Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated look for the site.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

how can I mark all forums read?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Phew, got back to the old Beta Skin. That's was frightening.

Not sure I like the New Beta, seems a bit too much like standard VBulletin, which makes it look a bit cheap IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The colour scheme link has gone on the old skin as well. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Looks great.
    I hope it wasnt designed by Ulster Bank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

recyclebin wrote: »
    how do i go back to old style?

Go to your control panel, and then down to edit options. You can change it down at the bottom there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

this thread needs a poll imo

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

awec wrote: »
    I like it.

Only issue is that the auto-scroll when you open a previously read thread isn't perfect. By that I mean it scrolls you to the first unread post, but I've found that it tends to scroll a bit too far and part of the first unread post is covered by the floating header.
    Here's a screenshot of this issue from this thread:

issue.PNG

As you can see, the content of my first unread post is covered by the floating header and I have to scroll up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ Noah Rich Joint

Changed back. I'll be sticking with evil.

I'm comfortable with evil.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Is the non-new Beta to be removed?

The red new posts button in the top right has become an extension of my right arm.

Also - would love if you could force https on all links throughout the site. Randomly reverts to non-https depending on where you click.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

mike65 wrote: »
    The colour scheme link has gone on the old skin as well. :(

Not sure I know what you mean Mike? The old skins shouldn't be changing at all, if they do it's a bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I like the inclusion of the quick to navigate user menu and my forums tabs. Much quicker to check threads I'm following and forums in general.

The transparent breadcrumb trail is a little distracting and off putting. I'd prefer it be solid, or thinner.

There seems to be a real loss of real estate on screen. It might be to cater for tablets and smartphone devices but it looks a bit offputting on a desktop.

There is a massive loss of space to the right and the left of threads. Saying that I like the small gap between posts, it really makes a post feel its own entity.

If the space utilisation on the left and right is going to stay the same, I'd prefer there be a customisation option for me to relocate my USERCP tab to the left and have it branch on click, and for it to be in constant location as I scroll the screen.

I'd also like the ability to relocate the breadcrumb to the right hand side,

I dont think you can find a one size fits all, but with most forums today, alot of effort is going into modular design, so that users can essentially setup the way they want their viewing experience to look. There is some good starts here, but making it uniquely customisable would be a really good step.

boards+new+skin.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Edit: that gap between the posts appears to have disappeared :confused:

I'm in your templates, squashing some issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

smash wrote: »

This. I link in to forums from my emails a lot of the time, but the big number next to my avatar still says I haven't read the threads when I have. Is there a way to mark them read (like you would emails)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

really liking it, i think it brings the mobile (touch) site and the main site in line as well, to give it the same overall feel.

awec wrote: »
    Here's a screenshot of this issue from this thread:

issue.PNG

As you can see, the content of my first unread post is covered by the floating header and I have to scroll up.

Without the URL, I cannot help.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

recyclebin wrote: »
    how do i go back to old style?

+ 1 please

smash wrote: »

Go to the bottom of the forum index. There is a "Mark all forums read" link

hdowney wrote: »
    This. I link in to forums from my emails a lot of the time, but the big number next to my avatar still says I haven't read the threads when I have. Is there a way to mark them read (like you would emails)

To mark a forum as read, go to the forum click Forum Tools then Mark Forum Read"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i'm liking the number of followed threads with new replies in the top right. that's gonna save me clicking through every 5 minutes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    + 1 please

Read the very first post in entirety - especially the last line in bold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I like it but the standard Avatars look silly for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    + 1 please

See the first post in this thread. There is a link at the end of the post to go back to old style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

i prefer the old version i dont see many improvements in new, my browser now only opens new version how do i revert to old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not sure I know what you mean Mike? The old skins shouldn't be changing at all, if they do it's a bug.

Found it - Edit Options (when I last looked it was in the boards.ie drop down menu at the top of the page)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I agree that its also too big, I prefer having more content per space.

I'm getting to fit in two posts with one line each, which is alot of mouse scrolling to read new posts, nevermind how much movement will be required for longer posts.

The colour is also very bright.

I'd say though obviously over time there will be some new color formats that I can choose and be happy.
    I'd also assume the current scaling issue is probably as its being cross platformed for tablets and smartphone optimisation aswell?

I'll stick with it, I like change and adopting early, but there is definitly a few little things to iron out.

Already following this thread has been monotonous with the constant scrolling, I'm getting two posts max on the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

think of all that wasted electricity used to blind you with the white light :-p ....darker colours are far better to look at and more efficient on your machine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

dharn wrote: »
    i prefer the old version i dont see many improvements in new, my browser now only opens new version how do i revert to old

Read the first post, very specifically the last line. I'm not sure how much easier Dav could have made switching back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

vibe666 wrote: »
    really liking it, i think it brings the mobile (touch) site and the main site in line as well, to give it the same overall feel.

Now if they could just move the report button on the mobile to the left, like it is on the desktop site :D
    Go to the bottom of the forum index. There is a "Mark all forums read" link

but previously I could do it from any page with the forum tools :(

another thing, the little blue arrows, and printer icons etc need to be updated. they look cheap and old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I like it!

Thumbs up :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement