Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

While I'm glad this was highlighted, there's some erroneous facts in it:
    The contract for six service stations on the M1 and M4 is expected to be signed in the next few weeks.

That is very misleading. There are three service stations planned, however, two or three of them, AFAIR, will have services on each side of the motorway.
    The NRA said it was not possible to erect all the signs in time for the upgrade, and it hoped to have all signs up by today.

I think it's only a few speed limit signs. Still not an excuse however, considering they had two bloody months to do it.

The provision of motorway service stations moved a step closer last week when the National Roads Authority (NRA) confirmed its preferred bidder - just two years after the tender process began.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The NRA has given the green light to the Superstop consortium - comprising Tedcastle Oil, which operates the Top brand; Petrogas, which runs the Applegreen chain of petrol stations; and Pierse Contracting - as the preferred bidder.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Four of the service stations will be located on the M1 motorway linking Dublin and Belfast, with two on the M4, which links the capital to the west of Ireland.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Superstop will be responsible for the design, construction, operation and financing of the service stations under a public-private partnership with the NRA.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The stations will comprise filling stations, restaurants, shops and HGV parking.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

http://hgvireland.com/news09a/09hgv376.html

Looks like this may be happening fairly soon, which is good news. I still don't agree with this selection for a first tranche, but it's better than nothing.

The "six" stations myth needs to end though. It's three stations with facilities on either side of the motorway.

Another article - according to this, the contract award announcement will be made at the end of the month.
    The first motorway service area (MSA) operator contracts will be awarded soon by the National Roads Authority (NRA) in Ireland.
    Tenders were originally advertised over two years ago by the NRA to contruct and operate the first MSA's in Ireland for the growing and new motorways developed in recent years. Biidders were made up of Petrogas (Applegreen brand) , Sweeney Oil (Esso Brand), Tedcastles (Top Brand), Topaz Energy and Welcome Break (UK MSA Brand). Significant by their absence was the Maxol oil company and brand who continue to loose market share in their only market place they operate in.

The NRA will officially announce the contract award by the end of September.
    It is understood by PetrolWorld that the MSA contract will be awarded to the "Superstop" bid which is a partnerhsip between Petrogas, Tedcastles and Pierse Contracting. The initial deal will be for 4 MSA's to be built on the M1 motorway which links Belfast to Dublin and 2 MSA's on the M4 whcih links Dublin with Galway in the West of Ireland.

The motorway service areas will consist of fueling service station , Restaurant and food services, shops and special areas for HGV's. No hotels or facilites for alternative fuels are known to be included in the plans. Other motorways that require MSA's include the Dublin/Cork and Dublin/Rosslare whcih both have small sections that remain under construction.

http://www.petrolworld.com/europe-headlines/ireland-motorway-service-area-operator-contract-appintment.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

They really need to get service areas on the M8, I drove it almost two weeks ago to Dublin for the All-Ireland semi-final and half way up around Junction 6, I was running low on Petrol (I was reckoning I'd make it to Abbeyleix or Durrow on the N8 stretch that is not Motorway) as I had forgot to get fuel the day before but had about a third of a tank setting off from Kerry and with it being 7am on a Sunday morning nowhere was open before hitting the Motorway at the Dunkettle Roundabout.

I saw a nice looking sign with a Restaurant and Fuel sign at junction 6 (Horse and Jockey as I since discovered) anyway there was no other sign on the offramp, and as It was only my 2nd time driving the M8 and am not too sure of the distances so decided to top-up to be doubly sure even though I had enough fuel to make the N8 on the old Cullahill stretch.

I then stupidly went the wrong way to Thurles as I had no modern accurate map (no maps up to date yet anyway) and because of a lack of signage on the offramp I headed for Thurles instead of the Horse and Jockey (never drove the old N8 as the N7 was quicker so did not know about Horse and Jockey) it cost me 20 mins in the Journey but gave my unknowing passengers a much needed rest also.

Bad signage and my own ignorance sent me as far as Thurles, we need Motorway service areas, on the way down then I was pretty wrecked (6am rise with 4 hours sleep and after driving up that morning) with my co-drivers on high octane stuff themselves:pac: I got stuck to drive again:eek:, and would have liked to stop off at services for a coffee and half hours rest. But I decided not to venture off the Motorway after my little expedition into the wilds of Tipperary that morning, I was tempted to pull into one of those lay-bys but figured I might get a ticket if I did from the Guards as I don't actually know what they are for? Are they for weary drivers or a place for the guards to pull you in for speeding etc?

They should roll out Service areas with 2 on the M8, I used the Cardiff services before of the M4 from London to Swansea (old ferry run) and it was ideal, if it was only your typical Centra, Topaz & Toilets with a few parking spaces it would be grand as you could refuel and rehydrate while taking a breather especially in such bad night time driving conditions as I encountered that evening (pelting rain and poor visibility).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1. Castlebellingham M1
    2. Lusk M1
    3. Enfield M4

Spin and waffle about 5000 jobs or something equally risible here.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1008/roads.html

I believe these are in addition to

A. Athlone M6
    B. Cashel ? M8

Nowt on the entire M7 or M9 . NRA says that €45m is all they have in the kitty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Sponge Bob's thread merged with this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sponge Bob wrote: »

I believe these are in addition to

A. Athlone M6
    B. Cashel ? M8

If you could these, you need to count Balbriggan M1 and arguably Celbridge M4 also...

This is feckin ridiculous . There should be an MSA every 60km max on all Motorways , half an hours drive .

Motorways are very boring/tiring at night or in heavy rain and iffy bladders cannot be expected to last more than 30 mins either.

Yet the M1 will get 3 in less than 100km when it only needs one near Dublin and one around Castlebellingham :(

And what about that poxy M50 / M11 stretch with nowt ???

The NRA's tranche one is an atrocious selection.

But at this stage, I welcome any progress on these. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sponge Bob wrote: »

And what about that poxy M50 / M11 stretch with nowt ???

The N11 DC in between two of the three bits of M11 has two private service stations, one each side right opposite each other as is. They've likely suspected this will do as the M11 MSA is planned for Gorey. The M50 isn't going to get one I'd assume - traffic entering from the Airport by M1 has stations there, traffic entering from Dublin Port has a station there and most other traffic is locals who will know where there are stations.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1009/1224256256507.html
    A DEAL to provide the first of the Republic’s motorway service areas was signed yesterday between a Superstop consortium and the National Roads Authority (NRA).

The motorway service areas are to be provided at three locations on the M1 and M4 motorways by the end of next year – motorists on the State’s other new motorways to Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford will have to wait indefinitely for similar facilities.

The new motorway service areas, to be built by a public-private partnership at a cost of more than €100 million, are on the M1 at Castlebellingham, Co Louth, and at Lusk, Co Dublin; and on the M4 at Enfield on the Meath/Kildare border. The NRA will provide €47 million in finance and the land, said to be worth €20 million.

Because of the provision of service areas on both sides of the motorways in the three locations concerned, six facilities are to be built.

The service areas will include shops, fuel pumps, parking areas for lorries, restaurants and hot showers. Construction is expected to begin this month and to be completed by the end of next year.

The service areas are to operate 24 hours a day. The Superstop concession is for 25 years, after which the service areas revert to the roads authority.

Some 500 jobs are to be created during the construction phase, with about half that number when the sites are operational, according to the roads authority.

Twelve locations along the network had been identified for service areas and the NRA was planning to have service areas on all inter-urban motorways by 2010. However, it is understood the authority has been told to halt the programme pending a better economic outlook.

A programme for the development of rest and toilet areas was also halted following advice that they could become locations for behaviour deemed anti-social.

• Advertisement

The NRA have plans to create 12 service areas (you can view their map in the attachment):

1) M1 - South of Balbriggan
    2) M1 - South of Dundalk
    3) M4 - West of Enfield
    4) M6 - Near Athlone
    5) M6 - Rathmorrisey Interchange
    6) M7 - Near Mountrath
    7) M7 - East of Nenagh
    8) M8 - South of Cashel
    9) M8 - Near Kilworth
    10) M9 - Near Kilcullen
    11) M9 - Near Bagenalstown
    12) M11 - Between Arklow and Gorey

The following are at tender stage:
    1) M1 Southern MSA
    2) M1 Northern MSA
    3) M4 MSA

Forget Athlone and the Whole of the M6 and M7 and M8 .

This is the lot for quite some time .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tallpaul04

I presume they are building 3 sevice areas, all built at a junction with a bridge so both lanes of traffic can access it? am I correct in thinking this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

NRA Press Release:
    M1 & M4 Motorway Service Areas Contract Awarded

The NRA is pleased to confirm that it has awarded today (8th October 2009) a Public Private Partnership (PPP) contract to design, build, finance, maintain and operate the first three motorway service areas in Ireland to the Superstop Consortium. The consortium consists of Applegreen (Retail Operator), TOP Oil (Fuel Operator) and Pierse Contracting (Design & Construction).
    It is estimated that 500 jobs will be created during construction phase which begins this month and that around 250 full & part time jobs will be created when the new service areas open. Construction is expected to take just over a year with all three service areas anticipated to open before the end of next year.
    The three service areas will operate 24 hours a day. Two will be located on the M1 – at Castlebellingham, Co. Louth and at Lusk, Co. Dublin – and one on the M4 at Enfield, Co. Kildare. Each of the service areas will provide facilities on either side of the motorway and at each location there will be a restaurant, convenience shop, toilet and shower facilities, fuel, and dedicated parking for HGV’s. Additionally, there will be child play areas, picnic areas and tourism information.
    The contract with the Superstop Consortium is a 25 year concession agreement which includes the construction, maintenance and operation of the facilities. The NRA will make payments of €47 million to the consortium towards the construction of the facilities. The contract also provides for a sharing of the revenues generated from the service areas to go back to the state.
    Fred Barry, CEO of NRA stated
    “We are very pleased with this announcement today. These service areas will enhance the overall benefits of the new motorway network. There is an important driver safety element along with the convenience of amenities for all road users."
    For further information contact: Sean O’ Neill
    01-6658744
    086-8230600
    http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases/htmltext,16697,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Furet wrote: »
    Fred Barry, CEO of NRA stated
    “We are very pleased with this announcement today. These service areas will enhance the overall benefits of the new motorway network. There is an important driver safety element along with the convenience of amenities for all road users."
    But obviously the long stretch from Dublin to Cork OR Waterford OR Limerick is safety uncritical!

I soon can drive from the end of the Ballincollig bypass to North of Kells on Motorway (/very decent dual carraigeway), a distance of 320km, without a single designated service stop provided for rest/ toilet or refueling.

Actually, not even a properly signed existing petrol station is along the route to provide an alternative to the missing rest stops.

How long will it be before you have people pulling over at the side of the motorway on long journeys desperate to relieve themselves on the hard shoulder?
    And how long will it be before people on the hard shoulder relieving themselves be killed.

In the UK 250 people a year are killed on hard shoulders, which is 12% of the total motorway fatalities. In Ireland we will have a worse % figure if it becomes the norm to use the hard shoulder as a toilet for the lack of any alternative.

But obviously the long stretch from Dublin to Cork OR Waterford OR Limerick is safety uncritical!

It further infers that only denizens of the Pale are entitled to a presumption of safety :(
    In the UK 250 people a year are killed on hard shoulders, which is 12% of the total motorway fatalities. In Ireland we will have a worse % figure if it becomes the norm to use the hard shoulder as a toilet for the lack of any alternative.

Do you have link ....out of interest .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

indeed!
    heres the link to a british road safety website:
    http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/SafetyOnHardShoulder.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Furet wrote: »

Hi, I'm an M1er myself, but I think it is ludicrous that the M1 (around 80k long) will get two full services areas, while the M8 will get none - like it's over 250km from Dublin to Cork. If money was tight, would it not make more sense to build one M1 service area at Gormanston's City North, One M6 service area East of Athlone, and one M7 facility at Portlaoise. The M11 will get one at Gorey if the Arklow to Rathnew contract goes ahead. The M9 and M18 motorways would still need attention, but at least more of our motorway network would be covered.

Regards!

Well lads, which one of us will be up there grabbing photos of this? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

BluntGuy wrote: »

Oh, Oh, did I say I was an M1er, and me with no digital cam - better try and get the lend of someone elses! :o:o:o

Regards!

Using Ireland's only existing purpose built dual-carriageway services today (ex-Hamills, N4 Mullingar) made me wonder if the NRA have made sure that there are going to be minimum service levels and maintenance of facilities on their MSAs.

As far as I know this N4 one is Esso Ireland owned, and its an utter kip. The restaurant (still signed on the tower signs) was demolished some time ago and the tunnel between the sides is closed off - previously because the food was only on one side you could cross under. The toilet block on the Dublin bound side is closed off with an "out of use" (not even just out of order) sign on it, there's windows broken in the shop and the entrance slip was flooded!

If a private operator does that to something they own, I can't bear to think how they could treat something they have to give back at the end if not forced to keep it up properly.

• Advertisement

I soon can drive from the end of the Ballincollig bypass to North of Kells on Motorway (/very decent dual carraigeway), a distance of 320km, without a single designated service stop provided for rest/ toilet or refueling.

You can't, though. There are two Esso stations directly on the route in that direction (Beaufort and Joels) and in the opposite direction, there are two Esso's on the route (Beaufort and Rathcoole), a Topaz on a slip road and an Applegreen beside the route signposted as 'Services 24hr'.

The situation is nowhere near as bad as people imagine - and if the NRA just signed the existing 24hr stations beside routes on motorways as well as DCs, it'd be mostly alleviated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Hi, I'm an M1er myself, but I think it is ludicrous that the M1 (around 80k long) will get two full services areas, while the M8 will get none - like it's over 250km from Dublin to Cork. If money was tight, would it not make more sense to build one M1 service area at Gormanston's City North, One M6 service area East of Athlone, and one M7 facility at Portlaoise. The M11 will get one at Gorey if the Arklow to Rathnew contract goes ahead. The M9 and M18 motorways would still need attention, but at least more of our motorway network would be covered.

Regards!

I drove up the road today, and noticed that the supports for the signs to this service station have been installed at Castlebellingham. This must have been done when the resigning on the M1 was underway (and still not yet complete!) - I notice that the N33/N2 now has Letterkenny signposted.
    Has anyone seen similar signpost supports/frames installed at Lusk or on the M4?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

MYOB wrote: »
    if the NRA just signed the existing 24hr stations beside routes on motorways as well as DCs, it'd be mostly alleviated.

Agree with this ... at least until they build their own ones. Kilmartins (east of Athlone) is a 24Hr just off the M6, though I don't think there are any signs to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Work starts on the M1 service stations at Ballough (Lusk) tomorrow. The traffic management (hard shoulder closed southbound) is already in place. Applegreen will run the garage, the restaurants will be Burger King - same as all the other planned service stations.

The Ballough service station will open in August 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Work starts on the M1 service stations at Ballough (Lusk) tomorrow. The traffic management (hard shoulder closed southbound) is already in place. Applegreen will run the garage, the restaurants will be Burger King - same as all the other planned service stations.

The Ballough service station will open in August 2010.

1 machine on the hard shoulder at his site this morning at 11am with a load of guys surveying etc and the guys up at the new stop south of Dundalk had already broke through the fence and were digging out in the field.

VMS on the M4 stating work commences on the 19th for the Enfield MSA. These lads don't hang around!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

BluntGuy wrote: »

I'll go to Ballough on Saturday and get pics

Regarding Ballincollig to Kells, aren't there service stations on the N7 between Johnstown and Dublin

They were landing all the site cabins in South of Dundalk today. Anyone got a link to the plans / design of these?

cargo wrote: »
    They were landing all the site cabins in South of Dundalk today. Anyone got a link to the plans / design of these?

Jesus I couldn't be waiting for ye to reply and do the hard work for me. I went and looked it up myself. :D

Here's the link to the EIS documents for all 3 SA's. The Non-Tech summary is the handiest to read as it has most of the info and all the maps etc as well.

The East & West sides of the motorway are not been linked. There's two full seperate facilities on each side of road. Probably as cheap or even cheaper than building a bridge to get traffic from one side of the carriageway.

http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

Bluetonic wrote: »
    the "restaurants" will be Burger King

Fixed that for you. FFS, Burger King.:mad:

Advertisement