Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Robocop (Reboot)

• 02-03-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

Robocop has been attempting to make a big screen come back for years now, with various filmmakers all turning their hand to the project.
    Now, though, MGM appear to have find a man to fill the director’s chair, with Elite Squad’s Joe Padilha in negotiations to take on the gig.
    Padilha’s Elite Squad received acclaimed for its street level action, which dealt with Brazil’s drug culture in a feverish, breathless fashion.
    Padilha also helmed award-winning doc Bus 174, which means he’s also got a few grey cells to go along with that action mentality – and could mean he’s a surprise perfect fit for Robocop.
    Paul Verhoeven’s original 1987 Robocop was celebrated for its satirical wit as much as its iconic imagery, which means the reboot’s director should be able to handle both action and social commentary.
    Once Padilha has signed on to the reboot, MGM will finally hire a writer to get the Robocop script off the ground. The MGM revival continues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I was slighty optimistic when Aronofsky was attached but now it leaves a horrble feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Nothing is sacred anymore.
    I just waiting for the 'reboot' of Citizen Kane with Gerard Butler in the title role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I just waiting for the 'reboot' of Citizen Kane with Gerard Butler in the title role.

And Rosebud will be a Jetski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

I'd buy that for a dollar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Elite Squad is a brilliant little film but meh,this has CGI fest written all over it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

No no no no no no.

No one will be able to capture the humour that Verhoeven created when he made the movie. And even if someone could, you have to ask "Why bother?"

As the robocop sequels and tv show showed us, no one was able to recreate what Verhoeven did without making it look retarded or farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i think anyone remaking it shouldnt even try to copy the tone of the original but rather make it their own. otherwise it will only end in tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

faceman wrote: »
    No no no no no no.

No one will be able to capture the humour that Verhoeven created when he made the movie. And even if someone could, you have to ask "Why bother?"

As the robocop sequels and tv show showed us, no one was able to recreate what Verhoeven did without making it look retarded or farcical.

I kinda liked Robo 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

i think this could really work if done right,robocop 1 was good i think the hardcore violence made it the same with robocop 2,maybe take out all the cheesy future ads i.e teh sunblock 3000 was funny tho

i think a Dark robocop movie could be super

anyone hear any links to who would play murphy?

i wud like to see someone like Tom hardy or Gerard butler possibly,so long as they dont get someone like john cena ill be happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Robocop 1 is the only notable film in the entire franchise of movies and TV Shows as they truly are awful (Robocop 2's saving grace are some excellent scenes involving a mix of live footage and the stop-animated baddie).

Really shows that nobody knew what to do with Robocop besides Verhoeven.

But, considering the entire franchise (bar the 1st film, obviously) was shìte I don't really care what they do with this. If it's shìte I'll just dismiss it like all the other Robocop related stuff :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Dick Burns

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/how-to-reboot-robocop/nice-shooting-son-what-s-your-name#content

Lads check out this article its very good and on the 5th part of it it suggests who should play the enw robocop OUR VERY OWN CILLIAN MURPHY

i couldnt believe how much he looked like Peter Weller and i think he would be perfect!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

A remake?? NOOOO! A sequel with an advanced Robocop out to avenge the original's destruction? Maybe. Sleeker suit, a DOS upgrade :D, (slightly) faster movement (I like the "he's a tank" idea) Maybe start with a drawback of some kind - say version 1 was an upgrade to arms/legs/eyes lost in line of duty (perhaps trying to save original Robo?) and there were rejection issues and then more had to be replaced up the amount Murphy had done.

I loved the comment on that Total Film article:
    Money could better spent rebooting Ashton Kutcher into space, not a movie, just in general :D

Oh and...
    I kinda liked Robo 3

:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dick Burns wrote: »
    i think this could really work if done right,robocop 1 was good i think the hardcore violence made it the same with robocop 2,maybe take out all the cheesy future ads i.e teh sunblock 3000 was funny tho

i think a Dark robocop movie could be super

anyone hear any links to who would play murphy?

i wud like to see someone like Tom hardy or Gerard butler possibly,so long as they dont get someone like john cena ill be happy :)

Robocop is all about that humour and ott violence. A dark robocop wouldn't work because the realism would be too hard to believe due to the lack of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Robocop is all about that humour and ott violence.

Very much agreed, but I'd also add the following:

What I've noticed over the years is that the original has an open and closed narrative. Once Murphy kills the bad guys and, more importantly, regains his humanity, the story is over. This makes it difficult to go anywhere else with the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

fúck it! why don't they just go ahead and make the Robocop Vs. Terminator film of the comic
    just as silly an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Robocop is all about that humour and ott violence. A dark robocop wouldn't work because the realism would be too hard to believe due to the lack of humour.

Robocop knows its silly and goes with it, and it works brilliantly. its one of the most quotable movies ever as well. "can ya fly Bobby?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I love Robocop....

"You burned the Fcuking MONEY"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0925/fassbenderm.html
    Director José Padhila has voiced his interest in casting Michael Fassbender in the lead role of his remake of the 80s cult classic movie RoboCop.
    The Elite Squad director said that he plans on talking to the award-winning actor once casting gets underway.
    He told Brazilian TV channel Globo 1, as translated by website Bleeding Cool: "I can't talk yet, it's too early to speak, but there are some actors I like. I really like [Michael] Fassbender. I'd like to talk to him - I'll take to him.
    "There's a possibility, and there's a lot of other great actors that would play RoboCop."

Padhila confirmed that filming on the project will star in Detroit, Michigan in early 2012.

Fassbender has been on a roll as of late picking great roles but this could turn out be a major turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0925/fassbenderm.html

Fassbender has been on a roll as of late picking great roles but this could turn out be a major turkey

It is only a comment by Padhila saying he would like to talk to Fassbender about the role. Nothing at all to suggest that Fassbender would even be interested.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd rather this film wasn't happening, but Padhila is an excellent director. I'm a hell of a lot more interested to see this now that he's involved.

And is Elite Squad 2 ever going to get a theatrical release here? I'm sure I saw it in the IFI's programme guide during the summer, but they never screened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://screenrant.com/robocop-remake-director-approach-sandy-133145/

ran across this when I was trying to google how much RAM robocop ran on, based on a quote from the original movie. couldnt find it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Joel Kinnaman has been confirmed as the lead in the new Robocop remake.
    http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a369184/joel-kinnaman-confirmed-for-robocop-remake.html

Never heard of him, anyone know if he's any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I've only ever seen him in Safe House and his role wasn't really substantial enough to let me form an opinion. "The Killing" is quite popular, so maybe fans of that can let us know about his acting chops?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

I've only ever seen him in Safe House and his role wasn't really substantial enough to let me form an opinion. "The Killing" is quite popular, so maybe fans of that can let us know about his acting chops?

I thought he was pretty decent in 'The Killing' alright. He's has quite a big frame so might just pull off the Robocop look anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

How much acting is required from Robocop anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

James Woods would have been perfect as Robocop...just sayin' like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

How much acting is required from Robocop anyway?
    Not much for the previous fims, but we don't know what direction the reboot will take. Also, how much of the film will feature Murphy rather than Robocop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The role definitely requires a good actor, but not necessarily a movie star. Peter Weller was certainly not a household name in 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CharAdriel

Still not convinced that a Robocop remake is a good idea, but depending on who they cast and the storyline, I may give it a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/robocop/21440/gary-oldman-joins-robocop
    Here's an interesting piece of casting news for the upcoming remake/reboot/reimagining of RoboCop: Gary Oldman has just joined the cast.

The film currently stars Joel Kinnaman as Alex Murphy/RoboCop, with Jose Padilha directing. And now we learn that Oldman is set to plan Norton, a scientist, who invents the technology that brings RoboCop to life in the first place.

This gives a hint of the differing focus of Padilha's film over Paul Verhoeven's original. After all, you don't cast someone like Gary Oldman in an unimportant, side role, so the science behind the genesis of RoboCop is, had been previously reported, very much being played up.

Thats inspiring a little more confidence anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I love Gary but even he is susceptible to starring in the odd turkey, Red Riding Hood for one. :pac::pac::pac:

Also, I personally liked the Book of Eli but it was generally panned iirc.

Advertisement