Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheapest place to buy Windows 7

• 09-04-2014 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Presently running XP , so need to upgrade .

Anyone know where best buy is online or in store ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Very difficult to source either in store or online, as far as I know. Very difficult to know if purchasing a legitimate version, if purchased online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Microsoft are trying to force people to Windows 8, so it's not easy.

In the past I got cheaper (legitimate) copies of Windows from here

Software4Students.ie

They offer discounts to students and families with students.
    The cheapests Windows 8 install looks like €99.95

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is your PC a Dell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

degsie wrote: »

How legit are those keys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Nforce wrote: »
    How legit are those keys?

they are pirated keys from the TechNet subscription.

more info

http://www.zdnet.com/to-fight-piracy-microsoft-tightens-msdn-and-technet-terms-again-7000000131/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I done a MS compatibility test and turns out the ''platform is not supported '' for win 8 .

Win8 is 119e in PC WOrld / HN

I cannot check whether my PC is compatible for Win 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Why would you bother upgrading. I've never installed xp upgrades/service packs and i've never had malware or virus issues. Just keep the free version of Avast going on your machine and all should be fine. It's a bit like changing ur toaster because the toaster isn't going to be made anymore. It's a nonsense, Microsoft needs more money, simple as that.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2103680/chinas-windows-xp-users-to-still-get-security-support.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some of my machines at work fail the win8 test but they are old, almost 8~10yrs old.

Win7 32bit works, but they are still very slow. They are just old.

119 is like 25~33% of a new computer. I wouldn't pay that.

Its like Microsoft are running an advertisement for Linux their prices are so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

beauf wrote: »
    Some of my machines at work fail the win8 test but they are old, almost 8~10yrs old.

Win7 32bit works, but they are still very slow. They are just old.

119 is like 25~33% of a new computer. I wouldn't pay that.

Its like Microsoft are running an advertisement for Linux their prices are so high.

My pc is an Intel Pentium 4 with 3GB ram - would like to keep it longer.

I'm just dowloading avast now , as MSE is not supporting anymore .

• Advertisement

I think you'd be far better off buying a used core2duo computer that has a oem win7 licence for 50~100. Theres a world of a difference in performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Windows 8 runs better than 7 on older hardware to be honest.

Yes but it works much better on true dual core as its more mutli-threaded.

A P4 is single core, and even the Pentium D are very slow. Even dual Xeons of that era are now very slow machine. I use them as test machines at work and they really crawl. Even with Windows 7.

I doubt many of them will support Windows 8. Any of the ones I've tried are missing eXecute Disable (XD) bit feature.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn482072.aspx

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

bmm wrote: »
    Why would you bother upgrading. I've never installed xp upgrades/service packs and i've never had malware or virus issues. Just keep the free version of Avast going on your machine and all should be fine. It's a bit like changing ur toaster because the toaster isn't going to be made anymore. It's a nonsense, Microsoft needs more money, simple as that.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2103680/chinas-windows-xp-users-to-still-get-security-support.html

Because the likelihood of serious system exploits being opened up are far greater, particularly as attackers will know all XP users will be at the same level. Your system could potentially be attacked without even browsing the internet or checking emails!
    There was a serious RDP flaw affecting XP/Server 2003 and some others which resulted in the cryptolocker virus infecting servers and desktop pcs not that long ago..
    Your really better off upgrading Windows or if you don't want to pay go the Linux route.
    Anti virus software or alternative browsers, running the system as a standard user is just making yourself believe a false sense of security.
    Corporate users are paying a substantial amount of money to receive extended support from Microsoft for these reasons. Home users cannot avail of this.

Nick

XP was insecure even before this. I'd bet most people running it haven't up to date patches or AV and security.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Got a copy from ze 'German ' ebay ..about 35 euro. All checked out I even had to ring microsoft to activate ...This is the guy I bought off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291122455623

Personally I'd just stick Linux mint on for free and be done with it !!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

a clanger wrote: »
    Got a copy from ze 'German ' ebay ..about 35 euro. All checked out I even had to ring microsoft to activate ...This is the guy I bought off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291122455623

Personally I'd just stick Linux mint on for free and be done with it !!!!

I'm not sure of the legitimacy of that though for installs on computers it didn't come with. The CD clearly is from a computer that already had Windows 7 on it from the factory.

Advertisement