Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

.22 Substitution

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Im like the sounds of all these aftermarket upgrades will be getting a nice stock for definite

Great deal just too far to travel cass,

Anyone in Griffen Hawe next 2 weeks let me know will be in in 2 weeks

Wallet will only allow gun + 100-125 euro hopefully ill have 400-425 to spend,Scope on the gun is a must and a silencer must be gotten!Have a nice Swivel Harris bipod and Sling already from previous rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Well you should have enough then, I bought mine new for 400. There are plenty of decent second hand one too which i would have no problem in buying. Even without a mod a .22 is very quiet. They are a great gun. and as you can get 500 rounds for 40 euro it is very cheap to feed. :)

Yeah but a .22 with one is as quiet as an air rifle with sub sonic's haha.

Wanted a 17Hmr but noise and then feed was too expensive 17 euro for a box of 50!

Is that bulk stuff any good?Might stick to the more expensive stuff for hunting.

Im liking going from 25-30 yards range to around 100 thats whats pushing to getting a .22LR

Thats not bulk stuff that is for cci standard velocity they group very well in my rifle like i said a ragged hole all day, I wouldn't even buy that federal rubbish. You will be able to reach out a bit further but you will need to work out your drops etc... every rifle is different so it is something you will need to do yourself. You can either shoot over a chronograph and use a ballistic calculator or use a range finder and shoot at targets at different marked out distances.

Oh you got a brick of 10 boxes of 50?

Hows everyrifle different if its using the same ammo?

Im liking the selection of ammo subs standard hypervelocity and the bird/rat shot looks cool

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

1shot16 wrote: »

There's a lot of variation in the manufacture of both rifles and ammo.

Two CZ 452s might like different types, brands or even batches of ammunition. Similarly your rifle might shoot really well with one batch of ammo and then shoot quite badly with the next batch of the same ammo.

You can get very anal about it but at the start it's best to find a few small samples of ammo you can afford and find which works "good enough" in your rifle.

Then it's up to you to get good enough that you are more accurate than the ammo is. :)

IRLConor wrote: »
    There's a lot of variation in the manufacture of both rifles and ammo.

Two CZ 452s might like different types, brands or even batches of ammunition. Similarly your rifle might shoot really well with one batch of ammo and then shoot quite badly with the next batch of the same ammo.

You can get very anal about it but at the start it's best to find a few small samples of ammo you can afford and find which works "good enough" in your rifle.

Then it's up to you to get good enough that you are more accurate than the ammo is. :)

Took me a while to find the right pellet for my air rifle!

Will be using alot of sub sonic's for hunting are they accurate?

Would the bulk stuff be okay for pinking only around 35 for 525 bulk box and get some more accurate stuff for hunting?

Oh you got a brick of 10 boxes of 50?

No it is 5 boxes of 100.
    Each barrel will act differently, different rounds will group better in different barrels, there could be a slight change in velocity and obviously different rifles will have different barrel lengths which ill also affect velocity etc.. which is why your rifle will act different shooting the same ammo. Even if you had two identical rifles shooting ammunition from the same box they can act differently.
    Which is why you will need to find a bullet to suit your rifle and just stick with it. there can be other issues too for instance if i shoot winchester super x through mine they will group well but won't extract every other type of ammunition will but they wont for some reason, my friend has the same rifle and has no problem with them at all.

Took me a while to find the right pellet for my air rifle!

Would the bulk stuff be okay for pinking only around 35 for 525 bulk box and get some more accurate stuff for hunting?

Yes they are very accurate, You can easily make a clean kill on a rabbit at 120 if you are competent enough i would leave shooting anything at that distance until you know your rifle and have enough experience shooting in different conditions etc..

I wouldn't waste my money on the bulk stuff, unless it was the laupa/sk but they are about E60, the best cheap ammunition i have round is the standard cci HP it's a great round. Stay away from remington ammunition they are also not worth the money, crap accuracy and constant misfires they are dirt.
    If i were you i would try some winchester super x, cci standard hp, or some segmented hollow points they split into 3 on impact, stingers/velocitors are good too but much much louder. I wouldn't buy the federal bulk nor remington anything.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

All the good target stuff is subsonic. I don't know how good the hunting subs are though.

Try the cheap stuff first. Try it on paper and then when you know how accurate it (and you!) are you can make the decision on whether you need to spend more.

• Advertisement

Sound for the replies,Will consider wha ye all sed :)

I take it sitting birds such as crows and mapies can be taken at 120 - 140 yards if you know ur drop

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

For the 36 gr 1260 fps copper plated HP, the CCI Mini Mags in the 100 bricks are good quality and very accurate in my experience. The Federal 525 bulk packs are not quite as accurate but good for practice.

I own a Rem 597 that is very accurate and I am extremely happy with it. However I suspect that for what you are wanting to do a nice quality bolt action gun would be the best option for the money.

Went into griffin hawke today,Sold the hw97k for 300 which was alot more than i though id get!
    Bought a cz 452 made in 05
    Stocks has seen better days,Paid 350 and got a parker hale suppressor,
    Not too worried about the stock as i plan to upgrade it in the future.
    I am not sure of the model has iron sights, pretty long barrel and wooden stock,Any ideas on model,Hopefully sub will be fast!

Went into griffin hawke today,Sold the hw97k for 300 which was alot more than i though id get!
    Not too worried about the stock as i plan to upgrade it in the future.
    I am not sure of the model has iron sights, pretty long barrel and wooden stock,Any ideas on model,Hopefully sub will be fast!

It is a cz452 Lux and as you can up a mod on it is one from CZ and not the usa. The are a great rifle i have one and it is a tack driver. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Best of luck and straight shooting with It lad. Never get rid of it noting beats plinking with a .22 and mod on a summer evening. 452 is a great rifle with some of the best iron sights.

valerossi wrote: »
    Best of luck and straight shooting with It lad. Never get rid of it noting beats plinking with a .22 and mod on a summer evening. 452 is a great rifle with some of the best iron sights.

Yeah should i get the high mounts that you can see through for the iron sights or the medium which would probably suit best,Do you use a scope or iron sights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

Yeah should i get the high mounts that you can see through for the iron sights or the medium which would probably suit best,Do you use a scope or iron sights?

I grew up shooting with iron sights but theirs no point shooting with iron sights if you have a scope really. The rear sight clicks off just press it down and push backwards. The mounts depends on size of your optic.
    You'll most lightly need a cheek riser on a factory stock to.

Yeah i have 70-90 to spend on a new scope,Want at least 12 power magnification 16 would be nice

Could be the ultra lux with a 28.5 inc barrel,The spec are 46 inc long and my hw97k was the same and i put them side to side and they were the same size

Specs say my hw97k is 40 inchs and the lux is 42.5 and they were near the same size so must be the LUX

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sold the hw97k for 300 which was alot more than i though id get!
    Considering the above, and this from your other thread:
    Yep thanks for that put lr down...

Just one quire the gun has been used quite a bit i plan to re finish the stock ,i noticed the bolt being a small bit loose when chamber the round and locking it into place it seemed to take very little pressure to move it up,Should i worry about this or it it just the wear has done this?
    Are you happy with your purchase? Have you looked around?

The reason i ask, and i'm not one to second guess a lad's choice, is for €420 you can get a brand new rifle. Add on €25 for rings and €90 - €100 and you have a reliable little Hawke HD scope. So for €540 you have a brand new set up.

As it is you are paying €350 for a rifle that in your own words has seen better days, with no scope, rings, etc. So add the €120 you will spend on rings and a scope to the amount you have gotten for your rifle and you have handed out €470 for a second hand one.

For another €50 you can go brand new.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Yeah i am happy enough i had to buy there and then though didnt really look around stakelums had no 452's and there was 5 at Griffen Hawe old and used none new.
    I will re finish the stock though using the birchwood and casey refinishing set lads on youtube have shown its great when done properly and its something to do.

I did mention it had a parker hale suppressor on it worth 50?

so 50 or more for the new gun and 50 for a suppressor makes 100 or over,I would have got a new 452 or a cz455 but i just dont have the money only have 50-75 for ammo,I am happy with the purchase just the stock needs re doing and id like to do that as ive lots of time during the summer!

The action looks clean with no major scratches, and the safety and bolt work fine!

I am not sure i am a fan of the long barrel though especially with the supressor but im happy to be changing to a cz 452 .22lr

I understand what you are saying and if you are happy then great. All i'm saying is don't be taken in by a €50 mod. You need permission on your license in the form of an "S" to have it so if refused it you won't be getting it anyway.

A .22lr with subsonics is very quiet anyway. The mod only reduces this further. As for Stakelums, he has no second hand ones, but the price above are his prices for a new kit, and he has one in stock. But i'm not trying to get you to buy from him, anyone else can do the same.

I've shopped at Griffin & Hawes over the last 16 or so years and they are among the dearest out there. A mod i bought from another dealer for €365 was €485. A CZ 452 was €475 yet €420 everywhere else. Ruger 10/22 for €500 when i could get it for €400 elsewhere. The CZ 455 i bought. €630+ in G&H and i got mine for €570 and they were €550 in Paul O'Halloran. Just shop around before jumping on the first thing you see.

All i was trying to say was, even taking into account the cost of the mod, for €100 you have a brand new rifle that no one else has touched or used and no need for you to do any repair work to the stock, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ye i understand what you were saying... it came down to not having the money i would have liked to be able to spend on a new gun only paid 50 ontop of my air rifle and i would of had to spend 125 ontop if i had bought new if they are 425 new excluding the suppressor....
    He had new 455's for 520 euro which was not bad if only i had the money!
    Just wanted a .22lr for the summer and when i have the money i can buy a straight back stock for the scope.The action is clean so a new stock would have it looking nice!

The man keeps saying that its 18 for a rifle even though i have a full licence at 16,anyway i wasnt going to argue and let the mother sub first.she might have a better chance of getting the s on the license than me and a better chance of a sub for air rifle to rimfire rifle!

Do boyds stocks in us ship to ireland?

Ye i understand what you were saying... it came down to not having the money i would have liked to be able to spend on a new gun only paid 50 ontop of my air rifle and i would of had to spend 125 ontop if i had bought new if they are 425 new excluding the suppressor....
    He had new 455's for 520 euro which was not bad if only i had the money!
    Just wanted a .22lr for the summer and when i have the money i can buy a straight back stock for the scope.The action is clean so a new stock would have it looking nice!
    As long as you're happy with it lad that is all that matters. I'm not knocking your choice just giving you options.
    The man keeps saying that its 18 for a rifle even though i have a full licence at 16,anyway i wasnt going to argue
    Yeah. Just take it with a pinch of salt. Full licenses from 16 on and if it was the dealer saying that then he needs a slap.
    and let the mother sub first.she might have a better chance of getting the s on the license than me and a better chance of a sub for air rifle to rimfire rifle!
    TBH it doesn't matter. You both have licenses and as such are both deemed worthy.
    Do boyds stocks in us ship to ireland?
    They do/did. There was talk recently about them so do a quick search on here and you'll get your answer.

Okay thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Can go wrong with a cz lad great little tack driver.

Advertisement