Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Some French woman has a problem with The Irish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

TBH, and I'll whisper this, but thick Irish accents make me rather nauseous. And Dublin is a hole. :p

But thats probably just the middle class elitist coming out of me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

She's not all wrong tbh. A bit bitter perhaps, but at least the French tend to be honest about things and speak their minds whereas the irish will gloss over things way too much.

cornbb wrote: »
    She's not all wrong tbh. A bit bitter perhaps, but at least the French tend to be honest about things and speak their minds whereas the irish will gloss over things way too much.

Except, as we already have established, the war.

Really, its fine that she is being honest, but the problem is she deeply irrational and insecure. Behind this attack upon the Irish is a blatant superiority complex, and insecurity about her own nationality that she is not honest about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You also have to realise that there's an elite in France that tried to abolish regional accents and did abolish regional languages like Longue D'Oc spoken in the south/southwest of France.

They systematically tried to wipe out the use of Breton and Basque only accepting that they could be subjects in school in recent years.

They tried to wipe out German in Alsace and Lorraine even sticking up posters in schools in the 1950s and 60s with messages about how it was more Chique to speak French. The use of German in official documents etc was outlawed and the language suffered a death.

Regional policy in France tends to be top-down Paris-elite centric stuff. It's got a terrible history when it comes to celebrating regional language / cultural variations etc.

It's only in recent years that such regionalism has been accepted as something that is a good thing.

Basically, the previous attitude in France was similar to Victorian / Edwardian England - speak in RP and having a regional accent is at worst undesirable or at best amusing.

So, to me it doesn't at all surprise me that this lady would find anything short of the Queen's English offensive. She's just an irritating cultural snob from a bygone era.

Thats very interesting Solair thanks, and there is an undoubted underlying elitism to her post despite her boring prose and secondary school level writing ability. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

She can piss off back to Paris tbh. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

A racist skank with the literacy of a ten-year-old. The Sunday Indo is worse for printing this hate-filled crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Orizio wrote: »
    Thats very interesting Solair thanks, and there is an undoubted underlying elitism to her post despite her boring prose and secondary school level writing ability. ;)

I read somewhere that the thing that really pisses off the French elite is that some old lefties put paid to the monarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

There's only one word to describe this 'lady'.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the thing that really pisses off the French elite is that some old lefties put paid to the monarchy.

Well the guillotine was a fantastic invention, unfortunately it clearly missed out one particurly racist's great great great grandparents...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

That was all a bit mad wasn't it?

be jeebus mad stuff all together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

A racist skank with the literacy of a ten-year-old. The Sunday Indo is worse for printing this hate-filled crap.
    Yeah, aren't all the "Paddy" references nice.
    Maybe they'll publish some n*gger rants next time.

tbh I think this thread should be nuked instead of re-publishing her waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

we hate the french and germans? news to me, i thought it was the english we hated. also, the accent, well she was in dublin, fair enough :D:D
    I'm surprised the indo would publish this troll.

I think that the Indo should name and shame, to prove that it actually is written by a French woman, and not by Kevin Myers in a frock stirring up the masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

I reckon this woman's problem probably lies with her Irish husband of 32 years, not the entire Irish planetary contingent.
    Except she covers that angle when she says
    When I was in sales in London, the Irish clients were the easiest to get. Why? Just telling them, "I am married to an Irishman" was sufficient to get the appointment/the deal. They all thought they were loved. Idiots! Sometimes I even found it too easy.
    and
    As for the accent of my husband, he has a great musical ear, and maybe that is why he has hardly any Irish accent. Lucky me!
    So I'd take she's happy enough with her husband. Its more like she's not letting that blind her to what she sees in the rest of the place.

I think the strand of self-delusion she refers to is a feature of Irish life. I like her line don't mix up "patronising you" with "liking you". In fact, I generally like the idea that her letter was actually published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭cranoo

God Bless her Irish Husband :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

She talks about telling Irish clients that she's married to an Irish guy as a way of making a sale. That works on anyone, it's not saying that you're loved or saying anything about them or their culture, what you are saying is: we have a connection, so trust me. It works for any situation and not just on Irish people.

Tell a French client that you've visited France, that you've French relatives and they'll warm-up.

Tell an American about your long lost aunty Mary who moved to California in 1903 and they'll warm-up.

People like connections, it's not an Irish thing, it's a human thing.

I find it absolutely offensive that she calls Irish people idiots. The reason that English clients may be less receptive to her is that the English have a major attitude towards the French, the Irish generally don't. The Americans usually aren't too charmed by the French either.

I have really good French friends and quite like France in many ways. I think this woman is being a terrible ambassador to her own country and is just a sad, bitter snob and really doesn't deserve the column inches or the wasted breath on this forum!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Orizio wrote: »
    Well the guillotine was a fantastic invention,
    Yea bu it was largely a Scottish invention. Zut Alors!:p
    zuroph wrote:
    I'm surprised the indo would publish this troll.
    :eek: Now that surprises me that anyone would be surprised.:D

Yep, usual ex pat type bemoaning the day she left her old country. Marriage is in the doldrums of mundanity and she's píssed off. Throw in that she figures she's of a higher social class than she could ever aspire to back home and voila as they say.

Personally I've gotten on with the french I've met there and here. Indeed in britanny I found them very friendly concerning the micks. Maybe they were trying to rip me off.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

(French and German are the only two nationalities one can hate openly). Apart from American, British, etc.

It is a fact that the Irish are totally ignorant regarding the cultures of thousands of beautiful countries and regions all over the world. I hadn't realised there were thousands of countries; showing the old ignorance again I suppose.

I know everything about you all. And it is not very pretty.

You see the other nationalities, they are very secure about themselves and they are bloody right about it. So, they don't care what anybody thinks about them. perhaps we should start by not caring about what you think?

Irish friends? No, it does not exist.LOL

No matter what, Paddy, and don't forget it, no amount of money will hide the smell of dung which will always stick to your magnificent boots wherever you'll go. No matter what, Darkie, and don't forget it, no amount of money will hide the smell of bananas which will always stick to your magnificent boots wherever you'll go.

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭nij

Not French IMO.

How could a French woman differentiate the different Irish accents from all the different English accents? Especially when they themselves tend to have such heavy accents while speaking English.

I'd say it's an Irish person, tired of their own countrymen's attitudes and behaviour (or psychologically projecting his/her own insecurities), and armed with nothing but hyperbolic vitriol.

After all, our stupid attitudes are most apparent to US. She has too much "insight" (<-quotes essential) for a non-Irish person. Most people farther than a 3000 mile radius don't even know where or what Ireland is.

• Advertisement

Schuhart wrote: »
    Except she covers that angle when she saysandSo I'd take she's happy enough with her husband. Its more like she's not letting that blind her to what she sees in the rest of the place.

I think the strand of self-delusion she refers to is a feature of Irish life. I like her line don't mix up "patronising you" with "liking you". In fact, I generally like the idea that her letter was actually published.

She's probably happy with her Irish husband, because she has been working on him for 32 years to get rid of his Irish accent, and other assorted "idiosyncrasies".

I bet it's been many a year since he had any shit on his boots, to boot. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Right lads. Let's call it a day. She sure told us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

So yeah, who's on for invading France with me?

show em who's boss and that :D

On a serious note, I love the French. Such a proud proud nation. We could do a lot to learn from them. Great education system, good transport, world class health system, amazing food, lovely wine and a great culture.

She can't really go tarring us all with the same brush. Ah well, c'est la vie ;)

All of the other papers in Ireland give you free dvds, cds and wall-charts. The Indo gives you a free French letter :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The french genearly speaking have always considered themselfs highly superior to to the rest of europe .OP obiously has an axe to grind and makes some valid points but could have have so easly being describing the ' lez roast beef's ' english upon whom they look down their boneparte noses more than any other race.But like the irish and any other race they are made up of different groups and individuals . Tommy english has always being used to this kind of patronising comments coming from franch and french people living in Britain and well able to deal with it .

The allies may have liberated europe from german tyranny ,but it was De Gaulle who stole the limelight after the liberation of paris ,which probably sums up the french mentality more than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

dear god ... I read through the whole letter in the paper and what it makes me want to say is "Troll"
    My origins are in Brittany. Brittany -- where people do not like the Irish. Why? Because you are ignorant. You are the ones who are not interested in other cultures. The Scottish and the Welsh are loved in Brittany, Why? Because they are interested in all those people coming to the festivals from all over the world to introduce us to their culture. But you? Forget it.

My experience in Brittany has been that the Irish are in fact loved. I've been involved in the Galway Lorient twinning in the past and I have to admit it was an amazing experience. I'm also married to a Breton.

BTW Solair you've had some great posts there cheers for some of the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think it's really ironic that people are using generalizations about the French to try and debunk generalizations about the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

French troops arrived in Afghanistan last week, and not a minute too soon. The French are acting as advisers to the Taliban, to teach them how to surrender properly.
    Jay Leno

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hagar wrote: »
    I think it's really ironic that people are using generalizations about the French to try and debunk generalizations about the Irish.

Yes, but eating all those snails, frog legs and horses has probably made you a little confused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me.
    General Patton

Advertisement