Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo's GAA curse

• 08-08-2011 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Has anyone else heard of the curse put on the mayo players the last time they won the final? I remember hearin' it when i was younger but can't remember how it came about! Has anyone got any ideas? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I believe it was a curse by a priest that said Mayo wouldn't win another All-Ireland until there were no more surviving members of the last winning team left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

total bull****, none of the 1951 team ever even heard of it when asked

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

an urban myth.

best of luck to them against Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I believe it was a curse by a priest that said Mayo wouldn't win another All-Ireland until there were no more surviving members of the last winning team left.

This is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Something got to do with paying no repect to a funeral when they were passing through strokestown on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Something got to do with paying no repect to a funeral when they were passing through strokestown on the way home.

Urban myth.. According to player of the last winning team ( who happens to be a priest )

What Mayo needs is faith.... Not myths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

alex73 wrote: »
    Urban myth.. According to player of the last winning team ( who happens to be a priest )

What Mayo needs is faith.... Not myths.

Very true. Too many people have a negative attitude. THINK POSITIVE.
    Put flags and bunting out, show the lads that we are behind them. Above all don't keep saying "Not in my life time".

Go for fellers, you can do it.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gnilhsa

Oh well, Maybe next year! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

gnilhsa wrote: »
    Oh well, Maybe next year! :(

Wouldnt bet on it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Wouldnt bet on it

Behave.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Behave.

Behave yourself

I have to say that I fail to see what the moderator's problem is here?:confused:.

Perhaps yop, you could explain a little better.

My comment to leonadas83 is that we have to live in hope (or die in despair).

We may have strayed a little from the myth subject, but that's the way conversations go.

I for one am especially interested in seeing if there is any substance to the curse theory as I am sure their are gaa players out there who are superstitious and wonder whether this affects them during matches or not

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

leonidas83 wrote: »
    I for one am especially interested in seeing if there is any substance to the curse theory as I am sure their are gaa players out there who are superstitious and wonder whether this affects during matches or not

Well lets see if anyone has any sight, its highly unlikely that it does and its a wives tale anyway.

*******removing irrelevant thread posts******

This is cod.

btw any truth in the rumour that the real reason is that the devil, who was said to have appeared at Tooreen Dancehall in the '60's, put a curse on the team because he wasn't selected as full back?.

Something to do with the selectors being in the Legion of Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Another year of hurt to add.

nuac wrote: »
    This is cod.

btw any truth in the rumour that the real reason is that the devil, who was said to have appeared at Tooreen Dancehall in the '60's, put a curse on the team because he wasn't selected as full back.

Something to do with the selectors being in the Legion of Mary

Nice one nuac:D.

This is probably the nearest to the truth!!!
    Certainly the easiest to believe for me.:)

Yes great nights in Tooreen in the sixties. The late Canon Horan later of Knock Airport was curate in Tooreen and was to be seen at thos dances smiling broadly and neither confirming nor denying that the scorch mark on the floor was made by old Nick. Great promoter, even then.

Ladies used to look down to see whether prospective dance partners had a cloven hoof, and the more forward hussies would check for a tail. That was decades before Liz Hurley in The Devil Wore Prada floated the idea that the devil could also be in feminine form. That hall, away from any major population centres, prospered for many years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

After the final on the 29th April 1888, a man of the road called Bernard Kerr from Louth decided to stay in the capital. A few years later, as he sold boxes of matches outside the Clonturk Park, he carried a clump of Ragworth which he had uprooted from the side of the (Tolka?) nearby and (for a small donation) would examine the roots and give football forecasts. A victorious Corkman, who had taken a good few on board, gave him a sixpence piece and asked his opinion of Munster teams. Still heartbroken by the result years earlier, he declared that the fields of Limerick would be clear, "of this flower, before Limerick would win another All Ireland with the big ball".

I heard this story many years ago - told by a young Limerickman.

I had also heard of the Tooreen curse. Seemingly he disappeared out through a crack in the wall when the propietor's wife threw the Holy Water in his direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

I think I remember hearing something along the line of ....the Mayo team were making a hell of a lot of noise coming back home after the 1951 win and a priest put a curse on them as they ,in his opinion,had disrespected a funeral,but it could just as easily be one of those myths.The only thing that cursed them last Sunday was the genius of Colm Cooper,is the game of gaelic football very poor now when its greatest player only has to rise to greatness on a couple of occasions a year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Maybe we could get the 'curse of magically appearing potholes' lifted as well as the GAA curse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement