Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Marian Apparitions at Melleray Grotto

• 25-08-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm sure this has already been posted somewhere else, but I was reading in the Dungarvan Observer that according to a visionary, St Mary was supposed to appear today (25 August) at four pm at Mount Melleray Groto. So does anyone know if she did? I didn't hear anything about it at any rate.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

she showed up and spoke to this visionary alright, but she passed on so much info that he has to go away for a while and decide what exactly she is trying to convey!!!

Lunatic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Sad that people actually believe in that kind of rubbish in this day & age (1,000 people showed up at Mount Mellary hoping to see the apparition).

This "visionary" making these claims was the same guy who said she appeared at Knock last year.

http://www.wlrfm.ie/tabId/269/itemId/4261/Followers-await-details-of-apparation-at-Mount-Mel.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jimm55

brian1991 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm sure this has already been posted somewhere else, but I was reading in the Dungarvan Observer that according to a visionary, St Mary was supposed to appear today (25 August) at four pm at Mount Melleray Groto. So does anyone know if she did? I didn't hear anything about it at any rate.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    I was there. There were a lot of people there, mostly young people. When I was on my way out, I overheard several groops of people talking about seing the stateu's head turning around several times. I was at the back of the crowd, and could not see it clearly. I thought it DID look it was moving at one time, but I was too far away to be sure.
    Joe seemed to be a lot better accepted there, than he was at Knock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

why does mary always seem to appear during recessions

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭looksee

kano476 wrote: »

To cheer everyone up! What harm? No, I have no interest or belief in it, but for people who do, if it gives a bit of comfort/diversion in hard times, I can't see a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

looksee wrote: »
    To cheer everyone up! What harm? No, I have no interest or belief in it, but for people who do, if it gives a bit of comfort/diversion in hard times, I can't see a problem.

I would agree about the moving statues 20 years ago, but some people have seriously damaged their vision staring at the sun due to this 'visionary'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

she showed up and spoke to this visionary alright, but she passed on so much info that he has to go away for a while and decide what exactly she is trying to convey!!!

Lunatic!!

HE sounded like a fellow that read one of the leaflets to be found going in/out and then relaying it the other day on Deise AM.

5 or 6 hours drive from dublin sounded a bit odd as well. Wonder what route he took. 2 1/2 hours Dublin to Mellerary would even sound long if he came down the Dublin/Cork motor way as far as Cahir and turn off. Melleray then is not a million miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

kano476 wrote: »
    Sure even she takes work where she can get it, apparitions and all that jazz

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭looksee

dayshah wrote: »
    I would agree about the moving statues 20 years ago, but some people have seriously damaged their vision staring at the sun due to this 'visionary'.

Well yes, that aspect is a bit difficult to understand. Though it does give a clue about the old sun worship beliefs - 'do not gaze upon the sun, lest ye be struck blind'. Which is no dafter than a lot of other things that people believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Stare at anything long enough and you'll think its moving. I remember being up in mellary around that time 20yrs ago and was made stare at the statues for ages. I was was only 12 at the time and it drove me bonkers cos my eyes would go crazy looking at it for so long.
    I say leave people believe what they want to believe if it makes them happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Havesomefun

I live just a few miles from the grotto. Back in the day when 'she first appeared' I stood for half an hour staring at the statue and it did appear to move..but only because my neck was strained for half an hour!

I don't believe in moving statues, but if those thoughts comfort others in their time of need then they do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jimm55

It's very hard to accept that a statue can actually move, or do anything for that matter. It is much easier to accept that it just appears that way ,because we are staring at it too long or something.
    There were no cameras allowed in Mellary the last day , so we could not attempt to record what was happening, as opposite to what appeared to be happening.
    Since I came back, I have spoken to several other people, who were there and thought they saw the statue move as well, to compare notes. What I found interesting was that the time they saw the statue appear to move was exactly the same time is I did. ie after " Our Lady of knock " was sung.

While most people will put all the recent apparitions down to staring at something too long or the sun , etc. None of these theories go any way to explain, for example, what happened at Kerrytown, on the 29th of September last year.
    It was just after 8pm. I was less than 2 feet away from the statue there , when the heart began to glow bright red. I touched the statue with my hand, and immediately the glow disappeared. Then I took my hand away, the glow returned. All of the other people there , (14, I think) all touched , and it done the same thing. I remember thinking at the time ," this can't be happening ".
    Over the following weeks, several people were cured there. I have since met two of them. They are in absolutely no doubt, that what happened to them was a miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

No cameras allowed, says it all really. If the believers really believe it is happening, then why not film it? If the statue moved then they would have evidence for us non-believers!

As for your glowing heart, why didn't you or anyone there take a photo or video clip with their camera phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

On my weekly passage over the Vee I was a bit groggy one Sunday morning and said id have the one pint in Mellary that turned into a few. As the confidence was building I joined the conversation of 4 or 5 people at the bar. I decided I would throw out the question about the apparition.

They all kind of looked at each other in an odd way. The long story short was that a lot of the people who saw her were a little unstable. The main man at the bar also had a nice profit out of the whole thing. I wont name his occupation as I am sure it gives it away.

Advertisement