Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mobile Phone Returns Issue

Options
  • 07-07-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭

Hi my brother recently bought a phone from a mobile phone shop which is independently owned but is Vodafone branded/franchised. He was not entirely satisfied with it and returned to the shop within a few days to exchange it (not return and get his money back) for another but was told that since he had made a test call on it to his house phone that it was classified as used and could not be returned.

Is this completely legal? I know it's lousy customer relations but is there anything actually stopping them from taking this stance?

I would have thought that surely since the phone can be factory reset and any information like call history subsequently deleted that there would certainly be no problem with an exchange never mind a full return.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

If there's nothing wrong with it they dont have to take it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

It would actually be illegal for the shop to resell the phone as new. Although this is tollerated by many - especially in drapery - it's technically not on.

When it comes to phones and electronics I don't think there are many of us that would take a box with the seal broken as new. A restocking fee might be a suggestion. Perhaps offer to take 85% of the handset value in exchange for a new one.

Advertisement