Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parachute centre - Offaly - how long to wait?

• 25-04-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Doing a parachute jump soon and have to be there for 9am. Just wondering if anyone knows what the general timeframe would be to wait as it's first come first served? Does this mean 1 hour? 3 hours? I know it depends on how many are there, but surely there can't be really THAT many people skydiving?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Drop by anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From AH. Just be there for 9 and bring a book? I'm sure you'll be nervous so time will pass quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

Thanks. No the reason I'm asking is because a friend has offered to come, but I'm wondering timewise whether I'll be done around 11 and can drop her home, or if I'm later I won't be able to, and it's a bit awkward to get a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

Kinda depends on the weather as much as anything. I take it you're doing a tandem jump rather than a solo?

• Advertisement

Yeah a tandem one. I don't mind waiting, but it's just a gauge I wanted to know whether I'd drop her back home or not. Ah well. Maybe I'll just leave her behind :P Won't be worried about timing then!

My first jump there was a tandem in beautiful sunshine and I was there for about 5 hours waiting. If I recall there was a big charity jump on before us so we had to go to the back of the queue. There for 9 and gone by 1. I did a solo course after and couldn't jump at all that day because of the weather.

I'd suggest bringing a good book and not putting any time scale on it if I were you!

Thank you. Would give you 'thanks' but can't as I'm only a newbie! But thanks for your help!

No problem.

Have fun, you'll love it!!

Hope so! At the moment, I'm scared to go higher than the 3rd step on a ladder, so I'll definitely have to be pushed out I reckon! :D

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I crapped myself everytime I went up in the plane (for 20 jumps) but when the door opens out you go. Besides you'll have a very experienced tandem instructor strapped to your back to take care of things. Some people like the freefall part but for me there's no feeling like hanging from a canopy and gliding through the air. You'll most definitely remember the experience

Thank you, I've no doubt you're right. I will enjoy it I'm sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

It depends on which skydiving centre you're going to. In one they schedule people throughout the day. 9, 10, 12 etc. In the other everyone is scheduled at 9 and you take your chances. You could be waiting all day or finished around 10am.

Believe it or not there really are THAT many people going skydiving in this country.

I am scheduled at the one at 9am and it's first come first served. Weather looks to be brightening up now, hope it gets to go ahead Saturday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

FairCity12 wrote: »
    I am scheduled at the one at 9am and it's first come first served. Weather looks to be brightening up now, hope it gets to go ahead Saturday! :)

Bring a book, weather doesn't look great for Saturday.

What dropzone are you going to?

Advertisement