Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Can't see Longford beating Cavan tbh... at this stage, I'd be absolutely shocked if ye didn't meet in the final. The game in the league stage will be an interesting warm-up.

Cavan have a very strong defence, ye have an excellent attack... Cavan's attack has misfired a bit, generally relying on one or two players, but never all at the same time... while ye're defence was opened up a few times against us; and then conceded 4 goals against Fermanagh. Should be a very interesting game.

I presume it won't be on tv, which is a pity, because I'm sure it'll be an excellent game.

Is this the league final you're talking about? Because I'm fairly sure they're televised on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Is this the league final you're talking about? Because I'm fairly sure they're televised on TG4.

No, I'm talking about the match in a couple of weeks. I know the final will be on there, but I'm not looking that far ahead, as I still have the forlorn hope that Limerick will somehow get there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

megadodge wrote: »
    In all fairness, I've been hearing this type of language along with words like 'embarrassment' and 'eyesore' in the last few years and I'm quite puzzled. I've been to numerous games there in the same time and I'd like to hear what's so bad about it?

Genuine question, not sniping at anyone.

only just seeing this message now ,looks like its been answered by a few posters.
    The ground needs an overhaul,the cement seating should have been removed when they built the new stand and the terracing needs to be fixed up as well and could do with more of a roof .
    It will be interesting to see what the plans are for the ground.

Any of ye ever hear that the pitch was supposed to be going the other direction in the original plans but wasn't done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Fireball07 wrote: »
    No, I'm talking about the match in a couple of weeks. I know the final will be on there, but I'm not looking that far ahead, as I still have the forlorn hope that Limerick will somehow get there :D

If Cavan and Roscommon win their next game, they both could be guaranteed promotion depending on how other results go.

They both have eight points so another win will put both on 10 with two games left and only Longford, Limerick and Sligo have a chance of being within 4 points of them. Cavan would have beaten Sligo and Longford in the head to head so neither of those could finish above them.

I'd expect that if that is the case you could see experimental sides from both in that game in Breffni. Both have young panel members and also won't want to show their hand until the Division 3 final itself.

I certainly know members of the Cavan panel were told they'd be given a chance if things were going well. That said, our next game is very much a tough away game against Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

Syferus wrote: »
    Donie's just as talented as Diarmuid. Two exceptional young FFs. Donie dominated the AI-winning Galway U21s last year and was our top scorer in the league, injury shouldn't allow us to forget how good he is for an underage lad.

His talent has never been in question.
    It's his temperment that's the problem.
    It's funny you used that particular match to highlight his talent, because the same match showed his temperment to be highly suspect. It's no exaggeration to say his totally needless sending off could have cost Roscommon an All-Ireland.
    There are other examples but I don't want to be too harsh on him as he's still very young and hopefully will learn from his 'mistakes'.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    only just seeing this message now ,looks like its been answered by a few posters.
    The ground needs an overhaul,the cement seating should have been removed when they built the new stand and the terracing needs to be fixed up as well and could do with more of a roof .
    It will be interesting to see what the plans are for the ground.

Any of ye ever hear that the pitch was supposed to be going the other direction in the original plans but wasn't done.

What's wrong with the terracing?

As for the pitch direction, the 40k all-seater, the 'Berlin' type wall to be built between the pitch and the training pitch, yadda, yadda, yadda.....
    The rumour mill is in full swing at the moment. It's better to completely ignore everything you hear and just wait and see.

What's wrong with the terracing?

As for the pitch direction, the 40k all-seater, the 'Berlin' type wall to be built between the pitch and the training pitch, yadda, yadda, yadda.....
    The rumour mill is in full swing at the moment. It's better to completely ignore everything you hear and just wait and see.

A better roof on the terracing would be a brilliant addition but I doubt that will happen as it would be a huge cost.very open to the elements the way it is now.

When I asked about the pitch direction,its not a rumor about the upgrading now but it was supposed to be in the original plans for the Hyde when it was planned in the 60's.Just wondering did anyone else here this and I wonder why it wasn't done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

A better roof on the terracing would be a brilliant addition but I doubt that will happen as it would be a huge cost.very open to the elements the way it is now.

When I asked about the pitch direction,its not a rumor about the upgrading now but it was supposed to be in the original plans for the Hyde when it was planned in the 60's.Just wondering did anyone else here this and I wonder why it wasn't done.

A better roof? If they're getting rid of the stone seating and moving the pitch in there will need to be a new stand the other side because what's there will be too far away from the new pitch. Forget about a new roof costing a lot, the Hyde is shutting down for 18 months so genuinely major work is the least of the expectations.

Where are the County Board going to get the funding from? Is it all from croke park?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

So what are these rumours? Can we expect major redevelopment leaving us with a facility to match the likes of Portlaoise or Tullamore or am I dreaming? There's nothing wrong with the terracing on the training pitch side and the stand opposite was redeveloped not long ago. This would lead me to believe that they'll both be left as is. Something should be done about that gammy cement seating below that though. Hope they don't rub their arses over it.

• Advertisement

U21 championship throws in tomorrow in Castlebar. 7:30pm.

Nothing quite like a knock-out championship game to stir the blood. There aren't many sweeter places to take a victory from for Roscommon teams.

Should be a tight match and whoever wins should be able to win Connacht, Galway or no Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Nothing quite like a knock-out championship game to stir the blood. There aren't many sweeter places to take a victory from for Roscommon teams.
    U
    Should be a tight match and whoever wins should be able to win Connacht, Galway or no Galway.[/quote

I heard they have a heap of their last year miner team so they should be too light for us I think, should be a mighty game tough

Pity its not on the telly, should be good, theyll probably have a heap of last years miners but would expecting a win any way,

U
    Should be a tight match and whoever wins should be able to win Connacht, Galway or no Galway.[/quote

I heard they have a heap of their last year miner team so they should be too light for us I think, should be a mighty game tough

Pity its not on the telly, should be good, theyll probably have a heap of last years miners but would expecting a win any way,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Should be a tight match and whoever wins should be able to win Connacht, Galway or no Galway.

Galway still the team to beat. Great draw for them and they will hoping Ross win tomoro night as that will give them a home Connacht final.

Galway still the team to beat. Great draw for them and they will hoping Ross win tomoro night as that will give them a home Connacht final.

They'd want to look at Roscommon's record in Tuam before they starting wishing for us.

You're some man for one man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭blowitupref

They'd want to look at Roscommon's record in Tuam before they starting wishing for us.

I think Galway play home provincial finals in Pearse stadium now.

The County Board definitely have taken the finger out. The old dance hall on the racecourse rd.is fully kitted out as a gym and a bus is waiting to be collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Edward9

UP Galway

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH I enjoyed that!!

Thank you U21s.

All those years coming out of Castlebar having taking a hiding. This time I strolled out at my leisure. Great win.

Some excellent performances, but yet again Diarmuid Murtagh stole the show. Pure class. Get the ball to this lad (and he's always showing for it) and he'll score.

Roscommon were by far the better team in all sectors and the only reason it was close early on was because of silly mistakes (picks of the ground, fumbled handpasses, etc.) which in fairness to Mayo, they turned into scores. But Ros always looked much the stronger outfit.

Donie Smith (who was supposed to be injured) played the full game with mixed fortunes. Lost an awful lot of possesion early on (looked rusty), but took his goal brilliantly (nice peno also). I think the game will stand to him. Enda was outstanding all through. Seriously strong and controlled on the ball. Ultan Harney came on near the end, even though the word was that he had a longterm injury. Got a lovely point too. Fintan Kelly very solid at centre back.

Tom Corcoran played very well at midfield, although he did hold the ball up a few times which resulted in him losing possesion, but he seems to have added some physicality to his game. On his freetaking though, I'm afraid something serious needs to be done. As my buddy said beforehand, and was proven today, his runup is far too straight and as a result his shots tail off to the left, including an unforgivable missed 13m free. It cost us last year and it could be crucial yet if not addressed.

Overall though, I'm a happy man. Up the Rossies!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Tom Corcoran played very well at midfield, although he did hold the ball up a few times which resulted in him losing possesion, but he seems to have added some physicality to his game. On his freetaking though, I'm afraid something serious needs to be done. As my buddy said beforehand, and was proven today, his runup is far too straight and as a result his shots tail off to the left, including an unforgivable missed 13m free. It cost us last year and it could be crucial yet if not addressed.

he was a superb free taker at minor level so what happened? this is a guy who at 17 scored two 45 metre placed balls in croke park to draw roscommon level and then win them the game against armagh.

the game tonight reminded me of when we as minor champions took on mayo under 21s in the spring of 2007 and we threw in too many of that minor team against an experienced mayo outfit and got ate.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    he was a superb free taker at minor level so what happened? this is a guy who at 17 scored two 45 metre placed balls in croke park to draw roscommon level and then win them the game against armagh.

the game tonight reminded me of when we as minor champions took on mayo under 21s in the spring of 2007 and we threw in too many of that minor team against an experienced mayo outfit and got ate.

That's what I can't understand. Those kicks that day v Armagh were magnificent esp considering the pressure he was under. He hasn't kicked like that since though. His general play has improved but the frees are now a serious problem. He seems to have no confidence in them.

I don't remember Mayo "ating" us that year. Beat us all right, but no hammering.

I don't remember Mayo "ating" us that year. Beat us all right, but no hammering.

http://roscommonpeople.com/itemdetail.asp?itemID=472

rossie1977 wrote: »

That game seems to have completely evaded my memory banks. Not surprising maybe seeing the result.

Anyway, tonight is about Roscommon.

Roscommon 4-10 Mayo 1-08. At McHale. Lovely.

Sligo next. Some confusion about the venue. it should be a home game for Sligo but do they have any venue with floodlights that can hold a crowd? Could end up being Kiltoom like the announcer at the game said.

Roscommon 4-10 Mayo 1-08. At McHale. Lovely.

Sligo next. Some confusion about the venue. it should be a home game for Sligo but do they have any venue with floodlights that can hold a crowd? Could end up being Kiltoom like the announcer at the game said.

roscommon played mayo last year at night in kiltoom so i see no reason why it shouldn't be there

official twitter page says game has been moved to sligo :(https://twitter.com/gaaroscommon

Mighty stuff form the u21 s last night, serious quality of young fellas in ros at the moment, is their any county what has better coming through. Murtagh looks like a star. I think we out numbered the mayos 2 to 1, great support, any time we beat the mayos feels like weve won the all ireland specially when we beat them there, the future looks bright

Roscommon Gaels signed the agreement with the County Board at an EGM Thursday night.

Roscommon Gaels signed the agreement with the County Board at an EGM Thursday night.

Any idea what the agreement was? Will the Gaels get to keep using the Hyde etc ?

Any idea what the agreement was? Will the Gaels get to keep using the Hyde etc ?

I'm not sure what exactly was in it, but I can't see the Gaels agreeing to anything that excluded them completely. And rightly so too.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what exactly was in it, but I can't see the Gaels agreeing to anything that excluded them completely. And rightly so too.

Sure every club gets a run out in the Hyde for all sorts of games. Or they did before the ownership mess made it a delapidates mess. I'm sure Ros Gaels are no paupers now that this excruciating nightmare is over. They have a very fine new club ground in Lisnamut before we even get to the particulars of the hand-over.

Looks like tomorrow's game is staying in the Hyde, unforuntately.

Advertisement