Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Intruder Alarm Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

NewRSoul wrote: »
    Hi,

As there seems to be a few knowledgeable people on here - Can the CS-250 and it's on board dialler do SIA signalling into a Monitoring Centre?

I'v read the book I've got (looks really old though) and it looks like you need to blow a chip, but it does look like ContactID or Fast Format only.

Thanks in advance!

Yes the CS250 can use SIA. If your panel is a very old one send me a PM and I can flash it for you. Where abouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

first of all i did'nt say i was having trouble repairing astec panels. i said my heart was broken repairing the worthless piece of crap

Anybody that has trouble removing two screws from a PCB to replace a battery is clearly incompetent and shouldn't be let near anything of an electrical nature never mind an alarm system.
    i seriously doubt you could change your shirt in 1 minute judging by some of the amatuerish comments i have seen your names attached to

Please explain. Any contributions I have made in these forums is in good faith and is from my experience in the industry.
    and thirdly its called dual end of line and it is optional on the HKC panel as is non eol and single eol.

I can assure you I know what it means. When I said "you don't have to Dual the resistors" I shortened the sentence instead of "you don't have to Dual end of line the resistors" Understand now?

before you start pointing people in the direction of astec and aritech, explain to them why most wholesalers dont stock astec and why hkc outsells aritech by such a wide margin.

As koolkid said, most people buy direct from Astec so most wholesalers don't stock them. A good indication of how many systems each manufactures has installed is by their Bell-boxes on houses/businesses. You will find that Astec has a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ferny

Guys, hope someone can help.

I bought a house 12yo approx 3 years ago , it was already fitted with an alarm, The alarm constantly went off so I do not set it anymore. I tightened thealarm covers in the rooms as was told that in hot weather the plastic swells but it didn't fix the problem. I was also told that i could not get anyone to repair it as the engineers code was needed for this - is this true?

Can anyone recommend a fix for this.

Also wanted to get aN SMS alert fitted so that i could be alerted when it does go off - any ideas

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If the system is 12 years old its more than likely some faulty sensors\contacts.
    You can get any company to look at this alarm for you. Any competant engineer would be able to access the system.
    Upgrading the system would enable you to set up text alerts. The new Astec Fusion would be the ideal system here. PM me your details if you would like to get someone to look at it for you

Cheers for that, have PM'd you my details...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Got that. We'll get that sorted for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fold2john

I wont reply to most of the junk you have written. Just 2 things. Firstly, check your standards if you have a copy that is. Non EOL does conform to EN.

Secondly if you are so wise and such a godsend to the industry, why do you have so much time on your hands to spend on message boards???

:D

fold2john wrote: »
    I wont reply to most of the junk you have written.
    Including the question as to whether you are a licenced installer
    check your standards Non EOL does conform to EN.
    I am starting to think you are not even an installer ,full stop.
    Wiring a zone nol eol means, there is a possibility that any inertias on that zone will not work. It also means that a short circut on that zone will leave points of entry unsecured & will go undetected & not register a fault.Kindly explain how you feel that is up to any sort of standard. If you feel that is acceptable then you are also incompetant.
    if you are so wise and such a godsend to the industry, why do you have so much time on your hands to spend on message boards???
    Its called mobile broadband :P . Can you kindly back up that statement
    with how many hours I have spent here this week??

John in the few posts you have made since registering here you have not made one bit of sense. You have shown yourself to have little or no understanding of the industry, little or no understanding of the working of a security system and totally the wrong manner for work within the service industry in general.
    You wish to argue about everything , but when challanged on any point you refuse to reply. Either debate or your point, if you can or go away & leave it to the people who know what they are talking about.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lets keep the sticky clear of flames please lads, it looks like one could start here soon, so please don't let it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 def345

Hi,

I have a aritech cs350.
    The battery was low, and I didn't replace it, and when I did there was a fuse problem. End result, now the keypads are not showing anything. No power light or display although they're showing 12V using a multimeter.
    I'm pretty sure I've fried the panel, so was thinking of replacing it, but using the current sensors and bell and wiring.
    I was wondering if anyone knows which panel would be compatible,
    I'm thinking of either

a) Aritech CS250M Control Panel
    b) HKC SW812 Secure Watch Panel

Obviously I'll be more careful installing this one ;)

Thanks for any help,

Def

• Advertisement

Either will do but more up to date systems would be The Astec Fusion & The Europlex Signet. The fusion also has the option of Text dialling & is much more flexible & future proof.
    On the higher end of the Signet panel you have the option of IP connection to give you access from any web browser or your mobile.
    The HKC is very dated & this stage & you are really just replacing like with like. Its a bit like replacing an old mobile phone & getting no new features.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 def345

Thanks Koolkid,
    Do you know how much more the Astec Fusion/Europlex Signet costs approx?
    I'd never really considered extra features, but I can see how they might be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

koolkid wrote: »
    Either will do but more up to date systems would be The Astec Fusion & The Europlex Signet. The fusion also has the option of Text dialling & is much more flexible & future proof.
    On the higher end of the Signet panel you have the option of IP connection to give you access from any web browser or your mobile.
    The HKC is very dated & this stage & you are really just replacing like with like. Its a bit like replacing an old mobile phone & getting no new features.

I have to disagree. The HKC panel 8/12 is alot easier to install. You can also get a Text dialler to i think its cheaper to but could be wrong.

Wiring a zone nol eol means, there is a possibility that any inertias on that zone will not work. It also means that a short circut on that zone will leave points of entry unsecured & will go undetected & not register a fault.

Having a zone in NOL has no bearing what so ever on inertia sensors not working.

Wiring in dual end of line has more chance of false activation due to crosstalk on the line , Mains or Data chatter.

Most panel work on a 5v alarm loop. 0v closed - 5 volts open in NOL

In Dol the zones closed voltage is 2.5v due to the 4k7 resistor.
    this voltage can in crease due to cross talk and faulse actviate.

Cadzer wrote: »
    Having a zone in NOL has no bearing what so ever on inertia sensors not working.
    I hope you havn,t installed any CS250s with inertias so!!!
    You never mentiond about a fault due to a short going unnoticed :confused:

Anyway as Stoner requested lets keep the stickey clear.
    If you wish to debate your logic for not using resistors I'd be delighted to hear the reasoning in a new thread.

Installation wise its pretty much the same as any other panel.
    Text dialler is available for the HKC the same as the Fusion, you do not get it free.
    The Fusion has much more features for the same price & its more flexible for future upgrades etc.
    I'm not saying the HKC is not a good panel, just its a bit dated & you can get more features for the same price.

Delly can we move this to electrical?

Installation wise its pretty much the same as any other panel.
    Text dialler is available for the HKC the same as the Fusion, you do not get it free.
    The Fusion has much more features for the same price & its more flexible for future upgrades etc.
    I'm not saying the HKC is not a good panel, just its a bit dated & you can get more features for the same price.

Delly can we move this to electrical?

I have never used the Fusion panel what featurres does this panel have that the HKC doesnt?

Amount of Zones , Point ID etc? Voice dialler? No of keypads etc?

Expandable to 80 zones at the moment
    Plus
    1 interface card gives up to 30 2 wire PiRs
    Global or Astec 2 wire bells
    Global or Astec 2 wire zones
    Text & Central Station Reporting
    Upload/Download
    Direct connect to PC
    Real time resistence display for all zones
    4 Line RKP Display
    4 User programmable quick set/navigational keys.
    IP Access on the way
    I could go on but why not get yourself a panel to work on & see for yourself or maybe go along to one of thier training sessions.

foxirl wrote: »
    koolkid has been a great help to me so far. Thanks for the Astec number

I called then and they pointed me to a place in limerick that sells their stuff.

Got quoted 245 ex vat for a 63DV or a 43DV panel with keypad and internal and external sounders so that seems quite good. I know the sensors and PIRs will add more on but still quite a savings

This seems to be a wired system though.Does anyone know if you can add card to it so it can interact with wireless PIRs or do Astec do a a seperate Wireless system.

Astec do not do any wireless equipment at the moment, but you can add global wireless devices using the Aritech Quick Bridge reciever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jamesbond

upgrade to a hkc pan el with the bell and fit a couple of motion sensors tou can put a gsm onboard and not use the phoneline at all,
    mon 180 per year to phonewatch

hope this helps:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dcom

Make sure you get a system that has a voice dialler rather than a texting system.

We had the text system set up fora while but the problem we found was that it sent texts to all the numbers we had listed as contacts when the alarm was activated.

Then it would send them all another text to say what zone and again when the alarm was re-set.

We had 5 contact numbers so basically it sent 15 texts every time we had an activation and it was costing a fortune.

In my opinion the voice dialler is much better and more economical because it rings the lited numbers until somebody answers, so only costs the price of one call...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

upgrade to a hkc pan el with the bell
    Yes the HKC is a good system and an external bellbox makes the system much more secure. Many alarms are installed without this and I feel this is often a mistake.
    can put a gsm onboard
    +1. They are getting cheaper all the time and are very simple to install.
    Make sure you get a system that has a voice dialler rather than a texting system.
    + 1. Although your alarm should not be activating often!

jamesbond wrote: »
    upgrade to a hkc pan el with the bell and fit a couple of motion sensors tou can put a gsm onboard and not use the phoneline at all,
    mon 180 per year to phonewatch

hope this helps:o

A better option than HKC would be the Astec Fusion or The Europlex Fusion. Monitoring could be done for a lot less than €180 per year using a voice or text dialler

Koolkid... thanks a million for calling out.... alarm working like a dream since you worked on it... really appreciate it and great value too.. will definitely recommend you to anyone i know.. Cheers

Your welcome., Anytime ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mark2009

Hi,

My alarm says "14 Call Engineer". What does that mean?? How do I fix it??

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Call 14 engineers?

Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mark2009

:D:D

What make of alarm do you have?
    It sounds like the panel is due a service and the installer put in a message!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

A quick search found this:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement