as
    Bertie
    P.Flynn
    The 3 youths who kicked a young Polish man to death
    John Gilligan
    Larry Murphy
    Ray Burke
    The endless number of Roman catholic Priests who raped and beat children for decades

My point? My point is that there is criminality everywhere , yet you snidley and sneakily infer that be law abiding requires that you give up membership of the traveller community.
    BTW Rates of Traveller unemployment are probably no grater than levels of unemployment in many urban areas such as the north inner city of dublin, Moyross in limerick, Moneymore in Drogheda.
    Your intolerance borders in my humble opinion on bigotry, just my opinion.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    You got it!

I'm afraid the link you provided does not really warrant the response of "You got it" to Permabrears contention that "the culture is in many ways inseparable from the entitlement."

Do you have anything else?

lividduck wrote: »
    How law abiding and professional woould like, as law abiding and professional as
    Bertie
    P.Flynn
    The 3 youths who kicked a young Polish man to death
    John Gilligan
    Larry Murphy
    Ray Burke
    The endless number of Roman catholic Priests who raped and beat children for decades

My point? My point is that there is criminality everywhere , yet you snidley and sneakily infer that be law abiding requires that you give up membership of the traveller community.
    BTW Rates of Traveller unemployment are probably no grater than levels of unemployment in many urban areas such as the north inner city of dublin, Moyross in limerick, Moneymore in Drogheda.
    Your intolerance borders in my humble opinion on bigotry, just my opinion.

So we're playing that game? Grand. Then there is no difference in traveller disadvantage and disadvantage in areas of the settled community. So nothing to see here. / thread.

Or you can offer your solution on how to tackle disadvantage amongst travellers while not diminishing their culture?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The point about an economically sustainable lifestyle and the Amish has resonance. Amish furniture is highly regarded and sought for its quality and character. This, and farming, has allowed the Amish and other Mennonite communities to achieve their wish for a segregated existence. As they have a moral object to insurance, it has also lead them to conflict with the Govt over social insurance payroll taxes.

Comparing with travellers in the 19th Century, there was a degree of economic and environmental sustainability between travellers and settled. Travellers interacted and performed useful services. Scrapping, Tinkering, and manufacturing; what we would now think of in terms such as reduce, reuse and recycle. Our focus has shifted as a society and large-scale commercial enterprise has taken over scrapping, we no longer repair anything and we throw away knives when they need sharpening. Travellers if anything, have simply failed to find the niche they need to survive in modern society, therefore are now disfunctional in modern society.

I'm not sure if we can redeem traditional ways of life, there is a limited romantic market for say traditional caravan painting skills or tincraft. There might be a limited means to revive such crafts and make them commercial (or at least make sure they do not die out) but ultimately we as a society have lost our connection with Traveller culture and it is no suprise that we now treat them with hostility and incomprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Total assimilation, intergration and disperal into the settled commity is the answer to these issues, unless some one can point out how their lifestyle fits in with a developed modern econmoy and social welfare state.
    This is the truth that nobody wants to say in public. A nomadic way of life is pretty much guaranteed to result in lowering of opportunities for those that partake in it.

Their "culture" should not be encouraged at our expense and their children should be taken from them and put into care if their education is suffering because of their itinerant way of life. Traveler children shouldn't be left with traveler parents "just because" it's their culture-it's 2012 for God's sake. Traveler children deserve as much of a shot at a decent life as any others. Same goes for the children of settled wasters who neglect their kids. There are plenty of decent homes out there for children of people who aren't fit to be parents.

Ireland at the moment is on a collision course-we encourage the wrong kind of people to reproduce and (financially) punish the right kind.

I'm afraid the link you provided does not really warrant the response of "You got it" to Permabrears contention that "the culture is in many ways inseparable from the entitlement."

It does in my opinion. In particular I see no practical difference between PB's comment that "the culture is in many ways inseparable from the entitlement." and the Pavee Point spokeswoman's statement that "These restrictions [on social welfare claims by travellers with no fixed address] simply make it impossible for Travellers to travel across the island".

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Ireland at the moment is on a collision course-we encourage the wrong kind of people to reproduce and (financially) punish the right kind.

Lovely. Could you expand on that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement