Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question: confiscated car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

GRMA wrote: »
    Hope they crush it, with the owner in it preferably.

Why should they.
    They should follow the same procedure, as with any other resident driving foreign car.
    He should be able to get a car back, when he pays vrt with arrears for not registering on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

CiniO wrote: »

1 year is the max time limit before car must be registered, but it's kinda stupid.
    If owner after coming here with a car, becomes resident, he must register it straight away.
    The question is - when does he become resident.
    Surely if he stays here more than 183 days in one year.
    But in general, someone coming here getting job and planning to stay for good becomes resident straight away, however it would behard to prove if someone is planning to stay.
    But generally sooner or later person moving to Ireland with foreign car, must register it here anyway most likely within half a year.

On the other hand there is a wrong situation for casual visitors.
    F.e. my mum who come here to Ireland for a month or two every year (to visit me).
    She is not resident in Ireland and never will be.
    She could bring a Polish registered car with her, leave it here and use it when she is here. But car can't stay here more than 12 months without being registered. However she can't register a car in Ireland, as she is not resident here (no Irish insurer would give a policy to non-resident).
    So legally, she can't have her foreign car here for more than 12 months, but also she can't register it here, as she is not resident.
    Therefore she doesn't really have any option to have a car in here, except from brining it every time she comes here, which is out of the question due to too long distance to travel.
    This is wrong.

Are you supporting "dads" actions??? Cause if you are , your wrong!!!
    Btw, if you choose to live in this country abide by its laws.. And them is the laws so please quit the moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

1 year is the max time limit before car must be registered, but it's kinda stupid.
    If owner after coming here with a car, becomes resident, he must register it straight away.
    The question is - when does he become resident.
    Surely if he stays here more than 183 days in one year.
    But in general, someone coming here getting job and planning to stay for good becomes resident straight away, however it would behard to prove if someone is planning to stay.
    But generally sooner or later person moving to Ireland with foreign car, must register it here anyway most likely within half a year.

On the other hand there is a wrong situation for casual visitors.
    F.e. my mum who come here to Ireland for a month or two every year (to visit me).
    She is not resident in Ireland and never will be.
    She could bring a Polish registered car with her, leave it here and use it when she is here. But car can't stay here more than 12 months without being registered. However she can't register a car in Ireland, as she is not resident here (no Irish insurer would give a policy to non-resident).
    So legally, she can't have her foreign car here for more than 12 months, but also she can't register it here, as she is not resident.
    Therefore she doesn't really have any option to have a car in here, except from brining it every time she comes here, which is out of the question due to too long distance to travel.
    This is wrong.

you may be a law abiding eastern european irish resident, which is great.

but do take off your rosy tinted glasses, its no secret there are droves of eastern europeans in this country out to dodge giving the irish economy a cent.

like the OP's dad.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Are you supporting "dads" actions??? Cause if you are , your wrong!!!

Btw, if you choose to live in this country abide by its laws.. And them is the laws so please quit the moaning.

Where did I say I was supporting his actions.

His actions were illegal and and he should be punished (he already was thb - his car was taken off him).

I just pointed few thing above - 1. that there is plenty other offenders like him driving foreign car. Only difference was that he didn't get caught for 8 years, which actually doesn't say anything about him, but about Irish law enforcemnt. And 2, that the law that is there is far from being good, as it makes some things impossible for some people who want to obey it, like in my example.

you may be a law abiding eastern european irish resident, which is great.

but do take off your rosy tinted glasses, its no secret there are droves of eastern europeans in this country out to dodge giving the irish economy a cent.

like the OP's dad.

He was braking the law - that's obvious.
    But how did he managed to get away with it for 8 years, that's what amazes me the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

He was braking the law - that's obvious.
    But how did he managed to get away with it for 8 years, that's what amazes me the most.

he probably only takes it out once a week, to pick up his dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I worked with several non-nationals and they all drove their home cars here for years. Then they started getting nabbed by Customs on their way to work so they all drive Irish cars now.
    This was when Customs stepped up the checks for UK and other foreign cars a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lets suppose the vrt due is €700 and the cars been overdue payment for 96 months. Isn't the vrt payable €700 cumulatively increased by 5% 95 times

Am I bonkers, or does that mean he owes €48,000?

biko wrote: »
    I worked with several non-nationals and they all drove their home cars here for years. Then they started getting nabbed by Customs on their way to work so they all drive Irish cars now.
    This was when Customs stepped up the checks for UK and other foreign cars a few years back.

So it shows the best, that enforcement of the law is the best way to make people obey it.

And while I understand why law requires residents to register their cars in here, I can't understand why this law is limit time to 12 month for non-residents to keep their cars here.
    And I also can't understand why residents are not permitted to drive non-residents car under any circumstances, even when owner non-resident is in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Where did I say I was supporting his actions.

His actions were illegal and and he should be punished (he already was thb - his car was taken off him).

I just pointed few thing above - 1. that there is plenty other offenders like him driving foreign car. Only difference was that he didn't get caught for 8 years, which actually doesn't say anything about him, but about Irish law enforcemnt. And 2, that the law that is there is far from being good, as it makes some things impossible for some people who want to obey it, like in my example.

Driving illegally for 8 years and you think that doesn't say anything about him.

It says plenty about him!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Hi guys, :)

I have a very big question . This week my Dads car got confiscated by the Garda, first it was an Lithuanian car , second there was nothing on it just a European insurance it was year 1986 he was waiting till she was age 30 to register only was 4 years left :( and to get everything cheaper, but actually he was driving her in Ireland for 8 years and never got stopped by the Garda :cool: . So when they stopped him they said the car is over 1 year in Ireland he needs to pay VRT, insurance and tax but it cost too much money he said he doesn't want her anymore , garda said they will destroy it. But is there any fine will be issued for destroying the car ? :confused:

He should get the chair, nothing less!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Lets suppose the vrt due is €700 and the cars been overdue payment for 96 months. Isn't the vrt payable €700 cumulatively increased by 5% 95 times

I get ~€2K

0.1% of €720, each day for 8 years.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Driving illegally for 8 years and you think that doesn't say anything about him.

It says plenty about him!!!

What's the difference between someone driving illegally for 8 years, to someone doing the same for 6 months before getting caught?

I can't see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

So it shows the best, that enforcement of the law is the best way to make people obey it.

And while I understand why law requires residents to register their cars in here, I can't understand why this law is limit time to 12 month for non-residents to keep their cars here.
    And I also can't understand why residents are not permitted to drive non-residents car under any circumstances, even when owner non-resident is in the car.

One of the stupid anomalies in the system, truly. I've lived in the UK for 17 years but also have a home in Ireland I try to visit at least once a month. I ted to drive over as I can't import one of my cars VRT free (as I'm not changing residence), I can't import a car and pay VRT (as I don't reside in Ireland). And I have avoided buying a third car to leave in Dublin.

Marcusm wrote: »
    One of the stupid anomalies in the system, truly. I've lived in the UK for 17 years but also have a home in Ireland I try to visit at least once a month. I ted to drive over as I can't import one of my cars VRT free (as I'm not changing residence), I can't import a car and pay VRT (as I don't reside in Ireland). And I have avoided buying a third car to leave in Dublin.

You wouldn't be able to buy a car in Ireland anyway, as no Irish insurer would cover you as non-resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

No VRT applies to his car assuming he owned it for at least 6 months prior to coming to Ireland.

I get ~€2K

0.1% of €720, each day for 8 years.

But as far as I know its cumulative ie €700 plus 5%, then 735 plus €5% etc

Seweryn wrote: »
    No VRT applies to his car assuming he owned it for at least 6 months prior to coming to Ireland.

Yea, that's interesting.
    Can someone still avail of vrt exemption, even if he didn't register a car straight away after coming here?

An exemption is available subject to actually following the rules. I don't think it applies 8 years on.

You wouldn't be able to buy a car in Ireland anyway, as no Irish insurer would cover you as non-resident.

Yes I would! Took a bit of chatting through Liberty/Quinn who insured e at the time. Was helpful to them that in Ireland it would be in a secure car park. It's not standard but just because computer says no, doesn't mean no.

• Advertisement

But as far as I know its cumulative ie €700 plus 5%, then 735 plus €5% etc

Pretty sure it's 0.1% per day though..

Pretty sure it's 0.1% per day though..
    Yeah, but 0.1% on €0.00 VRT is still €0.00 ;).

An exemption is available subject to actually following the rules. I don't think it applies 8 years on.
    I do not think there are any rules that are applicable to the above case to be honest.

I do not think there are any rules that are applicable to the above case to be honest.

As in you need to register the car within a set time frame? You need to have had the car abroad for a certain time before registering, I'd assume that living in Ireland for say a year would mean that you didn't live abroad and have the car abroad for that year.

The vrt exemption is pretty generous (give that we all pay vrt, I know vrt not 'fair' etc) so if you're availing of it its only fair you do your part and actually get it together to actually register the car. Driving would involve having to tax it in Ireland though.

As in you need to register the car within a set time frame?
    Sure, and you pay % of the VRT fee if you are late.

But what if your VRT is €0 in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Trying to figure this out..

36% rate, minimum payment of €720 - so we're saying the OMSP is €2000

Penalty for the first 6 months is 10%, so €200

After that, previous penalty increases each month by 5% of OMSP (€100)

(90*€100) + €200 = €9,200 total

+ VRT cost @€;720 = €9,920

(based on what I read here - http://www.vrt.ie/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=515)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭flutered

i recently became aquainted with a polish person who drives a 2.5 yoke, i asked how can you afford to run it, tax insurance petrol, i was told no tax, i asked why, i was told the ticket for no tax is €60, a no brainer.

Sure, and you pay % of the VRT fee if you are late.

But what if your VRT is €0 in the first place?

That exemption must be applied for, it isn't automatic.

flutered wrote: »
    i recently became aquainted with a polish person who drives a 2.5 yoke, i asked how can you afford to run it, tax insurance petrol, i was told no tax, i asked why, i was told the ticket for no tax is €60, a no brainer.

I agree that it's no brainer to have to pay tax of over a grand, and in case being caught to be liable to fine of 60.
    It should be opposite. Tax 60, and fine over a grand. Than the system would work properly.

• Advertisement

As in you need to register the car within a set time frame? You need to have had the car abroad for a certain time before registering, I'd assume that living in Ireland for say a year would mean that you didn't live abroad and have the car abroad for that year.

The vrt exemption is pretty generous (give that we all pay vrt, I know vrt not 'fair' etc) so if you're availing of it its only fair you do your part and actually get it together to actually register the car. Driving would involve having to tax it in Ireland though.

In this case, however, it seems likely that there should not have been any VRT (a point I made a few pages back). Vis a vis delay, I know of one instance of 3 years or so before the car was registered and all she was asked to do was pay the motortax she woud have paid if it had been re reg'd within 30 days. Denial of the exemption outright is more difficult as it's needed to ensure VRT does unfairly restrict free movement rights under the EU treaty. Although 8 years is excessive, I'll bet Ireland woudn't want to take the case given that it doesn't make it easy to know it's available (leaflets and websites in English only etc) and more leeway will be given to the individual than the State.

Advertisement