Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society - Feedback thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Based on the Ryder Jug thread...

Book Old Head for captain's day, get numbers early & everyone start saving for it now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Based on the Ryder Jug thread...

Book Old Head for captain's day, get numbers early & everyone start saving for it now

It is daft money. Think the lads put money every outing - 5er extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Are you guys reading my mind or something? :)
    Update post coming shortly

Gentlemen

So you have spoken and we have listened. The committee met yesterday and had discussions based on all of your feedback. Someone asked for minutes :D
    Whilst we would dearly love to accommodate all of your requests, it is not easy, however we will do our best. So firstly I'll start with the simple stuff.

Dates
    So we have looked at the calendar and have the dates mapped out to schedule our 2015 outings in and around the 3rd or 4th Saturday each month. The question was raised of having a Sunday outing, so perhaps you can let us know your thoughts on that?

We will let you know as early as possible when confirmations have been made and bookings in place.

Handicaps
    We will make some changes as to how the handicaps are worked, with complete transparency. There will be clearly defined rules outlined so you will know what, how and if any changes are being made to your handicap.

Captains Drive in - Open event
    So lets have a bit of fun. This will be a new, non qualifying team event. A sociable opener to the season aimed at encouraging new members, a bit of craic and of course the all important team building in preparation to reclaim the Ryder Jug.

This is proposed as an additional event, provisionally for the 31st January. We know how uber competitive you all are, so we don't want to have to sacrifice any chance of GOTY points.

Sponsorship
    Thanks to Fix for the suggestion and it was something I already had in mind. Many thanks go out to Golfgraffix for sponsoring the fantastic GOTY prize for the last few years, here's hoping he might be so kind again next year ;). I plan to make approaches to try and secure some sponsorship for the 2015 season.

It would be fantastic if any of you can help in any way at all, be it a single small prize or a large cheque :D So if yourself or maybe your colleagues, employers or perhaps your own clubs can make any kind of donation please drop me or any of the committee a PM to discuss. Even something as simple as a contact name and number would be greatly appreciated. If we can manage to arrange some sponsorship this year it will really open doors for us, so please do what you can.

Venues
    We have discussed venues, and I think we have come up with some crackers. Obviously, can't give to much away here yet until we get bookings and rates confirmed, but suffice it to say we will hopefully return to one or 2 past venues of note and add a number of new courses. We will endeavour to book as early as possible and let you know with as much advance notice as we can.

Links, Captains Day & Social night
    So guys, Links seems to be a big request but unfortunately due to the natural constraints of the society, it might not be so easy, but we will try.

1. In general Links are expensive, and the decent ones are very, very expensive.
    2. Links are awkward to get to, being coastal, it is a case where it is guaranteed to give some people very long drives.

As the night away last year proved so popular last season we would hope to do it again next year. The committee would love to arrange a class links course with a stay over so this would certainly help with the long driving.

To cut down on the cost (well the impact on your wallet all at once anyway), if we can get some kind of stay and play deal sorted, how would the members feel about paying off €5 or €10 as we attend the outings during the year? Of course, you don't have to stay and you don't have to prepay, it just might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i nominate seve for Captain - 2016!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Rikand wrote: »

Coincidentally you should say that, (I thought I had this posted before) unfortunately kiers47 in unable to take the captains position full time next year but thankfully seve has said he will do it with kiers doing vice captain. All hail captain Seve & kiers!!

Rikand wrote: »
    charlieIRL wrote: »
    Coincidentally you should say that, (I thought I had this posted before) unfortunately kiers47 in unable to take the captains position full time next year but thankfully seve has said he will do it with kiers doing vice captain. All hail captain Seve & kiers!!

He said 2016.... 2015 will be enough for me thanks all the same :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

That free food has gone to his head!

Seve OB wrote: »
    He said 2016.... 2015 will be enough for me thanks all the same :)

hehe - are you sure ?

What if I promise you more of these at overnight trip ? ;)
    hens_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Lads who is on the committee? Has it been the same lads since the society started? You guys really need to think about sharing the work load.

• Advertisement

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Lads who is on the committee? Has it been the same lads since the society started? You guys really need to think about sharing the work load.

cheers for the offer Ben, appreciate it.

Keano, ssbob, kiers & myself have been here from the start, pistolpete and scubapro help out as well. Once the courses are organised that's the hard part out of the way. Sometimes the morning of the events get a bit hectic but its only for a few minutes.

Am looking forward to next year big time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

First off thanks to Charlie and the other organisers, only made 2 outings due to new baby and dates clashing with medals.

Agree with fix about tee times - one of the outings had members going out between our groups which split things up a bit. Personally I prefer to know time and group before I get there if possible.

Not sure if we could get it in budget but another vote for Concra here, definitely one of the best courses I've played in the last few years. Some stunning views and immaculate greens

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tigerwood1

If carlsberg did golf societys:

Feb = Doonbeg
    March = Concrawood
    April = Fota island
    may = Adare manor
    june = Headford new
    july = Bunclody
    august= Druids glen(captains)
    sept = Lough erne
    Oct = Lahinch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

tigerwood1 wrote: »

Feb = Doonbeg
    March = Concrawood
    April = Fota island
    may = Adare manor
    june = Headford new
    july = Bunclody
    sept = Lough erne
    Oct = Lahinch

Tiger for captain :D

tigerwood1 wrote: »

Feb = Doonbeg
    March = Concrawood
    April = Fota island
    may = Adare manor
    june = Headford new
    july = Bunclody
    sept = Lough erne
    Oct = Lahinch

And every event for 30 quid

And permission slips from the wife to let me stay over for each one! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tigerwood1

dar_cool wrote: »
    Tiger for captain :D
    Just checking my lotto ticket from last night, you never know i might be able to sponsor them myself:pac::pac:. i got a feeling that at least one of these courses will be on our new captains list for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭a post punk

Just to throw in my thoughts lads !"/ thanks to all the comittee for organising a great year and was gutted to miss the captains day( got married same day).I am travelling from mitchelstown and have no problem going to any course as what the lads have picked have always been very enjoyable even as a very average golfer so i say the earlier the tee time the better! I would say yes to a sunday outing and definately a social event either side of the season, also i would pay the extra 5 or 10 euro at each outing towards the end of year bash.
    Kiers im disappointed you couldn't take up captain are you whipped already??!

Welcome back dude, congrats.

See ya in 10 years when your allowed out to play again!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭a post punk

thanks charlie i have permission for golf got for next year at least......

Lads, figured I'd give you all a bit of an update.

I suppose firstly, I would like to say a big, big thanks to the guys who have been behind the scenes over the last few years. While we all know how hard they have worked for us, when you get involved it gives you a different perspective on things, and you realise just how much effort has gone in, so fair play to all of you for your hard graft over the years.

So discussions are going on all the time in the background. Courses for next year are lining up well, bookings are being made and deposits getting paid. Just a few left to confirm, so I would like to hold off on letting you know exactly what's in store until the list is complete. It shouldn't be to much longer ;)

A bit of sponsorship has been secured which will help towards the running of things with prizes and course selection. If any of you can come up with anything, please drop me a PM.

The first outing as mentioned, will be the Captains Drive in, a new event and hopefully a bit of fun. It will be on the 31st January in a central location, so make sure mark your diary for that one.

Roll on 2015

• Advertisement
Advertisement