Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do I need a receipt/

• 05-07-2012 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I purchased a few items from a particular retailer

One item didnt last the duration of the warranty, the other didn't work out of the box (also the instructions were missing, so Im suspicious it was opened and resealed).

Basically the first device worked initially and for a few years (but still under the warranty) but recently it stopped working. I thought not much more of it and was going to throw it out/recycle it.

The next item I purchased in the last six or so months give or take a month or two, When I saw it, I knew I didnt need it for a while but bought it to put aside for later when I would. When I opened the box few days ago, it did not have any printed instructions which was unusual but it had a sticky sealed tab so I assumed it was unopened when I bought it.
    Basically it operated intermittantly ultimately failing to work and I just couldnt waste anymore time with it so decided to return it to the store.

As I did could not find the receipt but it is clearly their product, they insisted I go the their customer service dept, who in turn passed me to the service agent, who are also insisting that I need the receipt.

I was only going to return the second item but as they are being sticky about it, I am returning both now as they seem to be failing to honour their claimed warranty.

I was sure i do not need a receipt to allow my rights for refund/repair to be operable (especially as the product is clearly theirs)
    Also I do not believe my contract is with the service agent and no longer wish to deal with them but directly with the retailer I purchased it off.

Do I absolutely need a receipt??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shmark

This retailer does not sound very efficient and reliable with the products that it has been selling you. For pretty much all returns / warranty claims etc, you do need roof of purchase so yes, you do need a receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Merch wrote: »
    I purchased a few items from a particular retailer

One item didnt last the duration of the warranty, the other didn't work out of the box (also the instructions were missing, so Im suspicious it was opened and resealed).

Basically the first device worked initially and for a few years (but still under the warranty) but recently it stopped working. I thought not much more of it and was going to throw it out/recycle it.

The next item I purchased in the last six or so months give or take a month or two, When I saw it, I knew I didnt need it for a while but bought it to put aside for later when I would. When I opened the box few days ago, it did not have any printed instructions which was unusual but it had a sticky sealed tab so I assumed it was unopened when I bought it.
    Basically it operated intermittantly ultimately failing to work and I just couldnt waste anymore time with it so decided to return it to the store.

As I did could not find the receipt but it is clearly their product, they insisted I go the their customer service dept, who in turn passed me to the service agent, who are also insisting that I need the receipt.

I was only going to return the second item but as they are being sticky about it, I am returning both now as they seem to be failing to honour their claimed warranty.

I was sure i do not need a receipt to allow my rights for refund/repair to be operable (especially as the product is clearly theirs)
    Also I do not believe my contract is with the service agent and no longer wish to deal with them but directly with the retailer I purchased it off.

Do I absolutely need a receipt??
    What you need to prove is that you have a contract with the retailer, the accepted way to prove this is to provide a proof of purchase which can be a receipt or any credit card receipt or statement which shows you bought the item on the date of purchase.

The retailer can ignore you till hell freezes without a proof of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Hmm does anyone have any links to this requirement for a receipt??
    I'm sure I have both somewhere, but finding them is the hard part (i dont actually throw receipts away, just need to file them a bit better).

If I do need one, then fair enough, I will turn the place upside down to find it.
    I will dig out every other receipt from them too, even if that specific one doesnt turn up, but

the product is clearly theirs, no one else sells this brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hmm does anyone have any links to this requirement for a receipt??
    I'm sure I have both somewhere, but finding them is the hard part (i dont actually throw receipts away, just need to file them a bit better).

If I do need one, then fair enough, I will turn the place upside down to find it.
    I will dig out every other receipt from them too, even if that specific one doesnt turn up, but

the product is clearly theirs, no one else sells this brand.
    It is basic stuff, you say you bought the item from retailer A and they say prove it! They are not obliged to do anything for you without proof that a contract exists between ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

If things go wrong

If you have a problem with an item that you have bought it is always the seller who should put things right. As a general rule, the seller can either repair or replace the item. Alternatively, they can refund the costs of the item or service to the consumer.
    If you are not satisfied with the quality of goods or services you can:
    • Return the goods to the supplier who sold it to you (you should not return the goods to the manufacturer)
    • Act as soon as you can – a delay can indicate that you have accepted faulty goods or services
    • Do not attempt to repair the item yourself or give it to anyone else to repair it
    • Make sure that you have a proof of purchase (a receipt, cheque stub, credit card statement or invoice)
    You have no grounds for redress if
    • You were told about the defect before you bought the item (for example, if the goods were marked 'shopsoiled')
    • You examined the item before you bought it and should have seen the defect
    • You bought the item knowing that it wasn’t fit for what you wanted it to do
    • You broke or damaged the product
    • You made a mistake when buying the item (for example, if you bought an item of clothing thinking it was black when it is actually navy)
    • You change your mind
    Retailers are not obliged to give refunds or credit notes under the above circumstances even if you show proof of purchase.

• Advertisement

I'm going to turn this place upside down to find this receipt, if I dont find it I, I'm certain loads of other receipts for products will turn up from them, I'll see if they will do it as a goodwill gesture.

I'm definitely going to keep a better file of all my receipts, usually I keep everything but it is the expensive stuff i make a point of putting away safe, other stuff is in drawers or worse!.

If it was only one item I'd accept it, but as it is a few and both were required recently but didnt function, then it means I have to go and buy an alternative version, kinda puts me off purchasing with them as some other stores have better goodwill policies.

I suppose I cant blame them, maybe in this climate people are seeking refunds/repair more (probably loads that are not genuine too).

ok, thanks for the info, now time to to go look for a receipt!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You ALWAYS need a receipt, for faulty goods, for goodwill refunds..everything. There are two reasons, the first is to ascertain that you actually purchased the product and didn't steal it (you wouldn't believe how often that happens) and that if it isn't an own-brand product, that you actually bought it from them. The second is to confirm the price sold. Plenty of people will buy an item in the sale, 'lose' their receipt and argue until they're blue in the face that they bought it at full price.

However, credit card and debit card statements will suffice. Arguably they are not great because they don't itemise products and you can't match prices if you bought a bunch of stuff, but the law only says proof of purchase, and not specifically receipt.

Producing receipts of other items you bought in the shop won't help you at all. The receipt, if you have it, will state you need it! It's best to place them in the box etc. if it's an electrical good or similar.

Lots of shops are a bit lenient if you only want a replacement or exchange without a receipt. Outright refunds are a lot stricter, won't be done without a receipt, and have time limits.

I just wanted repair or preferably exchanges
    I may have gotten it on Laser, not sure, even if I did the thing is I'd never locate it in that as I'd likely have bought other stuff too, even if I could manage to pinpoint the date the transaction occurred.

I'm as likely to find the receipt :)

I really need to organise a filing system from now on in.
    I meant show them other receipts that show I gotten a lot of stuff off them, might show them its unlikely I knicked it (in case thats what they think, I didnt, knick it that is:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

In th op you say "a few years use" ? Then my guess is you are relying on a manufacturers warranty and not the sale of goods act. You will need to read this warranty in full and see that you have held up all the terms and conditions. Then you may also find that it is tbd manufacturer that you will be dealing with rather than the retailer.

One item was a few years use, the other was just out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Janey Mack

Sorry for going a bit off topic.

Has anyone had a problem with 'disappearing ink' on their receipts? In a lot of cases the receipts don't last nearly as long as the warranty. I have a box full of receipts and half of them are illegible.

Are scanned copies of receipts acceptable?

Janey Mack wrote: »
    Sorry for going a bit off topic.

Has anyone had a problem with 'disappearing ink' on their receipts? In a lot of cases the receipts don't last nearly as long as the warranty. I have a box full of receipts and half of them are illegible.

Are scanned copies of receipts acceptable?

ha, thats happened me too, I think its cos they are laser printed?? maybe someone else can confirm, maybe when they are exposed to light.
    I think scanned copies are ok, in fact it might be a good idea to create a back up.
    I'm guessing you have visited a retailer I have :)
    I've only noticed it with certain places.

If I could find my specific receipts i could confirm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Most retailers use thermally reactive paper - the POS system heats the paper to produce the writing. Its so you dont have to wait while ink ribbons are replaced - oh memories :-) I used to train cashiers to do it in ten seconds. I got told off for blindfolding them so had to stop that...

Anyway dont expose them to heat otherwise you are going to end up with a black mess not useful to anyone.

The old dot matrix ones should leave an inprint even when the ink has faded.

Jaysus - its sad I know all this :)

Personally I always buy anything over €50 on my credit card so I have the statement as a backup. I just throw every reciept I get into a shoebox in my press. Its not neat and much swearing ensues when I need to find one but I always do.

Most retailers use thermally reactive paper - the POS system heats the paper to produce the writing. Its so you dont have to wait while ink ribbons are replaced - oh memories :-) I used to train cashiers to do it in ten seconds. I got told off for blindfolding them so had to stop that...

Anyway dont expose them to heat otherwise you are going to end up with a black mess not useful to anyone.

The old dot matrix ones should leave an inprint even when the ink has faded.

Jaysus - its sad I know all this :)

Personally I always buy anything over €50 on my credit card so I have the statement as a backup. I just throw every reciept I get into a shoebox in my press. Its not neat and much swearing ensues when I need to find one but I always do.

janeymack was saying that some receipts go blank, I've come across this also, not that they go black at all (not in my experience).
    I guessed it might be exposure to light (UV?) but I've some receipts so faded that you can make out nothing from them, I'd probably be paying by credit/debit card anyway but for any pricey purchase that would mean it would be necessary to pay for these items individually so its easier to locate them in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

One item was a few years use, the other was just out of the box.

No matter what, you still need receipt or other proof of purchase.

On the first item, if its a "few years" (what sia few years) old, then it can only be a manufacturer's warranty you are claiming on and NOT any legal requirement that the retailer has. If you have the warranty details it will also state how to go about claiming on the warranty, but I doubt if teh retailer you bought it from would be involved in that issue.

With the item purchased a few months ago, if you can provide prof of purchase, the retailer can send for repair and once the repair is considered permanent, then that is what you have to accept. The fact that it has taken you a few months to notice that there are no instructions won;t wash as you should have checked it a lot earlier.

sandin wrote: »
    No matter what, you still need receipt or other proof of purchase.

On the first item, if its a "few years" (what sia few years) old, then it can only be a manufacturer's warranty you are claiming on and NOT any legal requirement that the retailer has. If you have the warranty details it will also state how to go about claiming on the warranty, but I doubt if teh retailer you bought it from would be involved in that issue.

With the item purchased a few months ago, if you can provide prof of purchase, the retailer can send for repair and once the repair is considered permanent, then that is what you have to accept. The fact that it has taken you a few months to notice that there are no instructions won;t wash as you should have checked it a lot earlier.

A few is just under two in my case, the warranty is longer than that.
    I'm sure there is an expectation that a device will last a reasonable amount of time also, eg a TV or a fridge might have a years warranty, but it could reasonably be expected to function under normal use for up to 8 years.

Well, its been stated a lot and it was what the whole thread i posted was about, I do need a receipt, that I can see.
    I guess its better to notice a problem earlier/as soon as possible, but I bought it because i thought, that looks handy, good price, I'll put that away and when i need it it will be there as it may not be for sale in the future.

The box was sealed and the item was stored away safely, I only cut the sealed sticky tab off the box when i went to use it, maybe I should have tested it when I purchased it, but that seemed a bit pointless as i assumed it would work as it was new, I didnt notice there was no instruction manual until i opened the box, there is nothing I could do about noticing that until I opened the box though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

As people are fond of pointing out warranties have nothing to do with your statutory rights. You have an obligation to act promptly in informing a retailer of any damage or missing items.

Most manuals are up online these days but if not I'm sure the manufacturer could e-mail you one.

Advertisement