Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future Merc Ringer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Dermo123 wrote: »
    What I am saying is we should not be so quick to make accusations in this case based on what others are doing now and in the past.
    I have no problem in apologising if I have made an incorrect assumption but when everything points to the assumption I made, and I wouldn't make it lightly, and the response has been rather far fetched and incoherent I think it is safe to assume that the original warning post I made is probably correct.

It would not surprise me at all if that reg number appeared again in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I have no problem in apologising if I have made an incorrect assumption but when everything points to the assumption I made, and I wouldn't make it lightly, and the response has been rather far fetched and incoherent I think it is safe to assume that the original warning post I made is probably correct.

Have you asked the seller about it?

Have you asked the seller about it?

I'm currently in Scotland so God knows when I'll see him.

The car lived it's earlier life down in Dromineer, it got parked up for a few years and then reappeared abouyt 7-8 years ago down the road from me at my neighbours who used to respray cars. He was well known in the area. He drove it regularly for many years, I think he had it in a St.Patricks day parade in Nenagh and then he passed it on to a member of his family.

I would seriously doubt it's a ringer unless it was rung very early in it's life

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Well the MattRoche chap that contributed to this thread (if he really is the person with the current ad and not a troll) would be fairly silly to make that number appear again given that he already gave an answer that we either choose to believe or not and why would he go to the trouble to address the issue if his intentions were to make it appear again. It is now on record here in any case so I suppose this thread has helped prevent it if that was his intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Hi, thank all you Doupting Thomases for your responses. Johnos 1984 is indeed correct in stateing that the Car was owned by a person in Dromineer. The Tax Book states that she got it in 1995 and she last taxed it in to Aug 1998. Do you know what colour it was then?. If it was RED then that was the orignal car. If it was ORANGE at that time, then it was RINGED before then. According to the tax book 8 previous owners, before 1995. There was no activity on the tax book again until 2006, when it was regestered by Johnnos neighbour. What happened the car in between? does he know? I would like to ask all of you , what would you do if you came accross a RINGER to-morrow, leave it in circulation!!. Dermo123 is spot on, I did indeed get the car at a reduced price, but believe me, I wont be making a handy profit, the car is completely rotten, I dont know how Johnos thinks it was a good car, it probably was 10 years ago. The breaker is coming for the car and tax book next Tue. As I have already said earlier I dont like ringers.

• Advertisement

The car was always orange. It was parked up for a few years on a driveway down there before going to my neighbour who re commissioned it.

If it is all as you say Matt then fair play to you but you can understand where I'm coming from and how it looks given you say you dislike ringing also.

Seems we are both concerned about the same thing but coming from different directions

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

mattroche wrote: »
    I wont be making a handy profit, the car is completely rotten, I dont know how Johnos thinks it was a good car, it probably was 10 years ago.

Then why did you buy it!?!:confused:

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I wont be making a handy profit, the car is completely rotten, I dont know how Johnos thinks it was a good car, it probably was 10 years ago.

Then why did you buy it!?!:confused:
    I can't get that straight in my head either and I never noticed anything seriously wrong with the car. It certainly wasn't as rotten on top and it was restored and owned by someone who made their living respraying cars

Hi Johnos 1984, thank you for your information. As I suspected, it was RINGED before the lady from Dromineer Bought it. The tax book that I have is the 2nd tax book, and she is the 1st. person named on it. It does say that she is the 9th owner, but it does not give the names of the previous owners. The Tax Book states it was 1st. reg in April 1978 and the colour was RED, so who knows when it was Ringed. Back then the V.R.T. would have been fairly high, probably about about £900 punts. The Chasis No. between the orignal chassis No. thats in the Tax Book and the one on the car is about 79,000 velicles, which makes me think car was probably 1983, but that is just a guess. Dermo 123 says it is a business with me , it is NOT, it is my hobby. I retired last year as I was 70, and I dont do Golf, Soccer, Ect. but this is my hobby, and it is great fun going to rallys every Sun during the Summer its is worse than drink, it is a complete addiction!!. I cant see a 123, but I feel I have to buy it. For anyone who would like to know, if you want to check the Chassis No on a Mercedes W123 look at the bulkhead under the windscreen and it should be there, dont just go on the plate in front of the radiator, as that could have been switched. If anyone has any further questions, please feel free to call me on 0868677601 during the day, but Please dont abuse it. I will NOT ANSWER PRIVATE NUMBERS. Looking forward to heraing from you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Matt, it's not a good idea to post your personal number on a public forum, everyone and his dog can see it. I cant edit the post but maybe another mod can?

• Advertisement

Hi Johnos 1984, thank you for your information. As I suspected, it was RINGED before the lady from Dromineer Bought it. The tax book that I have is the 2nd tax book, and she is the 1st. person named on it. It does say that she is the 9th owner, but it does not give the names of the previous owners. The Tax Book states it was 1st. reg in April 1978 and the colour was RED, so who knows when it was Ringed. Back then the V.R.T. would have been fairly high, probably about about £900 punts. The Chasis No. between the orignal chassis No. thats in the Tax Book and the one on the car is about 79,000 velicles, which makes me think car was probably 1983, but that is just a guess. Dermo 123 says it is a business with me , it is NOT, it is my hobby. I retired last year as I was 70, and I dont do Golf, Soccer, Ect. but this is my hobby, and it is great fun going to rallys every Sun during the Summer its is worse than drink, it is a complete addiction!!. I cant see a 123, but I feel I have to buy it. For anyone who would like to know, if you want to check the Chassis No on a Mercedes W123 look at the bulkhead under the windscreen and it should be there, dont just go on the plate in front of the radiator, as that could have been switched. If anyone has any further questions, please feel free to call me on <snip> during the day, but Please dont abuse it. I will NOT ANSWER PRIVATE NUMBERS. Looking forward to heraing from you

I've always wanted a W123, I think I know who to ask about one now. ;)

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Then wh did you buy it!?!:confused:
    Hi MCMLXXV, What part of taking the Car AND Tax Book out of Circulation do you not understand? You still have NOT answered my question, what would you do under the same circumstances? I am NEW to Boards .IE. I am curious, did your Parent give you such HORRIBLE NAMES that you are embarrased to use them, and use anonynous names instead. My Name is nothing special, but I am quite happto use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Wha? I have a great name thank you very much;)

Matt there is one fairly easy way to silence the critics here, post upome pictures of the rust

I've always wanted a W123, I think I know who to ask about one now. ;)
    Thank you Kenny, you can call me whenever you want to buy, I will be only too pleased to help if I can, but bear in mind I am NO expert.

Tzar Chasm wrote: »

Matt there is one fairly easy way to silence the critics here, post upome pictures of the rust

It's on Donedeal, they can go have a look for themselves.

Hi Carchaeologist, where did you get a name like that!!. Thanks for your advice, I am well aware of getting odd -balls ringing. If they want to talk about classic cars, especally Mercedes W123 I have NO problem. If they want to talk about something else, I will refer them to the Samaritans!! I will only answer the phone during the day, but will NOT ANSWER PRIVATE NUMBERS.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭f4fay

Hi Carchaeologist, where did you get a name like that!!. Thanks for your advice, I am well aware of getting odd -balls ringing. If they want to talk about classic cars, especally Mercedes W123 I have NO problem. If they want to talk about something else, I will refer them to the Samaritans!! I will only answer the phone during the day, but will NOT ANSWER PRIVATE NUMBERS.

He thinks He knows everything there is to know about cars and more !!!!:D

Fair play to you Matt you have put a stop to yet another Witch-Hunt on Boards.!!!!

f4fay wrote: »
    Fair play to you Matt you have put a stop to yet another Witch-Hunt on Boards.!!!!
    I suppose the rest of us who try and highlight people damaging the classic car scene in Ireland should go stand in the corner and hang our heads in shame then?

I highlighted what appeared to be something shabby taking place. Also I don't understand why he would buy a car like this and then scrap it for very little.

Too much here doesn't make sense

Sorry but that's how it appears to me

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭f4fay

I suppose the rest of us who try and highlight people damaging the classic car scene in Ireland should go stand in the corner and hang our heads in shame then?

I highlighted what appeared to be something shabby taking place. Also I don't understand why he would buy a car like this and then scrap it for very little.

It Really does'nt matter how it appears to you !!!! I dont condone people ringing cars but i think the acquisations that are made by certain people on here are disgraseful and as i've said before it is bringing unwanted attention and before anyone comes back with do we just ignore it ? NO but get some facts and not just what appears to you !!!! before a thread heading like Future Merc Ringer is displayed !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Hi Carchaeologist, where did you get a name like that!!.

Hello Matt, and since no one has said it already because of all the banter welcome to boards. Don't be too put off by all this chat on this particular thread, ringing cars is a subject dear to our hearts on here and we tend to get fairly animated about it sometimes..
    Usually we all get along just fine!!:D
    We would appriciate your 70+ years of motoring experience and knowledge of all things W123 if you wish to stick around for a bit!

As for my name, It's obviously not my real one, I just like rusty old cars it's obviously Car & archaeologist jammed together.
    Though some people's names on here make little sense!

• Advertisement

f4fay wrote: »

It Really does'nt matter how it appears to you !!!! I dont condone people ringing cars but i think the acquisations that are made by certain people on here are disgraseful and as i've said before it is bringing unwanted attention and before anyone comes back with do we just ignore it ? NO but get some facts and not just what appears to you !!!! before a thread heading like Future Merc Ringer is displayed !!!
    The fact is he bought a merc he claims is dodgy and he is now selling it minus it's papers.

He is even going to have it scrapped now.

I know the car and it wasn't dodgy. It's funny how he supplies nothing to the contrary other than his word. Not a pic nothing.

He is just going to clean up the classic scene by buying one car at a time and scrapping them if they are ringers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

That's the point I was trying to make, the photos on done deal make the car seem very tidy I can see no rust anywhere in them

If matt were to simply post some photos of the rust which led him to decide on scrapping the car this whole thing could be quickly put to rest

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tzar Chasm wrote: »

Indeed you do: it took me a few saying-it-out-louds to twig it ! :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 64,691 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Hello Matt, and since no one has said it already because of all the banter welcome to boards. Don't be too put off by all this chat on this particular thread, ringing cars is a subject dear to our hearts on here and we tend to get fairly animated about it sometimes..
    Usually we all get along just fine!!:D
    We would appriciate your 70+ years of motoring experience and knowledge of all things W123 if you wish to stick around for a bit!

+1

Well said, and welcome, Matt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Just a quick question, What colour is the car? Can't find it on any charts/

Thank you TZAR, but my photographic skills are very limited, but I will try to put them on Done Deal over the next few days. However, if anyone wishes to examine the car on MON.20th at my house they are more than welcome, provided they phone first and make an appointement, with a proper name and phone NO. to satisfy themselves that the car as bad as I have said. Now, either PUT UP OR SHUT UP. Have a nice day

to satisfy themselves that the car as bad as I have said. Now, either PUT UP OR SHUT UP. Have a nice day
    Are you trying to turn this thread into an ad?

The car was fine and isn't scrap. You took pictures for donedeal so take a few to help yourself here. Where is the corrosion? How bad is it? How much to fix it?
    With your experience of buying and selling them you should of easily spotted that before buying

And why should anybody shut up? I'm certain I've grabbed you by the short and curlies with this thread.........

Hi UNKEL, I may be 70, and I know the many of the comments quoted are probably libel, but its like water off a ducks back, what do I care what other people, whom I do not know think about me? Again I would like to state that I am NO EXPERT on classic cars, just enjoy dabbling in them,and going to various rallys during the Summer, it is great fun, nearly as good as responding to various comments about me, GOOD and BAD on BOARDS. I hope all you Classic Car bods will get away from your P.C. and go out and have some fun at these Rallys during the summer. If I can be of any help,in this regard, please contact me, or you can get Irish Vintage Scene from most good newsagents every Month, where you will get everything that is going on. Please, have a nice day, otherwise be miserible all day!! Go on, SMILE for a change, it will reduce your blood pressure!

Hi UNKEL, I may be 70, and I know the many of the comments quoted are probably libel!
    Show me one

• Advertisement

Hi Johnos, there is an old saying, " when you are in a hole, STOP DIGGING. so I suggest you stop digging.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement