Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ashai beer?its from japan
    It's not, it's from Kent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

BeerNut wrote: »

Have you tasted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Has anyone tasted ashai beer?its from japan,Saw it in my local super value for 3 euro a bottle :eek:

They only have it listed in their stores since early last week. Let's be fair Supervalu are always on the expensive end for most products.(Other than their current Wine Promotion which is fairly good)

It originates in Japan. It is a Japanese beer although BeerNut is pedantically correct in that it physically comes from Shepherd Neame in Kent where they brew it under License.

One of a number they brew under license.

Have you tasted it?
    Yes. It's okay, as that sort of thing goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes. It's okay, as that sort of thing goes.

Rubbish (ok bland) beer mixed in to a superb rant against the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭VW 1

Was in the Porterhouse on Friday night and had two pints of Galway Hooker which after the great reviews on here I wasnt overly crazy about but would drink it again. Then had two pints of Wrasslers XXXX which was superb IMO beats Guinness and the PH Plain Stout hands down. Then moved on into town where I was subjected to a choice of Carlsberg and Heineken for the night, not impressed!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Carlsberg is probably the worst beer ever.

I've just had a bottle of La Guillotine. It was delicious. The head is massive on it and lingers for awhile. And the alcohol is barely noticeable even at 9%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Having my first O'Hara's. Leann Folláin, absolutely delicious. I think I prefer it to Wrasslers.

Will also be having a O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale, which I've had before.

And a Clotworthy Dobbin to finish it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Sergeant wrote: »
    Having my first O'Hara's. Leann Folláin, absolutely delicious. I think I prefer it to Wrasslers.

Will also be having a O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale, which I've had before.

And a Clotworthy Dobbin to finish it all off.

Both stouts are fantastic.

I had a Helvick Gold tonight. It really is a fantastic pale ale. Stocked up on some copper coast and blackrock too. I think I must be single handidly keeping Dungarvan and O'Haras in business at this stage haha

I discovered that The Lord Mayor's off licence in Swords have a large variety of craft beers.

I bought a fair bit in there over the last couple of days but my highlight is a bottle of Chimay Blue Grand Reserve 2007 which cost €7.95 and came with a free Chimay glass and a little booklet about Chimay and Trappist beers.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Nothing special this week.. Few moosehead and O'Haras IPA.. Cant get enough of the IPA!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

KJ wrote: »
    I discovered that The Lord Mayor's off licence in Swords have a large variety of craft beers.

I bought a fair bit in there over the last couple of days but my highlight is a bottle of Chimay Blue Grand Reserve 2007 which cost €7.95 and came with a free Chimay glass and a little booklet about Chimay and Trappist beers.:D

Does it have the likes of O'Hara's in there?

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Does it have the likes of O'Hara's in there?

Yeah they have O'Hara's, Porterhouse and College Green Brewery stuff in there. Lots of Belgian beers, German beers, Scottish & English Ales and even an Ethiopian beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Yeah they have O'Hara's, Porterhouse and College Green Brewery stuff in there. Lots of Belgian beers, German beers, Scottish & English Ales and even an Ethiopian beer.

I work very close and never thought of going in there in all my life. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I hear that Ethiopian beer is lacking in body!:pac::pac::pac:

(Sorry!:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Seckz Panther

Karpackie...probably will be the same for a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Two small bottles of La Trappe Isid'or Trappist.

lovely taste but I find it a bit watery :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bit of a hop journey over the last few days.
    Friday - Went to the PorterHouse and really enjoyed some Metalman on draught. Other Irish beers/ales too, but this was my favourite
    Sunday - Victory Brewing's Hop Wallop - lovely but at 8.5% couldn't drink too many of these (but I could try!)
    Tuesday - Southwold Winter IPA - Hmm. Not sure about this one. Delicious certainly, but I think I may have developed a taste for the more carbonated IPAs. Have another bottle, so will try again in a few days
    Wednesday - Brooklyn East India Pale Ale - loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Spent a couple of days in London at the International Brewing Awards. All the medal winning beers were on offer, so there was a lot to get through, but I tried my best.

Some of the standout ones were:

Liberation Ale, from Jersey. On tip top form on cask
    Snow Blanche from Konishi, Japan
    Manns Brown, from Marston's (at 2.8% this is one you could drink all day)
    Myanmar Doubel Strong, from Myanmar
    Mirror Mirror from Deschutes, USA.

Ended up in the Harp afterwards, where Darkstar Hophead and Jaipur IPA hit the spot.

Just got back from Jus de Wine in Portmarnock. My God they have lots of beer.
    I picked up:
    Porterhouse Hop Head
    Peroni Gran Riserva
    Red Frog Ale
    Blonde Frog Ale
    Edelstoff Exportbier
    Brains SA Gold
    Clancy's Amber Ale
    Holzar Bier
    Viru
    Brooklyner - Schneider Hopfen Weisee (750ml)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

RichieC wrote: »
    Pints of Tuborg in me local...

where can you get tuborg on tap?

I saw a poster for it in the Czech Inn. Looks like Diageo are pushing it as their budget brand in pubs: €4 a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I saw a poster for it in the Czech Inn. Looks like Diageo are pushing it as their budget brand in pubs: €4 a pint.

It is owned by Carlsberg. And they push it as their premium lager in many countries around the world, must depend on the tastebuds of the punters in the country! ;)

It is owned by Carlsberg.
    And Diageo are the agents for Carlsberg in Ireland. They brew Carlsberg Lager here and distribute Tuborg.
    they push it as their premium lager in many countries around the world
    It's certainly their thrift brand in Denmark, and has been so here in the off trade for a few years now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Pub I work in up in Donegal has been offered it with a suggested retail price of €3. Know a couple of pub owners in the area have ordered it in anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Had Zubr last night, tonight it's back to the local so probably Staroprammen. Which is a bit gassy but it's either that, or Carling or Stella.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Pub I work in up in in Donegal has been offered it with a suggested retail price of €3. Know a couple of pub owners in the area have ordered it in anyway.

They'll turn it into another Bavaria / Dutch Gold at that rate.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    They'll turn it into another Bavaria / Dutch Gold at that rate.
    I'd say that's exactly the plan. Cha-ching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭texasgal

** a very envious texasgal here **

• Advertisement

I'd say that's exactly the plan. Cha-ching!

Yeah, but look at Bavaria now putting all that effort trying to raise the bar from what it was. Total rebrand, pushing draught in pubs, sponsoring motorsports, etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement