Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

So frustrated!! One step forward, two steps back. I was making great progress with the counsellor and then I saw her today and it just felt like square one all over again and I'm back to not wanting to go back to her. It's all so frustrating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hersheys wrote: »
    So frustrated!! One step forward, two steps back. I was making great progress with the counsellor and then I saw her today and it just felt like square one all over again and I'm back to not wanting to go back to her. It's all so frustrating.

That's annoyance alright, but go back, there will be 'bad' appointments where nothing seems to happen..

That's annoyance alright, but go back, there will be 'bad' appointments where nothing seems to happen..
    I found it so hard with her at the start but the past 3 sessions have been great. Until today. So I've just lost all faith.

How are you doing today?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I found it so hard with her at the start but the past 3 sessions have been great. Until today. So I've just lost all faith.

How are you doing today?

It's one unproductive session, try to see it as a hiccup.. I'll be making a call to see my therapist finally tomorrow..

It's one unproductive session, try to see it as a hiccup.. I'll be making a call to see my therapist finally tomorrow..
    Nah, this is one of many unproductive sessions with her. I know its just a stop-gap until I see the proper team but still :(

Good :) when will you make the appointment for?

• Advertisement

Nah, this is one of many unproductive sessions with her. I know its just a stop-gap until I see the proper team but still :(

Good :) when will you make the appointment for?

Appointment will be next week i'd guess or week after.

Will you stay going to her until you get your appointments sorted?.

I don't know what to do... I actually feel worse after "talking" this morning. So I don't know whether I should subject myself to that again.

I don't know what to do... I actually feel worse after "talking" this morning. So I don't know whether I should subject myself to that again.

How many hours has it been since your meeting?. I've actually felt physically shook up sometimes.

How long left until you hear from the team?.

I normally feel physically shook after it, after the talking and stuff. I normally get really upset and can't face the day.

But today I feel nothing. It wasn't a "good" session in the fact that I talked about what was going on, more that she talked at me (not to me) about what was wrong and stuff.

I normally feel physically shook after it, after the talking and stuff. I normally get really upset and can't face the day.

But today I feel nothing. It wasn't a "good" session in the fact that I talked about what was going on, more that she talked at me (not to me) about what was wrong and stuff.

SH**e to it, such a long road with so many cul de sacs, try to keep the spirits up..

• Advertisement

SH**e to it, such a long road with so many cul de sacs, try to keep the spirits up..
    I'm just kinda done with it at this stage. Very frustrated with everything and just don't have the energy to keep trying to figure it out. I think I'm just resigned to not getting better and this being it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Teddycat

Hello, im not sure if this is the place to be posting on not. Im in my 20s and in college, i have suffered from severe anxiety for past few years, and take medication for it, i recently was referred to a Deans Clinic, i met a very nice lady doctor there. I anticipated just getting a change of medication perhaps, but instead she suggested i attend an anxiety course (in patient) in st Patrick's hospital in Dublin. TBH the thoughts of going to Mental hospital are freaking me out completely:confused:. Im a long way away from Dublin, and going there to stay for a number of weeks would be a massive change. My questions are: Has anyone been there?, was it a scary experience?, are you allowed leave if you go?, Did it make you feel better or worse? can you see any family while your there or use laptop, mobile phone etc.... Im sorry for long post, any advice is appreciated. Extremely frightened at the moment about the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Teddycat wrote: »
    Hello, im not sure if this is the place to be posting on not. Im in my 20s and in college, i have suffered from severe anxiety for past few years, and take medication for it, i recently was referred to a Deans Clinic, i met a very nice lady doctor there. I anticipated just getting a change of medication perhaps, but instead she suggested i attend an anxiety course (in patient) in st Patrick's hospital in Dublin. TBH the thoughts of going to Mental hospital are freaking me out completely:confused:. Im a long way away from Dublin, and going there to stay for a number of weeks would be a massive change. My questions are: Has anyone been there?, was it a scary experience?, are you allowed leave if you go?, Did it make you feel better or worse? can you see any family while your there or use laptop, mobile phone etc.... Im sorry for long post, any advice is appreciated. Extremely frightened at the moment about the whole thing.

Hi, I've been there before so I'll do my best to answer your questions.

I wouldn't say it was a scary experience. I coped with living there. There will likely be other young people your age from different parts of the country staying there so you won't be the only one living a long way from Dublin.

Since you're of that age, you may be put on the young adult program there which is a program for teenagers and young adults who have different issues/illnesses. There is activities every day and groups based around mental health issues. You'll find out when you get there if you'll be on that program (as well as the anxiety one) I'm just presuming here cos of your age.

My first time in hospital kept my illness in check and that was the only time I was there as an inpatient, but I was there as an outpatient a few times. I'm much less ill in certain ways than I was back then but I look at it like a gradual recovery, not an instant fix. I still have to figure some things out about my illness and how I can manage it better but some of the worst parts of it have gone which is good.

They allow visitors in any time really so that won't be problem seeing friends and family. You can use your phone there and laptops too. The nurses might have to charge these though. They didn't let anyone charge their phones themselves when I was there (wires being seen as a risk with depressed people)

It's a nice hospital. Hope things go well for you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JenEffy

I'm 24 and am finishing up a FETAC Business course after getting my college degree last year. I'm trying so hard to find a job and it's really getting me down. I'm still living with my parents and I don't feel independent at all. I can't handle the anxiety. I know a lot of people are in the same boat but it's so hard not to be depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

JenEffy wrote: »
    I'm 24 and am finishing up a FETAC Business course after getting my college degree last year. I'm trying so hard to find a job and it's really getting me down. I'm still living with my parents and I don't feel independent at all. I can't handle the anxiety. I know a lot of people are in the same boat but it's so hard not to be depressed.

I was 29 when I started to find my feet. 27 when I got a dive of a flat on my own but close to home. 28 when I learned to drive. 30 when I got a full time job! Small steps and you'll get there!

I already have a full drivers licence so I have that much at least! Thanks for your reply, hearing from people like you reminds me to be more laid back about it :)

I still have bad days. This week has been horrible with anxiety. When I was 24, I would have stayed in bed all day/all week. I'm taking shorter days at work (thank God for supportive bosses!) but I get up every day, shower, get dressed, get to work and do what I can. And try to remember that I'm actually doing ok :-)
    I wouldn't say it gets easier but it becomes a habit more than anything else

It's my parents that are the problem, more than anything. I'm pretty different to them. They're highly judgmental and they drive me up the wall. One comment from them makes me want to self-harm (and sometimes I do self-harm). They're essentially good people but I can't stand them most of the time. Once I move out they won't see me much. I'm glad you work in such a supportive environment, that's so great of your boss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Teddycat

Hi, I've been there before so I'll do my best to answer your questions.

I wouldn't say it was a scary experience. I coped with living there. There will likely be other young people your age from different parts of the country staying there so you won't be the only one living a long way from Dublin.

Since you're of that age, you may be put on the young adult program there which is a program for teenagers and young adults who have different issues/illnesses. There is activities every day and groups based around mental health issues. You'll find out when you get there if you'll be on that program (as well as the anxiety one) I'm just presuming here cos of your age.

My first time in hospital kept my illness in check and that was the only time I was there as an inpatient, but I was there as an outpatient a few times. I'm much less ill in certain ways than I was back then but I look at it like a gradual recovery, not an instant fix. I still have to figure some things out about my illness and how I can manage it better but some of the worst parts of it have gone which is good.

They allow visitors in any time really so that won't be problem seeing friends and family. You can use your phone there and laptops too. The nurses might have to charge these though. They didn't let anyone charge their phones themselves when I was there (wires being seen as a risk with depressed people)

It's a nice hospital. Hope things go well for you there.

Thankyou so much for your reply, she did not mention a young peoples group,but i will ask when i see her. Its good that you got on well there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Hi all, I hope this is ok to ask. I'm just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with Effexor/Venlafaxine. I've been taking it for about a year now for depression and anxiety, and have moved up doses a few times with no really noticeable side effects. At the start of the month, my doc put me up from 150mg to 225mg and this week I have been too wired to sleep. It might not be the medication at all. I have exams coming up and could be feeling anxious (though I don't normally), and my roommate is coughing a lot at night, so that might be what's waking me up. It's the fact that even after three nights of proper sleep (or any real sleep) I'm not tired that's making me think it might be related to the dosage increase.

I'm not looking for medical advice (I am going to call my doctor if it continues), I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Hi all, I hope this is ok to ask. I'm just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with Effexor/Venlafaxine. I've been taking it for about a year now for depression and anxiety, and have moved up doses a few times with no really noticeable side effects. At the start of the month, my doc put me up from 150mg to 225mg and this week I have been too wired to sleep. It might not be the medication at all. I have exams coming up and could be feeling anxious (though I don't normally), and my roommate is coughing a lot at night, so that might be what's waking me up. It's the fact that even after three nights of proper sleep (or any real sleep) I'm not tired that's making me think it might be related to the dosage increase.

I'm not looking for medical advice (I am going to call my doctor if it continues), I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Effexor was great for me at first but its positive effects did not last for me. At higher doses I had a lot of anger and anxiety, disturbed sleep and nightmares. Withdrawals were a pig also. Nightmares, sweats, brain shocks, tremors.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Hi All !
    Sorry I've not been around much , been hectic .
    How are y'all?

Hey Kaching! Hows things down south?

Surviving ok. Know the hectic feeling. Work is BANANAS!!! Doing ok, but this week has been a little shaky

If work is that tasty I wouldnt miss it :P

Cheeky! Tasty it ain't - maybe I shouldve said BITTER LEMONS!!! :-)

Cheeky's my middle name :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

After increasing my anti ds 7 days ago I have gone through sheer hell. Constant anxiety all the time. Can't look after my kids my mother has been here for me as my husband at work. I rang the gp today to tell him they haven't kicked in by now (I'm on 40mg citalopram up from 30mg been on them 5 years). I am completely mentally exhausted and down. I think it is rock bottom and may sign myself into hospital for a few days. Have never been in a psych ward before but I need to get better. Has anyone any positive encouragement as I'm at my wits end :(

Self imposed exile not so bad so far. I might be able to work some stuff out, especially with going back to my therapist..

Also, welcome back Kaching. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

lukesmom wrote: »
    After increasing my anti ds 7 days ago I have gone through sheer hell. Constant anxiety all the time. Can't look after my kids my mother has been here for me as my husband at work. I rang the gp today to tell him they haven't kicked in by now (I'm on 40mg citalopram up from 30mg been on them 5 years). I am completely mentally exhausted and down. I think it is rock bottom and may sign myself into hospital for a few days. Have never been in a psych ward before but I need to get better. Has anyone any positive encouragement as I'm at my wits end :(

Is there any self help support groups in your area.

Like grow or aware, sometimes meeting up with people who are going through depression can be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Yes there are but too nervous to leave house but I'm terrified the tablets won't kick in and it's this anxiety that has left me not able to eat or sleep. I want to take a whole box just to block it out bit I'd never do it. That's just my anxiety and I'm at a loss at where to go next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement