Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain Running group Galway??

• 25-01-2012 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any mountain running club or group based in Galway? There's a wealth of mountains to run and a whole load of runners but I can't seem to find any information on any such group.

If there are none would there be any interest in getting one set up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

finlma wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any mountain running club or group based in Galway? There's a wealth of mountains to run and a whole load of runners but I can't seem to find any information on any such group.

If there are none would there be any interest in getting one set up?

I haven't come across one, there's very little in the area from IMRA and it only seems to be orienteering groups that are doing anything similar.

I'd be interested in looking at working a group together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Suggest you try to link in with the athletics clubs out there. Some (like athenry) have their own dedicated websites. Others might have facebook pages. Rob Malseed is a fine hill runner in Mayo and there are other hill runners in that area who could get involved. Thats the way imra in Munster works. Many of the runners have Munster club connections.

IMRA will be out West later in the year for races on Mweelrea and Nephin so keep an eye out on the imra website for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭finlma

I haven't come across one, there's very little in the area from IMRA and it only seems to be orienteering groups that are doing anything similar.

I'd be interested in looking at working a group together.

I'm planning on popping into the shop in the next couple of weeks to get a pair of trail runners so I'll have a word with you then.
    Mark F

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

I'm planning on popping into the shop in the next couple of weeks to get a pair of trail runners so I'll have a word with you then.
    Mark F
    If ye come up with a plan will ye stick some details up here. Wouldn't mind giving some mountain running a bash.

Will do. Might try to get a group email set up and head out for a weekly run starting in the Spring. We can take it from there then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

If ye come up with a plan will ye stick some details up here. Wouldn't mind giving some mountain running a bash.

+1

I loved the mountain runs as part of WAR last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

pgibbo wrote: »
    +1

I loved the mountain runs as part of WAR last year.

Any one with any GPS tarcks or maps of potential routes in the Galway area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

+1 same as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

T runner wrote: »
    Any one with any GPS tarcks or maps of potential routes in the Galway area?

Not as such, but two nice runs are

- run N from the school in Rosmuc, through the mountains, on a reasonable but muddy trail
    - run N-S or S-N from Recess to Maam or vice versa, over Patrick's Well. Really nice run, all on reasonable trail. Slippery when wet.

I've also run up Cregg, though it's steep road, and up Diamond Hill, though you have to walk the odd bit.

OK ive put a post up on IMRA. we need to spread the word and set a date/location.

I mentioned at the IMRA AGM that if there was interest id promote mountain running further in Connaught. For communication i was going to suggest setting up a facebook page for it for interested runners adding Connaught clubs and using that as the medium term base for organising runs and communicating.

If thats OK with this group ill go ahead and set it up (ill run it past IMRA commitee first). Hoping to invite Connaught clubs and runners to join it.

In the meantime we should be thinking about the inaugural run. No time like the present!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Great work T runner.
    It's not quite a mountain run, but this is a trail I like to do: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143720042

As a matter of interest why is there little or no IMRA races in the West? It seems to be mostly East & South (as far as I can see).

A few people have asked me in the shop over the past while and it seems like all thats needed is a forum to share experiences, routes and advice. I'm new to the mountain and trail running idea, but loving the experience so far and want to stretch that a bit further.

Would a map my run type group work for this kind of thing? or should we be looking down the road of more formal arrangements?

As a matter of interest why is there little or no IMRA races in the West? It seems to be mostly East & South (as far as I can see).

A few people have asked me in the shop over the past while and it seems like all thats needed is a forum to share experiences, routes and advice. I'm new to the mountain and trail running idea, but loving the experience so far and want to stretch that a bit further.

Would a map my run type group work for this kind of thing? or should we be looking down the road of more formal arrangements?

I was thinking facebook as many clubs runners etc have already accounts there.

Mountain running races in the West has been primarily attended by Eastern and Southern runners. There hasnt been more hill races in the west largely due to a lack of interest and numbers up until now. What needs to happen is a hill running tadition organised locally.

Im from the west but based East and am eager to assist in getting things going. But the tradition (like Leinster, Munster) will come from local interest and runners.

Up until now mountain running in Connaught ahs more or less been a different venue for the same Leinster and Munster faces.

Mountain and Hill Running in Connaught (Facebook)

There we go...Peterx is onboard and has started chatting about 8 hour runs on the Maumturks....!

Just set it up so not sure about adding users. You may ahve to "Like" the group to become a member.

OK , lets start making plans!!!!

Just a 'Request to Join'.

Done!

Just a 'Request to Join'.

Done!

Great thanks a million, have added you and will keep eyes skint for other requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Can add my name to that list.

Not on facebook so could we continue to post updates here? Or on the IMRA website if they give the green light.

acurno wrote: »
    Can add my name to that list.

Not on facebook so could we continue to post updates here? Or on the IMRA website if they give the green light.

No problem Acurno, anything thats planned will be posted here and on IMRA

I'm glad I started this thread now. Fair play T Runner. I just joined the group and I see that there are already 42 members. Great work.

I'm glad I started this thread now. Fair play T Runner. I just joined the group and I see that there are already 42 members. Great work.

59 now, i think you hit on an area of interest there. Now to organise the first run....

• Advertisement

I'm sure there will be varying levels of experience and fitness. What do people think is the best way to manage that? I'm sure a 10km mountain run would seem like a warm-up to some or a marathon to others.

I'm sure there will be varying levels of experience and fitness. What do people think is the best way to manage that? I'm sure a 10km mountain run would seem like a warm-up to some or a marathon to others.

What wed normally do in Leinster tarining runs is have options on the run. A few different route lenght/difficulty options based on lenght and difficulty. Usually you'd have a leader for each group who knows the route.

Id imagine teh first run would be mainly on trail with different lenght options. After that wed progress a little. The great thing is also that once someone has covered a route they have that in their arsenal of potential training routes. So i guess a new route every week would be the way to go. One of the members has set up a document on FB which we can update with info: routes, safety etc.

Great work T runner.
    It's not quite a mountain run, but this is a trail I like to do: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143720042

Thats a good loop. And a 5mn km average on that is very good. Its one to keep in mind once we have a few runs in the bag.
    Is there any hilly trail runs, maybe on Collte land (preferably with a carpark) near enough to Galway city?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

+1 on that. There's been a few threads about getting this started over the last couple of years but they have all fizzled out with no result. Fair play for getting the ball rolling.

TRunner wrote:
    Thats a good loop. And a 5mn km average on that is very good. Its one to keep in mind once we have a few runs in the bag.
    Is there any hilly trail runs, maybe on Collte land (preferably with a carpark) near enough to Galway city?

Afraid thats a tough one. I don't know of any hilly trail runs near the city at all. In my mind most runs would need to be in or near Connemara or The Burren. May be some between Gort / Loughrea but I'm not overly familiar with the area. Most of the Coillte lands (Monivea / Coole / Portumna) are all lovely areas but all flat. Knockma near Tuam is fairly tame, grand for training on but it's less than 1.5 miles total up & down, more a hill than a mountain.

This is the big thing that I'm looking forward to, actually finding out where the trails are!

yea, not overly familar with the area but certainly some tracks / forest between gort and loughrea / derrybrien area.
    slieve bloom has many trails too albeit not in connacht but not a million miles from south east galway either.

Just to let everyone know the first session is being organised for this Saturday at Castlehackett.

For up-to-date information be sure to stay tuned to the Facebook group.

Great work bt T-Runner getting this all pulled together in the past week or so.

has a time been set for this? thks

has a time been set for this? thks

provisionally 10.30 am saturday morning.

thanks. cant do this one as kids football matches at same time but i'll stay tuned for others.

• Advertisement

From the running group Facebook:

"OK, Its official. 10:30 saturday Castle Hackett... Runners should bring a waterproof jacket, hat, gloves and a change of clothes. Bring a drink (hot is good) and food for after for replenishment and post race chat if youve time.."

Advertisement