Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what music when riding

• 13-02-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

i listen to an ipod on my commute - its about 50 k each way, and it helps break up the commute. Ive just loaded a couple of prodigy albums for the way home. What do you listen to on the bike?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Sorry to hijack, but what headphones do you use that don't fall out? My iPhone headphones are useless for popping out :o

IF I could get them to stay in though, what I listen to would depend on my mood, today it would be the stone roses, the naked and famous or phoenix, yesterday it was deadmau5 and calvin harris (I listen to the same music when I'm working in the lab :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I listen to the radio while commuting. Music feels odd for some reason, but it is only 10k. If I'm out riding solo I just stick the 2,000 songs on my iphone on shuffle.

Although I'm big into music and would usually do a lot of skipping until a good song comes on, there are also long periods where the music is white noise and there are 30 minutes at a time where I go into a "zone" (especially when climbing) and have no idea what I've been listening to.

Though I do get the odd "zen" moment such as the day I was just about to begin descending Stocking Lane from right up at Military road. It was a beautiful warm day, very little wind, and White Limo started playing. Epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

lennymc wrote: »
    i listen to an ipod on my commute - its about 50 k each way, and it helps break up the commute. Ive just loaded a couple of prodigy albums for the way home. What do you listen to on the bike?

I have several pairs of shorts that have a pocket half way up the back for a race radio/ipod.
    I dont actually own a ipod - but if someone coould suggest what is a good device to listen to music - (Iam not really interested in buying music from an istore etc, but I would like to be able to download some of my CD library onto a lightweight device that would be suitable for cycling - ie gets wet from rain or sweat).

Sorry for the hijack Lenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

ROK on, a simple mp3 player from creative or like should do and just av it wrapped in cling film or in waterproof bag. Yeah miss my shorts that had pocket in back that i ripped.
    I would have earphone for climbs but only ever av it in one ear outside ear is for hearing cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have several pairs of shorts that have a pocket half way up the back for a race radio/ipod.
    I dont actually own a ipod - but if someone coould suggest what is a good device to listen to music - (Iam not really interested in buying music from an istore etc, but I would like to be able to download some of my CD library onto a lightweight device that would be suitable for cycling - ie gets wet from rain or sweat).

http://en.store.creative.com/entertainment-devices-mp3-players/zen-style-m300/948-20615.aspx

I had an ancestor of this device. My biggest problem with mobile music has always been having cables all over the place. The one I had hung around my neck with short earphone cables, so it stayed nice and neat and didn't tug on my ears when I moved about. Weighs nothing so you don't feel it hanging around your neck.
    The one above actually has bluetooth, so you could buy a pair of wireless headphones and keep the device in a pocket.

Now I use bluetooth headphones with my phone, but if I wasn't going that route, I'd probably buy the above one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

i have a pair of philips headphones with a lanyard (thing that goes round yer neck) which seems to work ok. Im using an ipod or an old mobile phone that has a radio on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Last time I listened to music out cycling it was with a walkman.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

colm_gti wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack, but what headphones do you use that don't fall out? My iPhone headphones are useless for popping out :o
    I use a set of Sennheiser CX300 II earbuds which I find really nice. They cut surrounding noise without blocking it entirely.
    but if someone coould suggest what is a good device to listen to music

My son got a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ recently. Really small and light, 8Gb onboard with a microSD slot also. Good sound so long as you set the region to 'Rest of World' rather than Europe (silly EU volume restrictions).

I have my iAudio on random/repeat with a combination of mid-life crisis - 'what I used to listen to as a teenager' and newer stuff that my metal-head teenager makes me listen to...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

back to original Q..

I go down the podcast route with one ear in.. dont need full stereo sound..

as for actual podcasts.. I vary widely.. but for now Frank Skinner (absolute) Moyles (BBC) and Mayo & Kermodes movie podcast keep me entertained most weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I swear by the iPod line, I have owned six or seven of them, I have had at least one of all the different types. They are solid, easy to use and you can rip your own CDs onto them fine, you don't have to buy it from iTunes (and I never have.)

I don't actually like Apple too much for anything else (computers, phones, tablets) but I am a fan of the iPod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I hate trance and dance music.
    But for some reason I find it a great genre to listen to while cycling. Is that weird?

Especially "Underworld - Born Slippy" (The song from Trainspotting)

I always find myself able to cycle longer and faster than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I've only ever once listened to music whilst out on a ride and three times i had the bejaysus scared out of me by trucks passing from behind i didn't hear coming.

I make do with listening to birds and traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

Brendog wrote: »
    But for some reason I find it a great genre to listen to while cycling. Is that weird?

Especially "Underworld - Born Slippy" (The song from Trainspotting)

I always find myself able to cycle longer and faster than usual.

I think songs with a beat per minute of roughly twice your cadence are good for training. Born slippy is a great oul song, i could listen to it on repeat....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

RobFowl wrote: »
    Last time I listened to music out cycling it was with a walkman.....
    Is that your way of coming out as a hipster? :p

I've not listened to music while cycling for a few years now, but when I did I found podcasts to be too low to hear over the noise of traffic, so I'd miss chunks. Something with a fast tempo would probably be better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Don't listen to anything on the road, but on the turbo I usually go for anything with a fast beat and loads of attitude. Mostly older stuff like Dead Kennedys, Ramones, Talking Heads, The Clash, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I don't listen to music when I'm on the bike, but if I did it would be stuff like this, this and maybe a bit of this. But not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Junior

i wonder should we start compiling spotify playlists or the like ? Lately it's been all the Kyuss albums on shuffle ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Tiesto podcast. Nowt better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Tiesto podcast. Nowt better.
    Yeah, good stuff. I like the way he has chapters built into the podcast so you can skip around in it, rather than it being one big music file. (Marco V and Marcel Woods do good podcasts too, no chapters tho...)

Deadmau5 is good "euro beats".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I think songs with a beat per minute of roughly twice your cadence are good for training. Born slippy is a great oul song, i could listen to it on repeat....

Prodigy it pretty good for red-lining it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

show me age off here lenny boy but love listening to led zeplin/pink floyd/bob dylan/ planxty come back concert.
    when i
    m out for the day on my touring bike i love to listen to books my son downloaded for me sherlock holmes.the adventures of tom sawyer pure magic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭ Bowen Gray Rapper

Wouldn't dream of having headphone in while on the road.

On the trainer on the other hand, I can't do without music. I have the trainer setup in front of the PC and software from http://www.trainerroad.com/.

I've a few playlists on Youtube - all dance music with a good beat ... they really help me get through a really tough workout. Some of my favourites:
    Avicii - Levels
    Chicane - Poppiholla
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuVq-RnNSxQ&feature=BFa&list=PL323AA0EC9E205FC9&lf=mh_lolz
    "]N-Trance - Set you free 2k9 (Spencer & Hill Classic Radio Mix)[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

Depends on what type of spin you have planned.
    I'm a big fan of Chemical Brothers, Deep Dish, Faithless and Underworld for the a short hard session, but not for 4 hours in the hills.

The currect mix of choice is from the free Radio Soulwax app, which has 24 x 1 hour mixes from 2 Many DJ's.
    You can stream or donwload the mixes. Perfect for flogging yourself half to death if you only have 60 mins for training in the evening :)
    Some are rubbish, but the 2 'Under the Covers' mixes are top notch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

hard trance and acid techno gets the legs goin!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭pantani

not mad bout listenin to music when im on the road as i think its a little dangerous,but when im on the turbo it has to be nickle back .the new album" here and now" a great one for pedalling at a high cadence!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Junior

These podcasts also have been getting decent reviews - can't vouch for them however yet http://www.velobeats.braynardwebdev.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I'm partial to a bit of BBC Radio One Essential Selection or Essential mix, a good 2 hours of music obtained from er7radio.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Brendog wrote: »

I listen to music whilst cycling that I'd never listen to otherwise too.

For example... Good Feeling by Flo Rida, amazing cycling song

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

Junior wrote: »
    i wonder should we start compiling spotify playlists or the like ? Lately it's been all the Kyuss albums on shuffle ..

Is Spotify available in Ireland now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

i listen to an ipod on my commute - its about 50 k each way, and it helps break up the commute.

Never mind the music....I think if I was commuting 50k I would listen to some kind of hypnosis tracks and only wake up when i got to my destination...

Advertisement