Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back to Basics...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Tue April 12th

Plan today was a recovery 3 miles @ 10:30 pace and fair to say I wasn't in the mood for this. Just as well I had brought my running gear to work because if I had gone home, I would have found a million excuses not to head out again.

Thought a change of scenery was what I needed so I headed to Malahide Castle for a trot around the grounds on the trails. Great choice I have to say. Decided to ditch the planned recovery pace and just run at what was comfortable as I really needed a feel good run after Sunday.
    Lovely run and I really enjoy just running to how I feel; if its too fast or too slow, who cares!! Love when a dreaded run turns out to be really enjoyable.
    2 of the cutest dogs decided to join me for my stretching so had a great time with them. Balanced out all the cursing of other dogs on the run around!!!

Distance: 3.07
    Time: 29:42
    Pace: 09:41

Cleanman wrote: »
    Love it:D You must run like me, damn flies:P Well done on your comeback, enjoying your log.

Cheers Cleanman, how is your own training going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Yeah you've got to do a nice run after a bad one, just to boost morale and get back into the swing of things again.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

shazkea wrote: »
    Tue April 12th
    Lovely run and I really enjoy just running to how I feel; if its too fast or too slow, who cares!! Love when a dreaded run turns out to be really enjoyable.

:DI do that all the time, hard to beat the feeling of coming in from a nice run like that.

Cheers Cleanman, how is your own training going?
    My training is going great thanks. I'm not long running so my aim for the first few months was to get into it by running easy, consistently and injury free. So i can relate to your trainging since your injury! I'm going to up the pace for the summer though and see if I can post some respectable times:eek:

Missed a couple of gym sessions this week as I was just not feeling the grá for being inside on the bright evenings. Hopefully get back to it next week.

Friday April 15th

An introduction to hill training in Ardgillan...:eek:
    Met up with Nules10 for a planned hill interval session. 1.77 miles warm-up which was about an even split between flat, uphill and downhill - there is no such thing as just flat in Ardgillan!! I was shattered after this!!
    Then she introduced me to the "little" hill which is about 100m with a good incline - perfect for starting this type of training. We did the first one and jogged back down but found the recovery a bit too short so walked down after the next one which was better.

In total 5 of these at the quickest pace we could go - although we were still chatting (in between gulps of air) during some of them so maybe not really the quickest :rolleyes:. Idea of course is to build up the number of intervals and be able to jog down. Then we can move onto the "big"hill :)
    Cool-down jog/walk back to cars...naturally car park is at top of hill!!

Cheers for the session and the company Nules, def a good workout.

Planned LSR in park tomorrow - distance tbd!

• Advertisement

Cleanman wrote: »
    My training is going great thanks. I'm not long running so my aim for the first few months was to get into it by running easy, consistently and injury free. So i can relate to your trainging since your injury! I'm going to up the pace for the summer though and see if I can post some respectable times:eek:

Great to hear you're back after injury. Any target races in mind for your PB's?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great to hear you're back after injury. Any target races in mind for your PB's?

Thanks. I haven't targeted any race but I'd love to go sub 20 for the 5k before the end of the summer. If I stay injury free, hopefully it's achieveable:eek: Most important thing is to stay clear of injury though, build it up nice and slow.

Nice training on the hills by the way. I'm not much into the gym during the summer either. Plenty of time for that over the dark evenings in winter:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

In total 5 of these at the quickest pace we could go - although we were still chatting (in between gulps of air) during some of them so maybe not really the quickest .
    :D Probably the worse kind of session to try get to know each other.
    Was a good workout alright my glutes were well and truly aching this morning so we did something right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Then we can move onto the "big"hill :)

And that is some hill in ardgillan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

An introduction to hill training in Ardgillan...:eek:
    !

Well done! have never run in Ardgillan but love it there.
    Last time I was there I had to wrestle a buggy with a new born and 3 year old! up the hill, dont think I could ever run it!

• Advertisement

maria74 wrote: »
    And that is some hill in ardgillan!
    ILOVERED wrote: »
    Well done! have never run in Ardgillan but love it there.
    Last time I was there I had to wrestle a buggy with a new born and 3 year old! up the hill, dont think I could ever run it!

Lol, cheers girls. So when are you going to join us there for a session??? It'll help with the speed training...or so I'm told anyway :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    :D Probably the worse kind of session to try get to know each other.
    Was a good workout alright my glutes were well and truly aching this morning so we did something right ;)

But sure it was good fun eh :). Not a ache or a pain this morning though, bet tomorrow morning will be a different story!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

So when are you going to join us there for a session???

:eek: I have alot to do before I could do that!! Thanks tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Lol, cheers girls. So when are you going to join us there for a session??? It'll help with the speed training...or so I'm told anyway :)

As a spectator maybe!!!:D

Sunday April 17th

LSR in the park with Nules this morning and it was a beautiful morning for it. No real plan in mind but I knew I wanted to do a minimum of 8. Nules had planned 10 so if I could hang onto her for the extra 2, then that would be great. First half we did the nice side of the park and threw in the Kyber and Upper Glen hills. I chickened out out the furry glen in an effort to make the 10 comfortably but it will be on the hitlist next time!!

Trying to get better with hydration and nutrition during runs so at about 7 we stopped for water and gel. No real need for a gel over 10 miles but wanted to get the stomach used to them again. On we trotted to finish out the 10. Delighted to get back to double digits again and legs feel good.

To say this run was at conversational pace would be an understatement :) Definitely much easier to run with people on a long run, times flies when you're having fun!

A nice walk in Skerries afterwards stretched out the legs so all good...

Distance: 10.05 miles
    Time: 1:45:20
    Pace: 10:29

I chickened out out the furry glen in an effort to make the 10 comfortably but it will be on the hitlist next time!!
    Wechickened out of it ;)
    To say this run was at conversational pace would be an understatement
    :D

We could have ran by each other yesterday. We were both concentrating no doubt in 'elite runner mode'! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Sunday April 17th

LSR in the park with Nules this morning and it was a beautiful morning for it. No real plan in mind but I knew I wanted to do a minimum of 8. Nules had planned 10 so if I could hang onto her for the extra 2, then that would be great. First half we did the nice side of the park and threw in the Kyber and Upper Glen hills. I chickened out out the furry glen in an effort to make the 10 comfortably but it will be on the hitlist next time!!

Trying to get better with hydration and nutrition during runs so at about 7 we stopped for water and gel. No real need for a gel over 10 miles but wanted to get the stomach used to them again. On we trotted to finish out the 10. Delighted to get back to double digits again and legs feel good.

To say this run was at conversational pace would be an understatement :) Definitely much easier to run with people on a long run, times flies when you're having fun!

A nice walk in Skerries afterwards stretched out the legs so all good...

Distance: 10.05 miles
    Time: 1:45:20
    Pace: 10:29
    Nules10 wrote: »
    Wechickened out of it ;)

:D

La la la...http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/therace/teamrelay/.....:rolleyes:

jcsmum wrote: »
    We could have ran by each other yesterday. We were both concentrating no doubt in 'elite runner mode'! :)

Nope I didn't spot 3 super elite amigos running around the park :D. Figured you might be around so kept an eye out to make sure we made way for the stampede past us!

Monday April 18th

Gym session with 25 mins bike and 20 mins strength and stretching.

First interval session tomorrow; garmin set up and ready to go...think I should go order the oxygen cannister now :eek:

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »

OMG you're like the little devil sitting on my shoulder whispering great ideas in my head :eek:...tell me more

Will you be holding time trials for your team lke RQ is :D

First interval session tomorrow; garmin set up and ready to go...think I should go order the oxygen cannister now
    Good luck with the intervals today... will be no bother to you :)

Nope I didn't spot 3 super elite amigos running around the park :D. Figured you might be around so kept an eye out to make sure we made way for the stampede past us!

Stampede! I think not! They kept me at a good steady pace alright, probably a bit faster than I would have done on my own. But it felt great being able to keep up and maintain the pace. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

OMG you're like the little devil sitting on my shoulder whispering great ideas in my head :eek:...tell me more

Will you be holding time trials for your team lke RQ is :D

Yes..anything faster than a 9.15 minute mile and you're off!! :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Stampede! I think not! They kept me at a good steady pace alright, probably a bit faster than I would have done on my own. But it felt great being able to keep up and maintain the pace. :)

That was a great pace over a 20+ miler - hope you're using them as pacers in Cork :)

claralara wrote: »
    Yes..anything faster than a 9.15 minute mile and you're off!! :)

Lol - looks like I would qualify for that :D. Signed to womens mini yoke with a friend who is new to running. I know she's not going to make it to start line so I'm on for any excuse that gets me out of it...I bags the shortest leg :)

First time trying intervals and I had no idea what to expect really so I thought conservative would be the best way to do this. I had set up a workout in the Garmin (first time also!) for the following:
    1. 1 Mile warm up
    2. 5 x intervals...
      a) 400m @ 08:30 pace
      b) 2 min recovery jog
    3. 0.75 mile cool down
    Legs felt like lead during warm-up but cracking form when I started the intervals. Fecking watch nearly met an early death for beeping at me to slow down the whole time (my own fault, not enough pace range). So as a result interval paces are all over the place.

5 x 400m Split Pace:
    1. 07:25
    2. 08:05
    3. 07:44
    4. 08:04
    5: 07:16 - gave up trying to slow down :rolleyes:

Nice cool-down jog back to car.

Lessons learnt:
    • Intervals should not be this much fun...
    • from point 1, obviously not enough repeats so need to increase to 10? (would this be correct??)
    • Pace times should not be all over the place - increase pace range and stick to a set target.
      Should pace be at target 5km pace, yeah?
    Looking for any advice on the above so all comments welcomed :)

Total Distance: 3.84
    Time: 38.04
    Avg Pace: 09:55

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I tried intervals for the first time last week too, 5x 400m at my pace for a 5km race. This is from the Hal Higdon Intermediate Half Marathon plan.

I'm still trying to work out how to display the current interval's pace on my Garmin 305. There must be some way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'm still trying to work out how to display the current interval's pace on my Garmin 305. There must be some way!

Won't it do it if you have it on current pace rather than lap pace?

@shazkea that's good going. Intervals is something I've missed out on since not being in a club anymore. You've made me want to do them now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The 5k and 10k plans I've followed have the intervals at around 5k pace. Basically, at the start of the training plan you run shorter intervals, at your current 5k pace, and as you get closer to your goal race you get closer to your target pace, and run longer intervals.

Micilin, if you set up an intermediate workout on your 305, each interval will be a lap, so you'll see your pace for that interval. It's really not complicated to set up - you say how long each interval will be, and how long the recovery will be (in distance or time), and a warmup and cooldown. The start of your run is warmup, which continues until you hit the Lap button to start your first interval.

Advertisement