Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ok.. I'm officially buying a car - wanna help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

steve06 wrote: »
    I hate to burst the bubble but with 80k to spend and it'll have to be in Ireland because of the trade in, a DB9 or V8 vantage is way out of price range. You could probably get a Bentley Continental but lets face it.... they're just not nice enough!

There was a link to a V8 Vantage earlier I think for 88k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Fairly sure i saw one of those for sale over here.

Edit: Something similar anyway
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Porsche/Cayman/S-777-Bl/200902191424073/advert
    there's 2 or 3 of them knocking around. I know Des Cullen had 2 of them last year.
    TheBazman wrote: »
    There was a link to a V8 Vantage earlier I think for 88k
    From the UK with VRT added maybe? there's none near that price on the Irish used car sites. I originally recommended one as they're under 40k in the UK

From the UK with VRT added maybe? there's none near that price on the Irish used car sites. I originally recommended one as they're under 40k in the UK

this one http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1276825

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

TheBazman wrote: »
    ah yea, would he accept an Irish reg car as trade in though? He can pic up a 335 for half the price from the UK, and then sell it up north or down here whereas with the OP's car he's kind of stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

The DB might be a mad idea Mark but it is a completely different class of car in my opinion. If it's within your range, even stretching it a little you should really consider it. Take one out for a spin, make up your own mind.

If it was my money i would defo be pushing for a DB9, but it was a dream car of mine since it came out, maybe it didn't have the same effect on you. Each to their own. Good luck with the search

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

The DB might be a mad idea Mark but it is a completely different class of car in my opinion. If it's within your range, even stretching it a little you should really consider it. Take one out for a spin, make up your own mind.

If it was my money i would defo be pushing for a DB9, but it was a dream car of mine since it came out, maybe it didn't have the same effect on you. Each to their own. Good luck with the search

+1.

Now I've no idea on your financial situation MarkN bar that you can afford X amount on a new car. Would it be viable to hold out for a few weeks or months to raise the cash so you'd be more comfortable treating yourself to a DB9?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Susan Glamorous Plywood

If i were in the op's position I would go for a m6, its unbelievably fast and super high tech. The DB9 is realistically too old and out of price range, the caymen is a bit small and in my opinion overpriced. A GT contenental is too much of a old man car (but terrifically fast). Problem is Mark, you will be working a lot for the car and I know you thought of downsizing the car and working less. Whats wrong with holding onto you top of the range 3 series coupe. Its 306 bhp and very comfortable and pretty fuel efficient, and full loaded with extras. You have a nicer car than 99% of whats on the road. (I know thats not really the point, and sure I used to chage car every 6 months)

I am going to drive mine for a few years and get the 2011 M5 or M6 when it comes out. Dont want to spend too much at the moment cause you never know what the future will bring at the moment with the economy. Now if I were a cah buyer that would be different.

How about getting a track day car and holding you current car. Its great fun and you dont have to spend a lot. Lotus Elise, Opel speedster, TVR, older M3, Ariel atom and the like. Keep them on yellow plates and buy a trailer to bring them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

See the reason I am thinking of this is not cause I'm bored of the car or anything like that, I have money in a car that has depreciated about €40,000 in 15 months... I've had enough. If it's the banks money that's different, it was mostly my money.

I'm hoping to get into something that will calm the depreciation, something that seems mad in this current climate but if a Porsche can slow my money being pi55ed away a little bit then I'm all for it.. false economy? I'm not sure but this time next year my originally 80 grand car is going to stand about 20 grand to me if I keep it.

Maybe I'll go out and buy something safe to ride through the recession like an A5 2.0T but either way I want to get out of having the "wrong car" in a time like this.

• Advertisement

ah yea, would he accept an Irish reg car as trade in though? He can pic up a 335 for half the price from the UK, and then sell it up north or down here whereas with the OP's car he's kind of stuck.

I dont disagree however the OP is only looking for car suggestions - I think he mentioned earlier that he can get a dealer to source a car in the UK for him IIRC. If Hursts can source one then maybe another dealer can who would also be willing to take his 335

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

MarkN wrote: »
    false economy? I'm not sure but this time next year my originally 80 grand car is going to stand about 20 grand to me if I keep it.

I think you're going to lose out that or more on a newish Caymen, look at the drubbing used Boxster prices have taken. 911's do seem to hold their money however.

Same applies to Bentley's, Bmw's and Aston's imo. Used cars that are expensive to run lose lots of money and thats the end of it. Personally i'd keep the 335 or possibly upgrade to a used M3 and leave it at that.

but either way I want to get out of having the "wrong car" in a time like this.

Unfortunately I think the horse has bolted on that one

I'm in not too dissimilar a position having taken a chunk of depreciation on a motor I bought last year but I'm not bored with the car I have so I'm gonna hold on to it for a few more years. If I do get bored I may get DMS to work some of their magic. I'm not sure that changing now to a motor value at twice your own is going to help you much financially if that is the main rationale for doing it. The rate of depreciation on yours is going to slow down from here plus I think there will be more deals to be got in the semi supercar sector in the next year or two as more people who splashed out in the good times realise they cant afford the repayments - there has to be a lot of London city heads who were counting on bonuses this year and next to finance their ferrari/porsche/bentleys etc who aint gonna get bonuses leading to more value in the UK market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

See the reason I am thinking of this is not cause I'm bored of the car or anything like that, I have money in a car that has depreciated about €40,000 in 15 months... I've had enough. If it's the banks money that's different, it was mostly my money.

I'm hoping to get into something that will calm the depreciation, something that seems mad in this current climate but if a Porsche can slow my money being pi55ed away a little bit then I'm all for it.. false economy? I'm not sure but this time next year my originally 80 grand car is going to stand about 20 grand to me if I keep it.

Maybe I'll go out and buy something safe to ride through the recession like an A5 2.0T but either way I want to get out of having the "wrong car" in a time like this.

Cars arent really an investment. All of the cars mentioned will depreciate heavily over the next two years, especially in a recession. When you go to sell it in two years time, there just won't be a sufficient market for a car like the DB9, not in Ireland anyway.

If you are genuinely interested in avoiding the depreciation on your current car, then maybe you should be looking at a 320/325 coupe for the next few years, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I do like your thinking, MarkN, but I don't think any car you'd like is going to escape crippling depreciation over the coming few years. Is there anything that's really bugging you about the 335i? If not, I can think of far worse places to wait things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

If you want a car that you wont lose your balls on, then you not only need to be looking at a car that you like, but look at a car that may be desireable in a few years time.

There is no point in spending 80k on an Aston if you want a car that wont depreciate heavy as there will be no market for it in the future, so you will have to give it away.

As they say, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.....

If you want a car that could hold its value well, buy a 320d Coupe, or an Audi A5 2.7TDi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

You've already taken the depriciation hit now. All cars will depriciate further so its a risky situation no matter what you do. My advice would be to keep your own or move to a Porsche Cayman as it seems your kind of style.

Other then that i wouldn't get too carried away as there are some dreamers in this thread with some of the suggestions. It's all well and good looking as cars from the uk but you have to factor in vrt and it it very often alot more then most people expect. Trust me on that one. Plus the fact most omsp of cars like the ones talked about here have not gone down and probably wont as the cars aren't sellin here so its very hard to prove your point in an appeal to the vro after you've already stumped up the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi Mark, I think it a bit of an odd one to spend more money to avoid depreciation. It's a bit like looking for the secret to eternal life. :D

Your 335i is a nice car, I'd hold on to it if depreciation is your sole reason for change.
    I still like the idea of an M3 though (if I was limiting to a coupe, my real choice is an M5), changed my vote back to this from the DB9. Cars like the DB9 are likely to be a lot more expensive to maintain than a BMW, even the mighty .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sorry, Mark ..but this one actually made me laugh out loud

The "supercars" you're hankering after in this this thread have come within your reach because ?...beeecause they've already depreciated massively!

And they will continue doing so at a scary rate.

If you want to beat depreciation in a collapsing market, you need to get into bangernomics, not luxury sports cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Whoa.. Fm104 are paying well... €80k car. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

70908.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

It seems you want a car more depreciation-proof and then talk about getting something even further up the automotive ladder, something which will fall in value as quickly or ever more quickly than your BM. If you really want to be (relavantly) prudent you'd go out & buy an A5/3-series with the tichiest diesel engine and decent spec. But you're not gonna do that...

So why not get the Cayman? I haven't done any research as it's not my type of car. However my thinking is that your 3 series is relatively common-or-garden compared to a Porker (and the entry-level much less affordable). 335 or not 3-series in general are common as muck and this has to effect values of the top-end, almost identical examples.

The Cayman on the other hand is more special, more exclusive and frankly a genuine drivers car that will always have a market.

So get the Cayman, hold onto it for a while and spend the recession years dreaming up the spec for the spanking new 911 you're gonna trade un to a few years down the road...

Personally i'd have an Evora, consider it more of a drivers car and much more special but you'd lose your shirt on that as well in this climate and a Toyota V6 won't hold much sway with the image-conscious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

This is a completly nutz ideal.:P
    Invest an incredibly large amount of money to get out of a rapidly depreciating coupe to obtain a luxury sports car that will devalue equally as quick if not quicker.:rolleyes:
    The uncomfortable reality is that many people like the OP here have been playing "musical chairs" with luxury car ownership. For years, we've been trading up and getting better and more desirable motors. Then, all of a sudden, the game has ended, the music suddenly stopped and we're stuck with the car we are sitting on.
    And OP, you're stuck with your car. And whatever way to move, you're going to loose your Fm104 Polo Shirt and wind up like a right strawberry!;)

but good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

80k for a car...is that all??

skin flint:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Before I start, if you don't have a car suggestion or don't love cars, then don't reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

`Jsus how much have you lost on your cars in the last couple of years..

You owned a Gti - S3 - and now a 335i, for the life of me cant understand why you wanted to change from the GTI in the first place, that probably was the most non-depreciating and best all round car you've owned.

Lambo FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I think it's just got to be a DB9. It is the only car that is classless ... in otherwords if you're driving an M3, or a 911, or a Cayman S, or a Maserati, or even a Lambo people will always have a 'Look at that tosser' comment. I've never ever heard anyone say a bad thing about a DB9, and it's an epic car. I will have one in a few years when they reach a point where I can afford to buy one. If you can Mark, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm in no way a reg snob, but for that first Porsche (even how gorgeous it is), there is no way i could spend that money for a 93, when i could get a 06 for the same money. That's a collectors car only imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

If its depreciation you wanna beat then, Classic is the only way to go!! (Id go for a 60's 911)

As for the DB9, does anyone else think they are starting to look a little dated these days? The interior is shocking, very bland.

S.

Advertisement