Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts App for Android

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I left a message on Samsung's facebook wall and this is their response:
    Hi Emma - We are aware of this issue and are working on an update to fix it which we hope will be available in January. Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We got some word back from Samsung:
    All,

We are aware of the issue regarding the inability to remove pre-loaded local apps from Three and O2 versions of Galaxy S II, and having taken customer feedback on the issue very seriously, we will be making them removable with the next software release. Galaxy S II owners will be able to upgrade at home when it becomes available. Further communication on availability will be made through our Social Media channels.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Samsung Mobile Ireland
    I believe this update is scheduled for January, but I'll see if I can get better confirmation of that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Dav wrote: »
    It's Samsung that's decided to install these apps and your network providers who have decided to not insist that you can uninstall them. I really hate to have to pass the buck but you'll have to sort it out with them - unfortunately there isn't a thing I can do about it.

I would urge you to get in touch with the people in charge of the various sites in the group who's apps have been installed: BoardsDeals, Adverts, Daft and TheJournal. Maybe they can put pressure on Samsung to recall their update or something and fix this mess.

I know this whole thing's permanently turned me off ever owning a Samsung phone and I'd tell anyone who asked me to steer clear of them for this reason.

Sorry but that is not good enough boards deal and adverts are both spin off of boards.ie you should have them removed from the update side at the very least, you could also get an app that will remove them published.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's Samsung that's decided to install these apps and your network providers who have decided to not insist that you can uninstall them. I really hate to have to pass the buck but you'll have to sort it out with them - unfortunately there isn't a thing I can do about it.

I would urge you to get in touch with the people in charge of the various sites in the group who's apps have been installed: BoardsDeals, Adverts, Daft and TheJournal. Maybe they can put pressure on Samsung to recall their update or something and fix this mess.

I know this whole thing's permanently turned me off ever owning a Samsung phone and I'd tell anyone who asked me to steer clear of them for this reason.

Sorry but that is not good enough boards deal and adverts are both spin off of boards.ie you should have them removed from the update side at the very least, you could also get an app that will remove them published.
    There are already apps that will do that. You'll need to root your phone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 contraflow

Is adverts.ie not a boards.ie app? Surely you can bring some pressure to bear on distilledmedia.ie to make this uninstallable on phones. I am being pestered daily to buy completely cr*p email services that cost about €5 a week... extremely head wrecking. I have posted complaints on samsung mobile ireland's facebook page, sent distilledmedia.ie a complaint and posted a comment on android market which will hopefully deter would be downloaders from going near this malware which is a bit futile as most of us are being inflicted with this virus surreptitiously thru a samsung update.

Now I have to investigate rooting my fone to get rid of it. Don't think I can endure it until Jan for the supposed update/fix.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 serrades

So what's the craic ? January is here and no sign of the update. Tried the other day and Kies found nothing new ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

serrades wrote: »
    So what's the craic ? January is here and no sign of the update. Tried the other day and Kies found nothing new ?

To be fair, there's still a couple of weeks of January left, so I wouldn't be getting upset about it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Captain Andy

Tick tock tick tock. Pumps.ie and boards deals. provide uninstall please. The longer you take the slimmer the chances i'll ever be a customer of anything to do with "distilled media"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Tick tock tick tock. Pumps.ie and boards deals. provide uninstall please. The longer you take the slimmer the chances i'll ever be a customer of anything to do with "distilled media"!

As has been stated, the update rests with Samsung.

Pumps.ie has nothing to do with Distilled Media.

If we hear any further information on this next week, we'll communicate it as quickly as possible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I've asked Samsung on twitter but no reply yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Captain Andy

As has been stated, the update rests with Samsung.

Pumps.ie has nothing to do with Distilled Media.

If we hear any further information on this next week, we'll communicate it as quickly as possible.
    Understood on Pumps and Samsung hold up. Still shouldn't have Been allowed to happen in the first place and should have been resolved more quickly with an apology from all companies in bed with one another in one form or another. i can accept preloaded bloatware, but if we weren't to complain, where would these types of acts of scheisterism end...

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭dingbat

I've got a brand new Samsung Galaxy 2 from Meteor and just woke up to a couple of deals notifications in the status bar!

Tried to uninstall the app and couldn't??

Although I'm happy to discover an explanation for problem here in this thread I'm stunned that this is genuinely an ad-serving scam from what I thought was a reasonably reputable company (or group of companies).

Any word on an update??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

dingbat wrote: »
    I've got a brand new Samsung Galaxy 2 from Meteor and just woke up to a couple of deals notifications in the status bar!

Although I'm happy to discover an explanation for problem here in this thread I'm stunned that this is genuinely an ad-serving scam from what I thought was a reasonably reputable company (or group of companies).

Any word on an update??

So you took the time to find the thread, but didn't read three posts up? Boards.ie: Nicola has said they have no information, the problem lies with Samsung so talk to them.

dingbat wrote: »

Any word on an update??

So you took the time to find the thread, but didn't read three posts up? Boards.ie: Nicola has said they have no information, the problem lies with Samsung so talk to them.
    Bit harsh - I just asked if there was an update on the situation...

*shrugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

One of the Distilled tech people came to visit me at my desk earlier and he told me that there was something of an update, but not a solution.

The BoardsDeals app has been updated (and this is being pushed out today on Android Marketplace as far as we're aware) so that the pop-up notifications will be disabled by default and you'll be asked if you want them enabled the first time you run the app.

So if you've got it pre-installed and can't remove it, you can now at least disable the notifications. I know that's not really ideal or indeed a proper solution, but it'll at least save on daily annoyance.

As it stands, we're waiting for someone in Samaung in Korea to make whatever chances they're supposed to to allow these things to be uninstalled. No one is happy with this, but Samsung just don't seemed to be in any rush to address this problem as it seems to have been a mistake on their end initially and things were meant to be uninstallable which is different from what they initially told us that the operators set this.

All I can add is that I'm really sorry it's hit so many of you - no one told me this was happening (as I don't work with BoardsDeals or the other sites in the group on a day-to-day basis) and I guarantee you I'd have said "ARE YOU MAD?" to anyone suggesting this to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Will they apologize? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The BoardsDeals app has been updated (and this is being pushed out today on Android Marketplace as far as we're aware) so that the pop-up notifications will be disabled by default and you'll be asked if you want them enabled the first time you run the app.
    Coincidentally I installed it yesterday from the Market (I'm unaffected by this as I'm using a custom firmware not Samsung's bloated crap) and this was already in place. I got the pop up asking if I wanted notifications.

One of the Distilled tech people came to visit me at my desk earlier and he told me that there was something of an update, but not a solution.

So if you've got it pre-installed and can't remove it, you can now at least disable the notifications. I know that's not really ideal or indeed a proper solution, but it'll at least save on daily annoyance.

As it stands, we're waiting for someone in Samaung in Korea to make whatever chances they're supposed to to allow these things to be uninstalled. No one is happy with this, but Samsung just don't seemed to be in any rush to address this problem as it seems to have been a mistake on their end initially and things were meant to be uninstallable which is different from what they initially told us that the operators set this.

All I can add is that I'm really sorry it's hit so many of you - no one told me this was happening (as I don't work with BoardsDeals or the other sites in the group on a day-to-day basis) and I guarantee you I'd have said "ARE YOU MAD?" to anyone suggesting this to me.
    Thanks for the update.

Orion wrote: »
    Coincidentally I installed it yesterday from the Market (I'm unaffected by this as I'm using a custom firmware not Samsung's bloated crap) and this was already in place. I got the pop up asking if I wanted notifications.

Its been there since the software update which placed the app on my phone, sometime ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Then why the update saying it's a new thing?

• Advertisement

Orion wrote: »
    Then why the update saying it's a new thing?

Well it wasn't disabled by default, so I assume that's the big change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Sully wrote: »
    Well it wasn't disabled by default, so I assume that's the big change.

Notifications are enabled by default on all Apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭WhoElse

Cheers guys, this I'd the only place I could find info on this ! I recently updated my galaxy s2 with the meteor approved Android 2.3.5 through Samsung kies and thought I'd gone mad when I started getting spammed by an uninstallable app. Any advice on how to kill this app entirely is much appreciated. And thanks for looking into this on everyone's behalf as it is very frustrating

WhoElse wrote: »
    Any advice on how to kill this app entirely is much appreciated.

You can only remove the app if you root your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I saw this on Samsung's facebook page:
    Sorry for the delay - had to get to the right person in HQ (Korea) - the software update to Galaxy S II is still planned, to make the apps removable - unfortunately the timeline has slipped slightly into February. I will update here when the new s/w is available for upgrade.

angel01 wrote: »
    I saw this on Samsung's facebook page:

Can you link me to their Facebook? Iv sent messages to their twitter a/cs and got no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

We've "slipped into February", but doesnt look like there's any more news on this issue.

My wife has the S2 and was horrified after the update when she couldnt remove these apps. Hopefully there'll be an update soon.

As others have said, this kind of thing would put me right off getting a Samsung in the future. I have a HTC myself (which isn't perfect either) but the levels of frustration I've seen from the missus are far beyond any minor issues i've had with my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

Any news??

Its FEB 21 today ..

a Quarter of a year later.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Samsung are some dickheads. It shouldn't take this long to fix. No doubt it has been swept under a carpet somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 serrades

Any more news on this. 2 months since this malware was propagated. All of a sudden cyanogen with the ads free app is starting to sound really attractive

Advertisement