Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant hear incoming calls through car speakers.

• 07-05-2012 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Hi I use an iPod touch to play music through my car speakers. However I have a loan of an iphone and when attaching it to my iPod cable on car, all I hear is the ringtone of the phone when ringing. However when I answer call, no sound goes through the carspeaker only the phone speaker. Is there anyway around this? I basically want to answer calls through the radio system on my car.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I suspect you are answering the call via your iPhone - which then uses that device to conduct the call.

Try answering the call via the head unit (check the manual to see which button takes calls - there will be one). This should then use the speakers for the call.

I "forgot" this happened until someone here reminded me a few months ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Dades wrote: »
    I suspect you are answering the call via your iPhone - which then uses that device to conduct the call.

Try answering the call via the head unit (check the manual to see which button takes calls - there will be one). This should then use the speakers for the call.

I "forgot" this happened until someone here reminded me a few months ago. :)

Are you sure thats possible?

The radio on my car has only basic functionality when ipod is connected up. Basically I can play songs, select a different track, fast forward rewind, change playlists using buttons on my radio. I attached an iphone to this cable and it charges phone, can play songs/music/ringtones through car speakers and when phone is ringing it sounds through car speakers but when I pressed answer on the iphone the voice call came through the phone speaker and not the car speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭guil

After answering the loudspeaker button should give the choice of phone, car kit or loudspeaker. Does with a Bluetooth kit

guil wrote: »
    After answering the loudspeaker button should give the choice of phone, car kit or loudspeaker. Does with a Bluetooth kit

You reckon its possible so?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭swampy353

teednab-el wrote: »

If it's a Sony head unit generally you just push in the volume button. Although that's when it's connected via Bluetooth, not sure about a cable connection

• Advertisement

swampy353 wrote: »

If it's a Sony head unit generally you just push in the volume button. Although that's when it's connected via Bluetooth, not sure about a cable connection

Basically I have an iPod wire connection that is attached to an adapter that is connected to back of the car radio. The radio itself is over 10 years old.

Actually, it sounds to me like you don't have a phone-compatible unit at all.

Your stereo just plays whatever sounds that would be coming out of your headphones were they plugged in. That could be music, ringtones, whatever.

Sony BT units are cheap as chips. You should consider getting one of those.

Why wouldn't it work may i ask? It is an ipod interface and controls my iPod touch without going near the device itself. Surely the interface should handle incoming calls?

Why wouldn't it work may i ask? It is an ipod interface and controls my iPod touch without going near the device itself. Surely the interface should handle incoming calls?
    Running calls through a head unit isn't as simple as just sending the sound of the other caller through your speakers. BT setups and stereos that support this function either have external microphones or microphones built into the stereo.

Ask yourself this - can you throw any set of €10 headphones on an iPhone and use them to listen to the caller while you speak into the iPhone? No you can't. You need the specific headphones that have a built in microphone in the cable, just like you need a mic built into a BT set or the stereo.

This isn't specific to Apple, either. It's been the way since we all used Nokia 5110's.

Running calls through a head unit isn't as simple as just sending the sound of the other caller through your speakers. BT setups and stereos that support this function either have external microphones or microphones built into the stereo.

If i was able to get a compatible microphone jack for my interface could it work then?

• Advertisement

If i was able to get a compatible microphone jack for my interface could it work then?
    Well you can't just plug a microphone in and hope it works. What you need is a BT kit installed. This would install a microphone and probably some form of volume/on/off control.

You really would be better off getting a Sony head unit and replacing the stereo. That way you could also play iPhone music wirelessly though the speakers too.

Something like this for a hundred quid.

Well you can't just plug a microphone in and hope it works. What you need is a BT kit installed. This would install a microphone and probably some form of volume/on/off control.

You really would be better off getting a Sony head unit and replacing the stereo. That way you could also play iPhone music wirelessly though the speakers too.

Something like this for a hundred quid.

Yeah but the only reason I can't use that is 1. The steering wheel controls and data information system will not work with an aftermarket unit. 2.My car stereo system has a rear amp and radio reception is not good when an aftermarket unit is installed.

Yeah but the only reason I can't use that is 1. The steering wheel controls and data information system will not work with an aftermarket unit. 2.My car stereo system has a rear amp and radio reception is not good when an aftermarket unit is installed.
    Sounds like a BT kit is your only option. There was one installed in our familywagon when I bought it - works fine with the iPhone for calls - though you can't stream music.

Advertisement