Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Wouldn't trust that site to be honest, seems like an amalgamation of current rumours on Cranston as well as cryptic quotes from Strong to make a very poor article.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

All these rumours about Lex seem like someone sitting around thinking of bald actors. Not a great way to cast a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

All these rumours about Lex seem like someone sitting around thinking of bald actors. Not a great way to cast a part.

Sure isn't that basically how Patrick Stewart got the Prof X gig :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Is Batman the most consistently miscast role in media (bar Bale)? Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney and now Ben Affleck? I expect it'll be much more lightweight than the last trilogy but someone like Karl Urban would've been a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Is Batman the most consistently miscast role in media (bar Bale)? Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney and now Ben Affleck? I expect it'll be much more lightweight than the last trilogy but someone like Karl Urban would've been a good shout.

Adam West and Michael Keaton are pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I actually don't think Clooney (and to a lesser extent, Kilmer) was miscast at all. He was just a victim of a terrible terrible film on all fronts, they could have cast anyone in that role and it would have turned out the same. Could have made a great Batman under other circumstances.

Keaton was great btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

You've forgotten Kevin Conroy and Diedrich Bader, two of the best Batmen we've had.

I've always thought Bale was a really mediocre Wayne/Batman. He had no personality as Wayne and his Batman, while better than Kilmer's and Clooney's, was much worse than Keaton's.

The thing that worries me about Affleck being cast as Batman is how is he going to do the voice? His normal voice is fine for the playboy, carefree Bruce Wayne, but can he pull off a convincing, real sounding deep voice. I hope they dont use a ridiculous voice synthesiser again, like in Nolan's Trilogy. If that where the case, it would be better if they got Conroy to dub him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I actually don't think Clooney (and to a lesser extent, Kilmer) was miscast at all. He was just a victim of a terrible terrible film on all fronts, they could have cast anyone in that role and it would have turned out the same. Could have made a great Batman under other circumstances.

Keaton was great btw.

Completely agree. Especially all these 'well at least it's not Clooney quotes'. The film itself rose above everything and everyone else in it in terms of absolute crap. Would have been a decent Batman with the right film, excellent actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

You've forgotten Kevin Conroy and Diedrich Bader, two of the best Batmen we've had.

I've always thought Bale was a really mediocre Wayne/Batman. He had no personality as Wayne and his Batman, while better than Kilmer's and Clooney's, was much worse than Keaton's.

The thing that worries me about Affleck being cast as Batman is how is he going to do the voice? His normal voice is fine for the playboy, carefree Bruce Wayne, but can he pull off a convincing, real sounding deep voice. I hope they dont use a ridiculous voice synthesiser again, like in Nolan's Trilogy. If that where the case, it would be better if they got Conroy to dub him.

Disagree imho Bale was the best Wayne/Batman anyone following him is on a hiding to nothing, that is why there is so much hate for Ben Affleck, i'm actually surprised he went for the role he must have known the amount of abuse he would have got from fanboys. Also think Nolan is out of the picture now so Snyder is calling the shots can't see Nolan going for Affleck as an actor, director maybe. Also think Superman/Batman movie is to soon should have made another solo Superman movie then do the Superman/Batman movie as it would be another 2-3 years down the line from the Nolan trilogy and fans would be more accepting of the next actor to play Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's how I felt about him too. He wasn't that I thought he was a bad Batman, he just wouldn't have been anything without the script. Picture him in Tim Burton's films, for example, and he'd have been fairly boring to watch.
    i'm actually surprised he went for the role he must have known the amount of abuse he would have got from fanboys.

I saw someone post something along the lines of "Ben Affleck goes home to his mansion, polishes his Oscars, has sex with Jennifer Garner, and then laughs at the internet. :D I can't imagine he really cares what fanboys think.

• Advertisement

I'd say Affleck doesn't really care what people think about his being Batman. At least, I genuinely hope so, because I'm really curious to see how he pulls it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Sky are now reporting Cranston is the new Luthor in a 6 film deal!

http://news.sky.com/story/1133594/bryan-cranston-to-play-lex-luthor-in-sequel

I found nothing memorable about Keaton's Batman, or Kilmer's entire career, and Clooney pretty charmless in his supposedly 'suave' roles...I dont think Bale especially good as Batman, just better than what went before.

Film forum, so voice actors from tv and video games don't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,004 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

prospect wrote: »
    Sky are now reporting Cranston is the new Luthor in a 6 film deal!

http://news.sky.com/story/1133594/bryan-cranston-to-play-lex-luthor-in-sequel

WB betting big on Superman vs Batman - massive pressure on them not to screw it up, as I fear they will.

6 films is huge.

Wonder what the plan is - would assume at least 2 Superman movies (This and a third) and probably 2 Justice League movies. Another of each as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

WB betting big on Superman vs Batman - massive pressure on them not to screw it up, as I fear they will.

6 films is huge.

Wonder what the plan is - would assume at least 2 Superman movies (This and a third) and probably 2 Justice League movies. Another of each as well?

Wonder woman and flash/aquaman movies etc
    with everyone in everyone's movies ala Samuel l. J and RDJ in the lead up to the avengers. Maybe bigger parts to carry the movies.
    leading up to a big finisher JL movie with luthor bringing in a major baddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I have to disagree about Clooney - he was definitely miscast. There's no difference in his performance as Bruce Wayne or Batman, he acts the same in both characters, it's just wardrobe changes. He was cast purely on how he looked in the suit - Schumacher said he sketched a Batman cowl over a magazine photo of Clooney's face that's how he came up with the idea to cast him.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Conroy voiced Batman in a thetrically released film (the best one too imo), so by your criteria he certainly does count.
    Greyjoy wrote: »
    I have to disagree about Clooney - he was definitely miscast. There's no difference in his performance as Bruce Wayne or Batman, he acts the same in both characters, it's just wardrobe changes. He was cast purely on how he looked in the suit - Schumacher said he sketched a Batman cowl over a magazine photo of Clooney's face that's how he came up with the idea to cast him.

Will have to agree to disagree I think. He was crap in that film but I personally think he's shown he has the acting chops to have pulled it off in a better all round film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Just think its great that a poster called mark hamill is standing up for kevin conroy as the best batman.

Conroy voiced Batman in a thetrically released film (the best one too imo), so by your criteria he certainly does count.

Which one was theatrically released?

I watched dark knight returns and thought peter weller did a good job.
    He'd have been a interesting choice for the MOS2 role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Which one was theatrically released?

Mask of the Phantasm in 1993.

• Advertisement

Less than $6m at the box office? Don't think anyone can be blamed for not knowing about that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If you're a Batman fan, it's well worth checking out. You can get this boxset fairly cheaply in larger Tesco stores.

Also, what difference does it make if the film is televised release only?
    Sure 20 minute cartoons and video games aren't film. But a feature length tv movie is still a movie, animated or otherwise.

Sure the animators play a part in the "acting" of the character as well as the voice actor.
    But so do the director and costume designers of live action films.

And the acting/plot and production value of many video games surpasses many cinematic releases in recent years.

The few DCAU movies i've seen are easily comparable to cinematic releases in acting and production. Cant dismiss them purely because they dont achieve mainstream exposure.

Diedrich Bader could easily play batman in this movie, he has the "look" and size and age maturity. We're more used to him in comical and hammy roles so it's unlikely he would be considered, but if things weren't pre-judged so readily he could probably play the role well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

He absolutely counts.

Mask of the Phantasm is amazing, and all Conroy's work as Batman is outstanding.

He is the definitive Batman to many, including myself.
    Less than $6m at the box office? Don't think anyone can be blamed for not knowing about that one!

Batman fans know about it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I agree Conroy voicing Batman set the standard. I wanted to forget all about the Batman franchise when the animated series went off down the Beyond route.

In film land, Nolans take on Batman was a breath of fresh air.
    I didn't agree with bits of it but that's just me being a bit picky.
    This latest news that Nolan has said bye bye in terms of his involvement with a Batman v Superman film and giving the role of Bats to Affleck worries the hell out of me.

Affleck couldn't deal with a beta comic hero in the form of Daredevil how in the hell will he do with an alpha character in the form of Bats?

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

StudentDad wrote: »
    Affleck couldn't deal with a beta comic hero in the form of Daredevil how in the hell will he do with an alpha character in the form of Bats?

What was it about Affleck's performance in Daredevil you didn't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,959 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Keaton was great btw.

I still think Clooney was the worst Batman myself, he was hot property at the time over ER and that is why he was cast I think, he did ok as Bruce Wayne and yes the film was bad even though Uma and Arnie as the villains weren't too bad imo

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Batman fans know about it.

Yet most didnt bother to go see it in the cinema apparently.

Anyhow, I know there are good voice-actors from Arkham games etc, but the main topic here is a major Hollywood franchise, not an animated movie. A voice-actor wont be appearing in any live action movie as Batman, mainly because they cast famous actors from other big hollywood filmd in these parts, not unknowns from the world of cartoon voicework.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Yet most didnt bother to go see it in the cinema apparently.

I don't know if it even came out over here to be honest, certainly not where I live anyways. I admit I only saw it on video after finding out about after seeing a post for it in Zhivagos (pre internet days for me), and nearly flipped out, as I had no idea there was an animated movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

What was it about Affleck's performance in Daredevil you didn't like?

I just didn't grab me at all. The film felt like it was put together like a join the dots picture.

SD

Advertisement