Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Season 2 Episode 5 - *Have NOT Read the Books*

• 30-04-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

The beginning :eek:

Comments

• Bit of a slowburner episode. Nice to see Arya being able to listen in to the Lannisters war council like that though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Nothing really exciting in the episode, more of a progression of the storyline and setting up future storylines. Was expecting a shock or a surprise at the end to make us look forward to next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jakobgallagher

The shock was at the start of the episode, i'm delighted the writers dont feel the need to end every episode with a cliff hanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Just watched it there - very good I thought, not as slow as the third episode.

Nice to see Bran Stark and making decisions esp in contrast to king Joffrey's decision making.

Just one thing - Who is the guy that promised Arya
    the 3 kills
    - I know he's the guy she saved from the fire in the jail cart but which family is he from or what has he done?

I'd google it but you always get spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Just one thing - Who is the guy that promised Arya
    the 3 kills
    - I know he's the guy she saved from the fire in the jail cart but which family is he from or what has he done?

I'd google it but you always get spoilers.
    Jaqen H'ghar. Not of any of the families/factions of Westeros. He's from Braavos, one of the free cities. The same place Syrio (Arya's dancing master) was from in Season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i vow to protect you with all my might, ... oh dear... i vow to protect you with all my might.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

People who say nothing really happened in this episode, wut? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well perhaps it wasn't a case that nothing happened, but certainly there wasn't as much clear progression in the storylines as there was previously; it was more a case of expanding on what we saw last week. Each arc got some time to stretch out its respective plotline. With the possible exception of John Snow's arc: that's simply going nowhere really. I have to say though, I didn't expect the ghost-pregnancy assassin to be successful, that was a surprise.

Mentioned already, but watching Bran rule was an interesting parallel to Joffrey. Whilst the latter is an aimless, untutored & brutal tyrant, Bran is showing himself a wise and fair ruler despite his lack of years. As for his powers, that vision he spoke of is obviously allegorical for Greyjoy's attack on the Stark lands. Guess the Lannisters are finally going to get a reprieve from Rob's steamroller attacks, all thanks to Balon's idiocy.

As for the star of the show, I'm beginning to wonder what game Tyrion is really playing at. Yes, he seems to be trying to keep the peace, the innocents & Kings Landing safe, but to what aim? If he won't allow the napalm to be used in battle, then surely Stannis will arrive and then what? I suspect Tyrion has a masterplan that might involve exchanging Joffrey in exchange for the rest of the Lannisters' safety.

I do kind of wish Danaerys would get her arse back to Westeros, because I'm beginning to share the same thoughts of Ser Jorrah; she and Rob Stark are the only two claimants who seem like they might actually be reasonable, fair rulers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

OctavarIan wrote: »
    People who say nothing really happened in this episode, wut? :confused:

They mean there was a lack of nudity. :rolleyes:

I know we saw the 3 eyed crow, but I don't remember seeing the water. Did it show that?

I'm confused with what happened in Qarth. The guy says he has the key to open the vault, but why does he need Dany then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

CastorTroy wrote: »
    The guy says he has the key to open the vault, but why does he need Dany then?

He's only a merchant at the minute. With her claiming the Iron Throne he can become royalty and own half the known world with their kids becoming princes and princesses! He's aiming higher as they said in the episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its cool how grown up Bran already seems. I like how Charles Dance plays Tywin, he's a bastard but a charismatic and smart one, Dance is a great actor though he's watchable in anything I've ever seen him in. Good episode this week, just nicely progressed but no major events. It'll probably kick up a gear in the next episode or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

last week ratz from paths to freedom and this week finchy from the office. i love it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i really hope deany takes up that invite to go to that magic house (cant recall its name), she should make the best of being in qarth, she would be stupid to leave any time soon and i dunno why sir whatshisname wants her to leave now, they are in no way ready to head back to westeros, there are army's to be had on essos and deany should take advantage of that, why rule the 7 kingdoms of westeros when you can rule the world,

i do wonder how rob or bran will react when they find out its theon thats attacking them,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Those magic lads looked weird.

That 'thing' was pretty cool as well. When the guards came in, Catelyn saying it wasn't Brienne. How would you explain that one Cat? :pac:

Good episode. Things are building nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mentioned already, but watching Bran rule was an interesting parallel to Joffrey. Whilst the latter is an aimless, untutored & brutal tyrant, Bran is showing himself a wise and fair ruler despite his lack of years. As for his powers, that vision he spoke of is obviously allegorical for Greyjoy's attack on the Stark lands. Guess the Lannisters are finally going to get a reprieve from Rob's steamroller attacks, all thanks to Balon's idiocy.

I don't know if it's idocy. My take was that Bran fell into Balon's trap. If Theon's attack draws the few remaining soldiers away from Winterfell, while the Starks' lines are already spread too thin (mentioned in the show), then there's nobody to stop Balon from taking Winterfell. It seemed to me that Bran's dream was a premonition of the Iron Islanders taking Winterfell itself.

The juxtaposition between Bran's ruling and Joffrey's is similar to that of Ned and Joffrey. Bran is taking the honourable path, out of respect for his bannermen. Meanwhile, Joffrey is stockpiling wildfire to ensure his attackers meet a firey end. The series has already shown that honour isn't always the right path in the game of thrones :)

Lothaar v2 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's idocy. My take was that Bran fell into Balon's trap. If Theon's attack draws the few remaining soldiers away from Winterfell, while the Starks' lines are already spread too thin (mentioned in the show), then there's nobody to stop Balon from taking Winterfell. It seemed to me that Bran's dream was a premonition of the Iron Islanders taking Winterfell itself.

The juxtaposition between Bran's ruling and Joffrey's is similar to that of Ned and Joffrey. Bran is taking the honorable path, out of respect for his banner men. Meanwhile, Joffrey is stockpiling wildfire to ensure his attackers meet a fiery end. The series has already shown that honor isn't always the right path in the game of thrones :)
    but balon doesn't know theon is attacking winterfell, the first mate put that idea in his head,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

don ramo wrote: »
    but balon doesn't know theon is attacking winterfell, the first mate put that idea in his head,

Think Lothaar v2 means Theon.

Think Lothaar v2 means Theon.
    but still unless balon knows theon is attacking that square place he wont try and take winterfell, and theon has one ship,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

and bran has sent 200 men down to the fishing village to protect it, with most of the able bodied men with robb fighting down south
    winterfell is pretty much undefended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Wildfire to burn an entire fleet?
    I know this show doesn't do big battle scenes but that sounds incredible

Can't wait for next week

Though it's dangerous, you're as likely to kill yourself then the enemy with that wildfire.

• Advertisement

don ramo wrote: »

Doesn't he? Doesn't he?

... ok, maybe he doesn't! That's just what I took from it. The exchange between Theon and the first mate left a suggestion hanging, but I might have misread it. It went something like this:

Theon: This is a test, isn't it?

First Mate: Yes, it's a test. Those men got where they are by doing what they like, not what they're told. Y'know, [the tower place] isn't far from Winterfell.

Theon: And if we attack it... (smiles and trails off)

I can't remember exactly, but it seemed to suggest that the 'test' was to see if Theon would take the initiative and go plundering. Could Balon know that Theon would choose a strategically advantageous location for plunderage? Even if he didn't know, Winterfell is extremely weak and Balon's planning to head that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It was Theon that suggested Torrhen's Tower was close to where they plan to land.

Sleepy wrote: »
    It was Theon that suggested Torrhen's Tower was close to where they plan to land.
    Torrhens square, according the map on HBO is up a river and across a lough and is a fair distance from pyke,

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season2/#!/locations/riverrun/

Presumably he's planning to land south of Sea Dragon point as that map portrays it, that'd be about a day's march from where they'd land.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lothaar v2 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's idocy. My take was that Bran fell into Balon's trap. [...]

Idiocy insofar as Balon siding with a family that shows no love or loyalty for him (he himself pointed out that he was surrendered as a child), and openly attacking & betraying the only real family he has ever known. Not to mention scuppering the chances of what looked like being the winning faction. Nor is it a case that the Iron Islands are any sort of paradise either: they seems like miserable rocks, filled with pirates & rapists. So yeah; idiocy in my book.

You're confusing Balon and Theon pixelburp. Balon is Theon's father and ruler of the Iron Islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Useless with names but Natalie Dormer's character said she wanted to be the Queen, not just a Queen

I'm guessing she'll have a big role in the future

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Useless with names but Natalie Dormer's character said she wanted to be the Queen, not just a Queen

I'm guessing she'll have a big role in the future
    if she become queen yes, but if she doesn't, well as it says in the tagline "you either win, or you die"

pixelburp wrote: »
    So yeah; idiocy in my book.

As Sleepy says, you're confusing Balon and Theon. The post I was responding to referenced Balon's idiocy for attacking the Starks, giving the Lannisters some reprieve. I was saying that Theon's attack on Torrhens Square could work out in Balon's favour, as most/all the remaining soldiers have left Winterfell to repel the attack, leaving Winterfell perilously undefended. Balon can swoop in, behind the over-stretched Stark lines, and take their home stronghold.

• Advertisement

Really enjoyed that episode. I want the dragons to get bigger!

Advertisement