Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Product Recall - Remington 700 model rifles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

What if your dealer is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Chiparus wrote: »
    What if your dealer is gone?

In that case, locate and go to your nearest current Remington dealer.

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Then go to another dealer. Or main distributor named above.

As it's a recall it's not a simple issue an individual has with their gun. Like a car. If it's recalled then you can go to any dealership as they must honour the manufacturers wishes.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

The recall for the remington 597 the company offered only a percentage of what the gun cost.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/safety-center/safety-warning-recall-notice.aspx

UPDATE - I've just received an email from Riflecraft UK, and as a result, I called them back.

1. They are aware of large market for Remington products in the RoI, in particular the affected centre-fire rifles.

2. They are finalising details of the ways and means of getting your rifles over here to Norwich for the remdial work to be carried out.

3. There will be NO CHARGE for this work.

As I get an update, so I'll post it here, or let Cass know.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭leica

hi lads , it seems that remington are recalling model 700 rifles that were made between 2006 and 2014, i just entered the seiral no on my 700 onto their website and it turns out that my rifle is one of these affected , they want me to send it back to them to have the trigger replaced totally at their cost , this happen to anyone else ? any advice would be great , kind regards leica,

Moved your thread to an existing one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Has anyone had any recall work done yet or had any contact from Remington to advise about it ?

Getting a bit close to the season now the way these things go it's probably going to mean it being sent away and not getting it back ion time.

This is from www.airgunbbs.com yesterday - I've missed out the comment at the end, since it only applies to customers in UK -

Quote - HERE is an update !

The Triggers are still in the US ! Riflecraft have over 350 with them and a list of other rifles to do.

I was advised yesterday my Rifle is in the loop and will be sent for in approx. 10 WEEKS That is sent for NOT retuned !!!!!

All of the owners who have sent Rifles for repair or are on the Riflecraft list MUST contact SMK and Remington to explain how unacceptable this situation is !!

tac

Having spoken to friends over the water, I'm left with the impression that the hunting season will be well over by the time this problem gets fixed.

Of course, here in Europe we don't have the luxuries of bow and BP hunting seasons to extend our sport.

tac

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    Having spoken to friends over the water, I'm left with the impression that the hunting season will be well over by the time this problem gets fixed.

Of course, here in Europe we don't have the luxuries of bow and BP hunting seasons to extend our sport.

tac

Might I be as well off getting the trigger replaced by a gunsmith so ?

Might I be as well off getting the trigger replaced by a gunsmith so ?
    As above:
    Cass wrote: »
    If you have an aftermarket trigger then "tough" i think is the answer, and if you are not prepared to send the entire rifle to whatever destination them name then nothing else will suffice. IOW my idea of sending the trigger only is a no-go.
    If you have a replacement trigger or get one done yourself then the warranty is void.

I continued to try and get an answer for a short while after my initial posts above but kept on getting the standard replies so stopped. Like the rest of ye i'm waiting on word but as i replaced the trigger immediately after getting the rifle my warranty is already void and frankly i'm not concerned whether i get word or not.

The Rifle Basix trigger i have is way better than the factory fitted one and even if they replaced it with another factory trigger the Rifle basix would be staying in the rifle.

Cass, they will only carry out work on untouched-from-factory products. I've not seen inside our two club rifles that are to be returned, but I suspect that there are dobs of paint on certain screws that would show 'tampering' by the owners.

I'm assuming that Remington do the same as most other American makers - it's a matter of the 'litigation world' that the USA inhabits...

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Cass, they will only carry out work on untouched-from-factory products.
    That's what i said in my post above and my previous posts from replies i did receive:
    If you have a replacement trigger or get one done yourself then the warranty is void.

Just emphasizing the comment.

Replacing the trigger with a Jewel or Timney would be our next move with our club guns if the waiting time gets extended longer - a likelihood IMO. Both of these are available instantly here, as I guess they might be in the RoI.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭xchrisshana

I emailed Remington and ask them can I just send back my xpro trigger and they said yes but all they will do is clean it and reoil it they will not testfire it. they are sending me out a prepayed envelop they would not give me a time scale :\

That's more than i got. I was told the entire rifle had to go back. Maybe they got side tracked by the fact i had replaced the trigger which shouldn't matter.

Let hs know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭xchrisshana

This is the email Remington Support
    Service Ticket Response

Please send your physical address, phone number and serial number and we will email you the Service Request and mailing label. You can ship the trigger in a small box or padded envelope. Keep in mind the trigger will NOT be test fired. You will receive a letter stating that the trigger was cleaned and inspected, but not tested.

I got the same e-mail but it stated i had to send of the entire rifle. Must lash off another mail.

Received an e-mail from Remington this morning. It was directions, and a receipt number, to send an e-mail to Gowan & Bradshaw in Galway with the details of my gun. So i've lashed off the e-mail and am awaiting a response.

Will let you know how i get on.

• Advertisement

I contacted them with regards to the last remington recall, they told me it was an issue with the dealer , not them.

Don't know what to tell ya. This is the e-mail/instructions i got from Remington so i'm going to follow it. Hard enough to gte an answer from them so i'm not going to ignore the one i do get.

I've tried to deal with G&B before. From my last dealing, or subsequent lack thereof, i was left unimpressed. So not expecting much, but we'll see.

Don't know what to tell ya. This is the e-mail/instructions i got from Remington so i'm going to follow it. Hard enough to gte an answer from them so i'm not going to ignore the one i do get.

I've tried to deal with G&B before. From my last dealing, or subsequent lack thereof, i was left unimpressed. So not expecting much, but we'll see.

Right,

I rang my rfd today to ask him about it and he was in touch with G&B. He said to me that the recall was a voluntary one , in that it was up to the owner to decide to send it back if they had an issue with the firearm. This seems at odds with what the Remington site says which states that it is a safety issue does it not ?

Anyway the rfd also said that g&b would just send a replacement trigger and the firearm would not need to be sent at all.

Thus is very confusing, and a little worrying with so much disinformation about the issue.

I wonder would it be worth getting in contact with one of the shooting organizations to get then to get an official statement from Remington and G&b. Is this a safety recall or not would be the first questii that needs to be answered.

I rang my rfd today to ask him about it and he was in touch with G&B. He said to me that the recall was a voluntary one , in that it was up to the owner to decide to send it back if they had an issue with the firearm. This seems at odds with what the Remington site says which states that it is a safety issue does it not ?
    No offence to your RFD and definitely no offence to you, but a "voluntary recall". If ever there were an oxymoron that'd be it.

A recall is something issued by a manufacturer because a product is faulty to the extent that to leave it unfixed would lead to serious lawsuits. It'd be the same as Toyota saying they are recalling 1 million cars for a faulty airbag, but it's voluntary and if you're not bothered about staying breathing then don't worry.

I also hate to say it, but a touch of "sure it'll be grand" seems to be creeping into this too. Yes the chances of a catastrophic failure are low, possibly in the 1% mark, but when dealing with guns do you want to be that 1%?
    Anyway the rfd also said that g&b would just send a replacement trigger and the firearm would not need to be sent at all.
    That'd would be okay, but if it's the case i'd be surprised as it still leaves Remington vunerable. Who is to say the person installs the new trigger properly? I know i'm reaching but when you consider people have sued car companies because the cruise control on their car did not drive it fully, and won, it makes you wonder why they would leave everything so "haphazard".
    Thus is very confusing, and a little worrying with so much disinformation about the issue.
    Absolutely. Seems the further you are from the States the less interest there is in doing it right.
    I wonder would it be worth getting in contact with one of the shooting organizations to get then to get an official statement from Remington and G&b. Is this a safety recall or not would be the first questii that needs to be answered.
    I don't think that is necessary just yet. Granted the responses have not been numerous or helpful, but i'm sending off an e-mail of a slightly more "urgent" tone. Highlighting the faults, lack of information, misinformation, ignorance and general lack of clarity in the whole situation. See if it gets a response worthy to post here.

No offence to your RFD and definitely no offence to you, but a "voluntary recall". If ever there were an oxymoron that'd be it.

A recall is something issued by a manufacturer because a product is faulty to the extent that to leave it unfixed would lead to serious lawsuits. It'd be the same as Toyota saying they are recalling 1 million cars for a faulty airbag, but it's voluntary and if you're not bothered about staying breathing then don't worry.

I also hate to say it, but a touch of "sure it'll be grand" seems to be creeping into this too. Yes the chances of a catastrophic failure are low, possibly in the 1% mark, but when dealing with guns do you want to be that 1%?

That'd would be okay, but if it's the case i'd be surprised as it still leaves Remington vunerable. Who is to say the person installs the new trigger properly? I know i'm reaching but when you consider people have sued car companies because the cruise control on their car did not drive it fully, and won, it makes you wonder why they would leave everything so "haphazard".

Absolutely. Seems the further you are from the States the less interest there is in doing it right.

I don't think that is necessary just yet. Granted the responses have not been numerous or helpful, but i'm sending off an e-mail of a slightly more "urgent" tone. Highlighting the faults, lack of information, misinformation, ignorance and general lack of clarity in the whole situation. See if it gets a response worthy to post here.

Agree, I mean a quick glance at the Remington recall notice on their website really leaves no question of doubt.

I have only one deer caliber firearm, and it's starting to look like I won't be able to use it for the season the way this is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Just scanning the thread here and wondered how ye were getting on, have ye got your rifles back or any updates??

None, and nothing.

Meaning i've gotten no more replies from anyone, no updates, nothing. They refuse to answer, pass the buck to their local rep, and then they don't answer. Piss poor service from a company that is more concerned with appearing to be acting than customer service and only if you live in the CONUS.

None, and nothing.

Meaning i've gotten no more replies from anyone, no updates, nothing. They refuse to answer, pass the buck to their local rep, and then they don't answer. Piss poor service from a company that is more concerned with appearing to be acting than customer service and only if you live in the CONUS.

PISS poor, I'd be advising anyone looking to buy one of their products to give them a wide berth if that's how they react when things go wrong. Basically looks like they warned you your trigger may be defective thereby negating their responsibility, but it's up to you to move heaven and earth to rectify the issue, i.e. get them to repair it.

That's simply not going to happen as they are among the biggest manufacturer in the world and their popularity is also well deserved. I currently have two of their rifles and had them in past and frankly this would not deter me form buying and did not as my newest rifle was only bought 2 months ago, well after this happened.

I wouldn't and will not let it deter me, but i am disappointed at the service or lack thereof. I understand as one of the biggest they have a multitude of issues to deal with, but it's the lack of information that bothers me most. IOW no replies, and when you "torment" them with e-mails, etc. they simply say "here, contact these people". Then their assigned point off contact doesn't answer, reply or make the service any better.

It's annoyance more than loss of faith in the product.

• Advertisement

That's simply not going to happen as they are among the biggest manufacturer in the world and their popularity is also well deserved. I currently have two of their rifles and had them in past and frankly this would not deter me form buying and did not as my newest rifle was only bought 2 months ago, well after this happened.

I wouldn't and will not let it deter me, but i am disappointed at the service or lack thereof. I understand as one of the biggest they have a multitude of issues to deal with, but it's the lack of information that bothers me most. IOW no replies, and when you "torment" them with e-mails, etc. they simply say "here, contact these people". Then their assigned point off contact doesn't answer, reply or make the service any better.

It's annoyance more than loss of faith in the product.

You are a more forgiving and patient man than I.

Advertisement