Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bottom bracket thread direction

• 18-10-2013 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

I did a search of all the BB threads here and none answered my question:
    How can I check what direction the threads on my BB are?
    I've read that Brittish systems would have left hand threads on the drive side and standard on the non drive side. But on youtube I've seen the opposite being done by American sounding guys.
    Any help?

PS My bike it's my winter training bike which is between 7 and 10 years old Giant. I've never tended to the BB before so I'm expecting an unpleasant experience.
    Thanks for your help,
    Slo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

I'd expect your bike to use the standard British system but I've never worked on a Giant.

French and Italian made bikes have right handed threads on both sides (at least some of the time, depending on when they were made).

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

its bsa thread. to tighten: both are being twisted backwards meaning on your rhs your twisting counter clockwise and on your lhs your twisting clockwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

c50 wrote: »
    its bsa thread. to tighten: both are being twisted backwards meaning on your rhs your twisting counter clockwise and on your lhs your twisting clockwise.

Thanks, You sound awfully sure!
    Slo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Slo

That's because he is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Slo

no prob