Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best place to live in Waterford City?

• 13-12-2011 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Retiring back to Ireland soon and keeping my mind open as to where. Always liked Waterford and now houses seem quite keenly priced there. I don't drive so walking distance/public transport is important. Are there any parts of the City/suburbs I really should avoid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Landmags wrote: »
    Retiring back to Ireland soon and keeping my mind open as to where. Always liked Waterford and now houses seem quite keenly priced there. I don't drive so walking distance/public transport is important. Are there any parts of the City/suburbs I really should avoid?
    stay clear of templars hall unless ya like noisy students!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

st johns park is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

People generally see the east side of the city as being better than other parts. Ferrybank (north of the river) is not a bad spot, but there's always the feeling that it's a little apart from the rest of town.

Given that you don't drive, I would recommend the following:
    - Dunmore Road before the hospital: lots of local shops and a couple of pubs, bus into town every 20 minutes during the day.
    - Near the Park: Water St, South Parade, Ballytruckle etc. Check out whether Poleberry is prone to flooding though - I think it is.
    - Ballybricken area and the "top of the town" (Morrison's Road etc.). Nice old settled area with a lot of character (and characters). The friendliest and most villagey part of the city.

Down around James St is full of eastern Europeans, so on the one hand it's quite a vibrant, generally safe area, but on the other hand it can be just a bit noisy for some tastes. William St is similar, but quickly gets quieter over towards Adelphi Quay.

Good luck!

dunmore rd area is full of snobs,
    id reccomend ballybricken gracedue area where real waterford people live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Billy you talk an awful lot of ****

• Advertisement

Billy you talk an awful lot of ****

what do **** mean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Its ***** without the e

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭stephen1968

near the peoples park is nice plus very close on foot to town center.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

dunmore rd area is full of snobs,
    id reccomend ballybricken gracedue area where real waterford people live.

What makes you say that? I know plenty of people from the Dunmore road area and they are anything but snobs.

I'm from Lisduggan btw.

you tell them boy......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

you tell them boy......

Some handbags on here sometimes alright boy, stick around. More posters the merrier. Delighted earlier on when I noticed a new female poster :P;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Ferrybank or the Dunmore road/Ardkeen area would be the best places to retire to IMO.

With Ferrybank you have a nice village with regular buses into the town. There's an Aldi and a shopping center to open in the new year. There's also a couple of small shops and pubs. There is also cheap houses for sale near the shops.

On the Dunmore road there is both a Tesco and a Lidl and also the Ardkeen stores. Located beside Tesco there is a Next and Homebase as well as a bowling alley nearby if you have any grandchildren. Waterford Regional Hospital is located in Ardkeen in case there is an emergency. There is a frequent bus service into the town as well.

As for places to avoid, Ballybeg is generally the roughest area of Waterford. Templars hall and Lismore Park are populated by students during the term so I would recommend avoiding those areas as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Newtown and somewhere like Summerville Avenue in particular is the premier location, depending on your budget. Very quiet, yet very handy for town, shopping, hospital etc.

20 min walk max or 5 min drive. Ardkeen Shopping Centre is around the corner also, which is an excellent facility.

Personally I don't think the Dunmore Road has aged very well. It was over developed in the boom and lacks facilities. Suffers with traffic also.

With a lot of the rental housing came a lot of undesirables who reckoned they'd achieved a life ambition by making it out there. New money who are probably the snobs who people here will refer to. People who came from money are generally more down to earth in my experience, and these types of people make up the bulk of the Newtown population.

While the area immediately around the park is convenient for town and has some nice property, it can be dangerous at night time, and increasingly during daylight or so I'm told as it provides would be criminals with perfect cover.

Personally I couldn't see myself moving up to the other side of town, and I'm sure it works the other way for many people who live up there love it and wouldn never wish to leave.

Now if you don't mind I must retire for the night - I have a game of tennis scheduled for the morning.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Some handbags on here sometimes alright boy, stick around. More posters the merrier. Delighted earlier on when I noticed a new female poster :P;)

not a bother boy,just joined up on here as new to waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Ballybricken top of the town is the best place but I'm a bit biased

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

fricatus wrote: »
    People generally see the east side of the city as being better than other parts. Ferrybank (north of the river) is not a bad spot, but there's always the feeling that it's a little apart from the rest of town.

Given that you don't drive, I would recommend the following:
    - Dunmore Road before the hospital: lots of local shops and a couple of pubs, bus into town every 20 minutes during the day.
    - Near the Park: Water St, South Parade, Ballytruckle etc. Check out whether Poleberry is prone to flooding though - I think it is.
    - Ballybricken area and the "top of the town" (Morrison's Road etc.). Nice old settled area with a lot of character (and characters). The friendliest and most villagey part of the city.

Down around James St is full of eastern Europeans, so on the one hand it's quite a vibrant, generally safe area, but on the other hand it can be just a bit noisy for some tastes. William St is similar, but quickly gets quieter over towards Adelphi Quay.

Good luck!
    Where is James st in waterford

Where is James st in waterford

dont go near it, full of foreigners.
    same with thomas st, ann st, o connell st and all the little side streets leading onto o connell st.

ballybricken would be a good spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

probably just best to avoid any of the places billy suggests op ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

Where in walking Distance of Waterford City is there a residential area with nice views in anybody's opinion?? I can't think of many. Lots of lovely views in the Waterford Countryside/ Coast though of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Birdfood wrote: »
    Where in walking Distance of Waterford City is there a residential area with nice views in anybody's opinion?? I can't think of many. Lots of lovely views in the Waterford Countryside/ Coast though of course.
    Them houses on the right up gracdieu just after the bucket factory. Grand view.

If you stand outside my house there's a lovely view. Espescially when I'm standing at the door haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JessyH

The Peoples park is a good area... are you set on Waterford? Carlingford is very nice in Louth and your right beside the North as well...

Birdfood wrote: »

bowfield in gracedue is a new estate and has great views over the river and new and old bridge, and its only a 10 min walk from the city center

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

bowfield in gracedue is a new estate and has great views over the river and new and old bridge, and its only a 10 min walk from the city center

Yeah, but a wind that would cut you in two blowing through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

Top of the Town area is THE best area :) FACT

then again im biased also

savic04 wrote: »
    Top of the Town area is THE best area :) FACT

then again im biased also

i totally agree with you, and im from johns park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

i totally agree with you, and im from johns park.

Ah a Johnny Lander.

I live out in Lisduggan. It's a grand place altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 loopy80

Paddy Brownes Road,

what is this area like? A good place to settle with a family?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 loopy80

And what about Norwood?

• Advertisement
Advertisement