Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork City Marathon, June 4th 2012.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yep.

Have only done one, a 3.59. Think I'm in better shape for this one so would like to aim for 3.45 anyway. Though not sure if that means I should set off with 3.30 pacers and kinda expect a flag, or just bowl along with the 3.45 crowd.

3:45, based on your time from Mallow though I think you're selling yourself a bit short going for 3:45. Presuming you've got the long runs done you should be good for sub 3:40 at least.

3:45, based on your time from Mallow though I think you're selling yourself a bit short going for 3:45. Presuming you've got the long runs done you should be good for sub 3:40 at least.

Did 18 and 21 mile lsrs in last 2 weekends and gonna leave it at that. Half marathon today in Bandon, will push it though not sure legs are fresh enough for any particularly fast (by my standards!) time.

Was thinking that maybe best plan would be to try and keep 3.30 crowd in sight for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Was thinking that maybe best plan would be to try and keep 3.30 crowd in sight for as long as possible.

If you are realistically capable of breaking 3:30 then go with the 3:30 crowd. If you are planning to go out at 3:30 pace and drop back; don't. For every minute 'banked' in the early stages of a marathon you will lose multiples of it later in the race (maybe 5 times or more) and will make the latter stages of the race a painful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Looking forward to this now although not really sure how to approach it seeing as it's only been a few weeks since the VLM, will think of something on the day no doubt :)

Too bad Sonia O'Sullivan isn't involved this year, she ran some very good training camps in the lead-up last year & raised a good bit of cash for charity through 'Team Sonia'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

opus wrote: »
    Too bad Sonia O'Sullivan isn't involved this year, she ran some very good training camps in the lead-up last year & raised a good bit of cash for charity through 'Team Sonia'.

She had a rough day out last year, doubt she's keen to repeat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Going to go with the 3:45 pacers myself, was hoping to go 3:30 but its my first marathon and i have no idea what time i'll do. Did the Meath Half in 1:42, training has been going ok so fingers crossed the 3:45 group is the one for me.

looks like they're be a big group of us????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Impressive jump in numbers for the half-marathon this year it looks like.
    The limit on Half-Marathon entries in 2011 was 1,000. This year, it has been increased to 1800 and is currently around the 1650 mark so it may have to be closed early this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

alitoast wrote: »
    Going to go with the 3:45 pacers myself, was hoping to go 3:30 but its my first marathon and i have no idea what time i'll do. Did the Meath Half in 1:42, training has been going ok so fingers crossed the 3:45 group is the one for me.

looks like they're be a big group of us????

Me too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

opus wrote: »
    Impressive jump in numbers for the half-marathon this year it looks like.

Last year though they had limited the number to 1000 though and it sold out very quickly (within a week or so). They would have easily got a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Taramorourke

Does anyone have spectator information on the Cork City Marathon 2012? My boyfriend wants to cheer me on throughout the marathon but we're not sure how easily accessible the course is. I've only been to Cork once (years ago), so I'm a bit clueless about the city. I looked at the map ( confused) and saw that the route does bring you into the city a couple times but we're both hoping for a way he could cheer me on at the relay change-over points?? Or is there a better way of doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MrLaurel

menoscemo wrote: »
    Last year though they had limited the number to 1000 though and it sold out very quickly (within a week or so). They would have easily got a lot more.

This will be my next half since the GLR on the May weekend and delighted the numbers are on the up

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Does anyone have spectator information on the Cork City Marathon 2012? My boyfriend wants to cheer me on throughout the marathon but we're not sure how easily accessible the course is. I've only been to Cork once (years ago), so I'm a bit clueless about the city. I looked at the map ( confused) and saw that the route does bring you into the city a couple times but we're both hoping for a way he could cheer me on at the relay change-over points?? Or is there a better way of doing this?

Getting to all the relay points could be awkward but he could certainly support you at a number of points in the city very close to each other. He could see you off at the start and then walk 150 yards back to Merchants Quay around mile1, across the bridge for mile3 or 4?, over near city hall around mile 15 or 16 ? And then the last mile as well. Not certain of the miles tbh but it is spectator friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

As corkrunner71 said, its very doable. Hop on a bike and its even easier, and you can see much more.
    You could easily do a viewing route taking in mile markers 1, 3, 11 (blackrock castle), 15 at marina, 17 near city hall, 20 at the lough, 22 on straight road, back to patrick st.
    You'd even have time to have a coffee in between mile 3 and 11.

Sounds like a nice cycle actually. I'd do it myself, but I'm running instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

I get nervous when ever i read this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eclair212

Does anyone know if the marathon course is well marked out on the day itself?

This is my first marathon and Im not sure of the route, dont want to get lost and end up running extra distance after going the wrong way!

Also do the pacers normally run at an even pace over the full course or speed up/down throughout?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

eclair212 wrote: »

This is my first marathon and Im not sure of the route, dont want to get lost and end up running extra distance after going the wrong way!

Also do the pacers normally run at an even pace over the full course or speed up/down throughout?

There's enough people running that you won't get lost - just chase the runners in front of you. There's likely to be marshalls at the turns to direct you.

Even better - stick with your pacers - they'll be running even pace - what group you going with?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Dont worry about the course you wont get lost, just follow the other sheep and enjoy the experience. Pacers will run an even pace, find a group that you feel you will be comfortable in and enjoy your first marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

If you find yourself all alone there should be a car with a clock on the roof and some Garda out riders- just follow them, they will know the route;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

BobMac104 wrote: »
    I get nervous when ever i read this thread!

It ain't nerves. Its excitement :)

The half is now full!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Mr Slow wrote: »
    The half is now full!
    Thats gunna be some balls for all those who only trained for a half and now have to run a full:eek:

sideswipe wrote: »
    Thats gunna be some balls for all those who only trained for a half and now have to run a full:eek:

They should get the finger out now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shannow 79

Anyone know if it's possible to get a late entry into full marathon or to go on a cancellation list?? Didn't realise it would close so early :( My training partner is all signed up for it and now it's looking like I won't be able to do the event with him. Absolutely gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Shannow 79 wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to get a late entry into full marathon or to go on a cancellation list?? Didn't realise it would close so early :( My training partner is all signed up for it and now it's looking like I won't be able to do the event with him. Absolutely gutted!

Postal entries will be accepted up to end of this week. I would suggest downloading a form and sending it via registered post on Wednesday!

From Website:

Online entry is now closed

Important information on start times, water stops, energy drinks and more...here

Thank you to everyone who has entered for this year's Cork City Marathon! The half marathon is now full. If you have a form in the post for the marathon or team relay, we'll accept entries until the end of the week ...more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

As already suggested a bike would be the job and there's no problem in getting around to various points. Barring that then go with the advice given by CorkRunner71.

One tip - stay away from the relay changeover points. Some of them are too far out anyway, the closest and most accessible to the city centre would be Victoria Road so tell him to go either 200 yards before it or after it. These points tend to be very crowded with a fair amount of organised chaos going on so chances are you could easily miss each other.
    Getting to all the relay points could be awkward but he could certainly support you at a number of points in the city very close to each other. He could see you off at the start and then walk 150 yards back to Merchants Quay around mile1, across the bridge for mile3 or 4?, over near city hall around mile 15 or 16 ? And then the last mile as well. Not certain of the miles tbh but it is spectator friendly.

^^^^ That's the way to do it ^^^^

If you're around the night before I'd possibly be free to meet up and show you a couple of those places if you like if might make it easier for him on the day. PM me if you like.. It's quite easy anyway and the furthest of those spots is a maximum 10/15 min walk from the Start/Finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

This may be of use to some of you.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90805726

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Mr Slow wrote: »
    This may be of use to some of you.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/90805726

34 seconds per mile. That's an impressive pace you managed in the tunnel. :D

34 seconds per mile. That's an impressive pace you managed in the tunnel. :D

I stopped for a pee halfway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Got the 3 x 1600m P&D Interval session out of the way so the taper can start in earnest now. That session always feels like Russian Roulette.

All going well I'm jumping on the TFB-LeCheile 3:15 bus and hopefully will stay on it until the finish.

Advertisement