Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fare not displayed on Irish rail website.

• 02-01-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Im trying to commute from From Dublin Connolly to Drogheda (MacBride) tomorrow, but the website will not display the fare price to me when I search it. Would anyone know the exact fare for a return ticket between these two stations? (adult return ticket)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

Thats brilliant thanks! What counts as OffPeak commuter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Irish Rail website says -
    Off-peak Commuter Promotion available after 09:30hrs Monday to Saturday on all services except Tullamore 10:30hrs onwards, Portarlington 09:45hrs onwards and Gorey 08:20hrs onwards. Offer available all day Sunday to/from Dublin.

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=199

January wrote: »

I must be blind, thanks for that.

I've one more question though. I am completely useless when it comes to this sort of stuff and i am grateful for the help but if I leave for this route tomorrow will it count as the Off Peak Promotion and my ticket will cost €13?

I really do appreciate the help, I get very confused when This sort of information is handed to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

james142 wrote: »
    I must be blind, thanks for that.

I've one more question though. I am completely useless when it comes to this sort of stuff and i am grateful for the help but if I leave for this route tomorrow will it count as the Off Peak Promotion and my ticket will cost €13?

I really do appreciate the help, I get very confused when This sort of information is handed to me.
    Afaik you have to buy the off-peak promotion tickets from the booking office at the station. and you can't book this ticket online anyway, the site will not allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I think you're probably looking at €13-€15 during the week. I can never remember the price for it! :pac: It is very frustrating that irishrail.ie don't show the prices as it I often use the train during the holidays and there is a huge difference in price between the weekdays and weekends.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Afaik you have to buy the off-peak promotion tickets from the booking office at the station. and you can't book this ticket online anyway, the site will not allow it.
    I was planning on buying the tickets at the station so that shouldn't be a problem :)
    kingcobra wrote: »
    I think you're probably looking at €13-€15 during the week. I can never remember the price for it! :pac: It is very frustrating that irishrail.ie don't show the prices as it I often use the train during the holidays and there is a huge difference in price between the weekdays and weekends.

That price seems fair, gives me an idea on what the fare will be. Thanks :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Are you sure of that ? Have YOU PURCHASED such a ticket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

parsi wrote: »

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=199

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

parsi wrote: »

I know that you are banned now but to be fair to Foggy, he doesnt have to have made a purchase of any ticket to post a comment about them. The info is easily gathered online.

• Advertisement

I caught the train at around 12 the other day for €13.70 (from the station not online). The man behind the booking desk was charging me €22 until I showed him on the machine that the ticket was €13 because of the off peak promotion thing. He had no idea about it...

I caught the train at around 12 the other day for €13.70 (from the station not online). The man behind the booking desk was charging me €22 until I showed him on the machine that the ticket was €13 because of the off peak promotion thing. He had no idea about it...

Strange, the fare comes up on his machine when he enters the code for the journey. It would have printed the discount fare on the ticket. He doesnt deduct the discount ,the machine does it when the normal code is entered.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Strange, the fare comes up on his machine when he enters the code for the journey. It would have printed the discount fare on the ticket. He doesnt deduct the discount ,the machine does it when the normal code is entered.
    Is there a different code or price for commuter and intercity trains between the same stations? does the promotional fare only apply to commuter services?

Is there a different code or price for commuter and intercity trains between the same stations? does the promotional fare only apply to commuter services?

No, he would have entered the return fare code and the destination code and entered the relevant ticket(return,single,season etc )and the machine prints it. You then get on the next train that goes your way that stops there.
    Im open to correction though.

Hilly Bill wrote: »

He didnt use a computer or anything. In fact I don't remember seeing one there. He was reading off a clipboard he took off the wall. This was at Tara Street Station btw.

He didnt use a computer or anything. In fact I don't remember seeing one there. He was reading off a clipboard he took off the wall. This was at Tara Street Station btw.
    I wonder was he a ticket checker off a train who was sitting in for the ticket office guy for a few minutes? Did you see the machine he printed the ticket on? Was the printing on the ticket much smaller than usual? If so then it was printed using a mobile ticket machine used on board trains which afaik will not issue any ticket office discounts as they won't be programmed in.

Its the machine that issues the tickets in the booking office. I can see what happened now or potentially happened. He quoted the normal price based on the price list they have and may not have had the discount fare list at hand. He could have also checked by using the ticket machine which would have given the discount price if it was off peak.
    In Tara st, they have new staff so it could have been one of them as the reqular booking staff would or should have know about the off peak fare. Either way you got the correct fare.

I wonder was he a ticket checker off a train who was sitting in for the ticket office guy for a few minutes? Did you see the machine he printed the ticket on? Was the printing on the ticket much smaller than usual? If so then it was printed using a mobile ticket machine used on board trains which afaik will not issue any ticket office discounts as they won't be programmed in.

I doubt it very much , 1 because it was in tara st and 2 he would have used the machine in the booking office to issue the tickets.

He never printed the ticket for me. When he came out to see the price on the machine he said "fair enough" and walked back in. So I bought the ticket off the machine instead.

Advertisement