Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't remove window wiper arm - ideas?

• 14-02-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

The window wipers on the wife's Micra broke last weekend. The motor is fine, I've managed to get a look in under the fascia and a linkage has become disconnected. I managed to briefly reconnect it with some wrist gymnastics, but it popped off again when I put the wipers on full blast.

So in order to fix it I need to remove the wiper arms to get the fascia off and get in at the linkages. Except the bloody arms refuse to come off. I've unscrewed the fixing bolts, lifted the arm to remove the tension, but both of them seem to be seized to the splines. WD40, rocking them back and forth and hauling on them, using a spanner to lever from the bottom, even trying a plastic mallet to loosen them, nothing. Not even a hint of movement.

Anyone done this before, any ideas? :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

With the wiper arms up try press down on the hinged part of the arms and pull back up. Do that a few times. You can get a wiper arm pullers if your stuck. Less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Plug wrote: »
    With the wiper arms up try press down on the hinged part of the arms and pull back up. Do that a few times. You can get a wiper arm pullers if your stuck. Less than a tenner.
    Cheers, I'll give that another go, but I don't hold out hope. I saw a couple of pullers online, but people looking for €70. Where would I get one - motor factors?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Yeah motor factors or even Halfords I think. Don't be afraid to push down on that part of the arm too and wobble it with a bit of force.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Those fecken things can be a night-mare to remove. Two different metals in contact and they can react, effectively welding them together. Spray WD40 and use the Halfords wiper-arm remover otherwise you may chew the wiper-arm to bits with a vice-grips, just like I did :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

put the nut back on only slightly and then hit the nut with a hammer a few times it will shock it loose never fail,s me and im a windscreen fitter so have to remove a lot of wipers

• Advertisement

Cheers guys. Couldn't source a proper puller and still had no joy using force to get them off, but I saw this in Halford's and just knew it would work, which it did, perfectly.

Luckily I can also use it for separating the broken ball joint linkages in the wiper assembly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is a repair clip that is commonly used on the nissans. I dont know if this is the exact fault with yours but:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=nissan+wiper+linkage+repair&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Yeah, that's exactly what I've ordered, great cheap repair.

Advertisement