Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greystones - eFibre (Eircom Fibre Roll-out)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I'm just looking forwards to the 1G speeds coming through the power lines. Hopefully that won't be too much further off. Know Greystones is on the shortlist, hoping some of the surrounding areas get a chance to piggy back in as right now we tend to miss out on a lot of things, eg UPC here is just TV nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Taltos wrote: »
    I'm just looking forwards to the 1G speeds coming through the power lines. Hopefully that won't be too much further off. Know Greystones is on the shortlist, hoping some of the surrounding areas get a chance to piggy back in as right now we tend to miss out on a lot of things, eg UPC here is just TV nothing else.

Greystones is on the list for the ESB fibre (which is using the brand "Siro") but not the initial 10 towns, so it'll be a couple of years.

Greystones is on the initial 16 town list for Eircom's fibre to the home product which is supposed to launch in August, so that will likely be available first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cdiv

loyatemu wrote: »
    The Comreg holdup that was preventing a lot of lines from getting eFibre was (mostly) resolved last week. Anyone waiting on eFibre should check again this week - my line is now showing as available.

Does that mean you are on an exchange connected line and the line checker is now showing that you can get e-Fibre?

I'm on a exchange fed line and the line checker is still showing that e-Fibre is not available.

cdiv wrote: »
    Does that mean you are on an exchange connected line and the line checker is now showing that you can get e-Fibre?

yes, as of today. Though Vodafone's line checker (which is the only one that gives back an actual speed) says I can only get 24Mb. Previously it said I could get 19Mb, in reality I currently get 16Mb from ADSL. So it's not much of an increase, but it may be underestimating and the upstream speed should be much better.
    I'm on a exchange fed line and the line checker is still showing that e-Fibre is not available.

possibly they haven't fully updated the database yet, or you're too far from the exchange.

There may also be a small number of lines that they won't enable for technical reasons (you can have a look at the comreg document for details, but the essence is that there were concerns that eVDSL would interfere with cVDSL where they share trunk paths - Comreg found that it is a risk is a small number of cases).

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

Finally after years waiting I get notice in the post that eFibre available. Woohoo.

So I rang only to be told that max download speed I (at my address) can get is 15Mb :mad:

I have 12Mb (off 24Mb service) on copper as it is.

Maybe I just need to wait another 4 years for FTH. Faaaaaack!

• Advertisement

legrand wrote: »
    Finally after years waiting I get notice in the post that eFibre available. Woohoo.

So I rang only to be told that max download speed I (at my address) can get is 15Mb :mad:

I have 12Mb (off 24Mb service) on copper as it is.

Maybe I just need to wait another 4 years for FTH. Faaaaaack!

Yeah, I can only get 25Mb - it's better than the current 16 but not by much. Upload should be 7Mb, up from < 1 currently.

FTTH is supposed to be rolling out in Greystones from August, but it's not yet clear which streets it will be available on.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

Anyone else living in/near rathdown park and not getting efibre notice that the service is appalling in the evenings of late? Esp around now? I'm not doing much besides streaming. But it's practically grinding to a halt most evenings. Really getting fed up but I don't think there are any alternatives available to me at present...

Shazerina wrote: »
    Anyone else living in/near rathdown park and not getting efibre notice that the service is appalling in the evenings of late? Esp around now? I'm not doing much besides streaming. But it's practically grinding to a halt most evenings. Really getting fed up but I don't think there are any alternatives available to me at present...

UPC are coming (they're working on Church Road today).

WOOHOO!!! :-)

I saw eircom digging and doing fairly extensive work yesterday at those green boxes at the top of rathdown park, across from Esso. Is this a good sign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 burnaby

I saw eircom digging and doing fairly extensive work yesterday at those green boxes at the top of rathdown park, across from Esso. Is this a good sign?

Eircom vans and personnel have also been working in the Mill Road area, on Thursday, Friday and even Saturday this week, installing new fibre runs. Assuming that this work, and work at the top of Rathdown Park, is improving / extending their fibre network, this has to be positive.

The work must improve services, either by improving capacity / bandwidth, or by enabling delivery of new services. Hopefully both!

Whatever improvement comes, whether it's in Eircom's own service, or in the services of other providers who piggyback on Eircom's network, it'll be very welcome. And long overdue. Unfortunately, we will probably still be in the dark ages when compared to many similarly sized towns elsewhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

FTTH (fibre to the home) as being announced and starting in in Greystones from August (I believe).

Is it fair to assume that only those houses already served by Fibre cabs will be potentially be able to avail of this - that is, those 'directly connected' to the exchange will not get this service? Simple reasoning here is that otherwise they would need to blow fibre from exchange to individual house or provide additional fibre street cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

WOOHOO!!! :-)

This says it all really. I think this pretty much sums up Eircom in Greystones perfectly. When UPC arrived, I remember service wasn't great, support wasn't great, and there were problems. Eircom rested on their laurels, I feel. UPC put in the investment (nationally) to get better services in place and get ahead of the game, and now they're being cheered with "WOOHOO!!!" Eircom doing extensive digging is them playing catch up now.
    burnaby wrote:
    Unfortunately, we will probably still be in the dark ages when compared to many similarly sized towns elsewhere in Europe.

This is so true though. We've always been behind :( , I lived abroad 11 years ago and had 12Mb down and 3Mb up, for €38 a month including calls. 11 effin years ago! What can I get now with Eircom Fibre in my area? 16Mb down and almost 4 up. I'm about 300m from the box!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Eircom laying some green cable in the first Charlesland Wood atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭adam240610

Anyone know anything about fibre in redford park? We've had people call around multiple times promising it done in two weeks, this was a good four or five months ago at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

LEIN wrote: »
    Eircom laying some green cable in the first Charlesland Wood atm.

They already did the grove and park

Banta wrote: »
    This says it all really. I think this pretty much sums up Eircom in Greystones perfectly. When UPC arrived, I remember service wasn't great, support wasn't great, and there were problems. Eircom rested on their laurels, I feel. UPC put in the investment (nationally) to get better services in place and get ahead of the game, and now they're being cheered with "WOOHOO!!!" Eircom doing extensive digging is them playing catch up now.

This is so true though. We've always been behind :( , I lived abroad 11 years ago and had 12Mb down and 3Mb up, for €38 a month including calls. 11 effin years ago! What can I get now with Eircom Fibre in my area? 16Mb down and almost 4 up. I'm about 300m from the box!

Agree with you, absolutely. My woohoo was one of excitement with just a little sprinkling of sarcasm on top! I was shocked when I moved here to find that I couldn't get fibre broadband. But hey, better late than never, eh?😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Some seriously skilled guys in Charlesland Wood today wiring up each fibre stand for the FTTH. I asked about speeds, told 1Gb speed! Cool! Take that UPC.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

astrofluff wrote: »
    Some seriously skilled guys in Charlesland Wood today wiring up each fibre stand for the FTTH. I asked about speeds, told 1Gb speed! Cool! Take that UPC.

They've been at that since Friday, including yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

LEIN wrote: »
    They've been at that since Friday, including yesterday.

Even though they have placed a new Huawei cabinet up the top of Rathdown Park there is no sign of any development for direct fed customers...I think the old man will only get a better chance of faster broadband if he moves with mam. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 burnaby

Pity you didn't ask about the prices - when you hear them, you won't think it's quite so cool!

I'm not posting what I heard, because I can't stand over it, but it won't entice me to GB/s service from Eircom.

red_bairn wrote: »
    Even though they have placed a new Huawei cabinet up the top of Rathdown Park there is no sign of any development for direct fed customers...I think the old man will only get a better chance of faster broadband if he moves with mam. :pac:

Just checked my number with my fingers, toes and eyes crossed and no luck. I might head with your mam too!😉

They've moved on so won't be able to ask. Quick google shows nothing. They only want you to register interest with no price information on their site. One result for Irish Times website says its a "premium product with a premium price attached"!! So no competitive pricing then when there's no competition on this scale of product!

astrofluff wrote:
    They've moved on so won't be able to ask. Quick google shows nothing. They only want you to register interest with no price information on their site. One result for Irish Times website says its a "premium product with a premium price attached"!! So no competitive pricing then when there's no competition on this scale of product!

No noticeable difference between UPC 240Mb and Eircom/Siro 1Gb for most people. There will be 150 & 300Mb products as well.

Eircom own all the fibre bands in the country since they laid them all, so service no matter who your provider is lays with eircom, and I have to say, since moving here, my broadband is down as often as it's up. I am lucky to have limitless data on my mobile provider, because I have to switch between using that as a hotspot and using the broadband about once every half hour. We're on Sky broadband here. The service is so terrible that I feel like smashing the modem sometimes.

Eircom own all the fibre bands in the country since they laid them all, so service no matter who your provider is lays with eircom, and I have to say, since moving here, my broadband is down as often as it's up. I am lucky to have limitless data on my mobile provider, because I have to switch between using that as a hotspot and using the broadband about once every half hour. We're on Sky broadband here. The service is so terrible that I feel like smashing the modem sometimes.
    I thought upc (or virgin as they are about to rebrand to) was different? I know vodafone and others just resell eircom's product but I thought upc were using their own 'stuff'? So it is a real competitor

Slightly off-topic. I see ESB and Vodafone are trialling this new SIRO in a few towns. Greystones is one if the 50 towns to be first rolled it to. I can't see how it works as I thought copper was slow technology but SIRO will use the existing ESB infrastructure getting 1,000Mb speeds?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I thought upc (or virgin as they are about to rebrand to) was different? I know vodafone and others just resell eircom's product but I thought upc were using their own 'stuff'? So it is a real competitor

They are. budgese is wrong.

Eircom uses Fibre (Fibre to the Cabinet) + Copper (from cabinet to the house/premise).

UPC use HFC which is FTTC and Coaxial.

Both UPC and Eircom (Wholesale) have their own unique networks.
    Slightly off-topic. I see ESB and Vodafone are trialling this new SIRO in a few towns. Greystones is one if the 50 towns to be first rolled it to. I can't see how it works as I thought copper was slow technology but SIRO will use the existing ESB infrastructure getting 1,000Mb speeds?!

Yes, ESB with SIRO as their installers will use the existing power lines to attach fibre within protected shielding along from one ESB pole to another and it will come through the house by coming through the same ducts your electricity is provided from. There would be a unit put beside your current electricity meter and they would need to drill through the wall (if say it is outside in a side shed like my parents' home) into the house and then install the main device that would provide the internet connection to your home. See the device here on Eircom's wholesale NGA Technical Handbook - Page 62

they're not using the copper power lines directly. ESB already have fibre strung along their HT pylon network (mostly leased to ISPs for backhaul), Siro will be running fibre into peoples homes using ESB's existing poles and ducts.

The end technology is the same that Eircom are using for their new "Ultrafast" product - i.e. FTTH using GPON. Eircom and Siro seem to be rolling out to many of the same towns (including to Greystones) - it remains to be seen how much their networks will overlap and whether they will wholesale each other's products (seems wasteful for them to be running fibre down the same streets).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

UPC fibre going into Rathdown Park this week.

Advertisement