Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Middle-Aged Ambitions

• 01-06-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Having read this most Boardsies will think this log should be properly titled ‘How Not to Train for a Marathon’ and they would probably be right.

Asthma as a child, 40 years with no running, decided last June to run the 2010 Dublin marathon. Pulled out a plan from the RTE Guide for the very first marathon, 1980?, which showed how long I had harboured the ambition to run the race. From a zero base I trained for 16 weeks and by sticking to the pacers got around in just under the 4 hour target so was delighted with myself. Full of beans and confidence I then went out and picked up a knee injury two weeks later tearing down a hill far faster than was sensible and spent the winter nursing the injury and hurt pride.

Older and somewhat wiser, I started back in March and have been progressing well in terms of hitting race targets but not in disciplined training.

Confession time –

I start too fast
    I don’t warm up properly
    I don’t do tempo, intervals or strides
    I don’t cool down properly
    I only sometimes do stretches
    I nearly always push every run, long or short
    Time is not my own, 4 kids, hour each way commute

Positives –

I carry no excess weight (emphasis on ‘excess’ here:))
    I have had no injuries since last November

Despite the above, thanks to Meno and Oisin, managed a 1:44 Wexford half last week. This last was unplanned but a late addition as I had to go for shoulder surgery this week so am now on enforced ‘taper’ for at least 2/3 weeks and going off my head already.

So, with nothing else to do, thought I would start a training log, with no training in it for now, in the hope of getting a plan together to get me to the finish in Dublin in 30 minutes better than last year.

Have the P&D book and advice from my athletic surgeon ringing in my ears.

This could be the shortest log ever, if the healing doesn’t work out, or a redemption from the sins of my recent past…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hope you recover quickly from the recent surgery.

That was great running to go from zero miles to a sub4 in 16 weeks!

Best of luck with the log and training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Thanks RK.

Looking back on last year, ignorance was bliss, but I think the key to getting there was staying completely injury free. I don't think I lost a day with any kind of niggle the whole time.

Now I know more, I am much more conscious of what can happen but still have a hard time doing things the right way, but that's what this log is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck with it.
    You looked dead comfortable doing 1'44 in wexford, I am sure you had another 5 minutes if you wanted. 3'30 looks to be a reasonable target if you get over your surgery. All the best!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Best of luck with it.
    You looked dead comfortable doing 1'44 in wexford, I am sure you had another 5 minutes if you wanted. 3'30 looks to be a reasonable target if you get over your surgery. All the best!

Good luck with Monday in Cork, if you do the same good job pacing you will have a lot of happy campers. Would love to come along as a spectator but not allowed to drive. Hope it is 15C, cloudy, dry and no wind!

Day 9 of zero running.

Shoulder is healing cleanly, whether surgery will have proved to be effective or not, it is still early days. Have had the quietest week of my entire life the past 7 days, being right-handed with right shoulder surgery, pretty much everything I normally do is off limits bar small (as in 1/2 a mile) walks with the dogs. Working on the principle that early rest is good rest and trying to avoid setbacks.

Withdrawal symptoms - found reading the logs up to and since the Cork Marathon great but it was hard to not be able to put on the runners at any point. Was up early yesterday checking the weather and seeing how ideal it was. Would love to have been down for the atmosphere and to shout on a few locals and any Boards t-shirts that went by. Running is very much a participant sport.

Since March have put up the following first-run PBs -

10k - 49:51
    4 mile - 28:52
    5 mile - 35:21
    Half - 1:44:13

Delighted with them all as, particularly the half, they were all only incidental in a general marathon programme. This programme was a sort of couch to 26 mile plan for Dublin as I knew the surgery would crop up somewhere along the way. Now that is done, it is time to put together a more structured plan for whenever I get back on the road.

Now to sit down with a calender and P&D to see how 3:30:00 (less a few secs;)) is going to be achieved.

• Advertisement

3:30:00 is to be the target for Dublin, but is it realistic?

Day 10 of zero running, another 2 weeks of the same. 18 weeks to Dublin starts on 27th June, just over 2 weeks away. So if everything goes to plan I should be starting back on the road again - just in time.

According to McMillan, my 1:44 in the Wexford half will give me 3:40 in Dublin but as it was a stop-gap race ahead of the surgery and I didn't kill myself I think the time was a bit soft. Earlier 4, 5 and 7.5 mile races all gave me a McMillan time of 3:27 to 3:35 for the marathon so I think a 3:30 plan is reasonable, even if there will have been a 4 week layoff beforehand.

That's the thinking, P&D 18 weeks 55 mile plan, based on a 3:30 target pace.

Day 14 of zero running.

Human behavioural characteristics are amusing if looked at in a dispassionate way. Tell a friend you have a bad back, have had surgery, have been diagnosed with a little-known ailment, whatever, and, while never admitting to being expert in the condition, they will invariably have a story of someone they know or someone they have been told about with something similar who either did incredibly well or who had disastrous experience.

Which story you get depends on whether they feel you need to be cheered up or brought down to earth. I have had both, friends have given me the Lararus-type miracle cures while family are urging caution and describing the top 10 worst comebacks of all time - in glorious technicolor.

As the non-dispassionate recipient of all this good advice I am now working on a strategy of joining a silent order of monks and saying 'now't to nobody'.

Stuck at home, no work, driving, gardening, nothing, I have tried to keep off the calories but having seen the depths to which daytime TV has plumbed I am finding it very hard. Reading the A/R/T forum is both a blessing and a curse, great to see how well everyone else is doing but very hard to see all the lovely mornings and evenings of the the best days of the year passing by and doing nothing.

Special congrats to the WWR teams, by the way, on their brilliant performances yesterday. I'd say the craic was 90.

Looking out this morning at a miserable day I have another week of this purgatory before I dare pull on a pair of runners but, hey, it could be worse - it could be 2 weeks (thinking positive:))

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

slowsteady wrote: »
    Day 14 of zero running.

Human behavioural characteristics are amusing if looked at in a dispassionate way. Tell a friend you have a bad back, have had surgery, have been diagnosed with a little-known ailment, whatever, and, while never admitting to being expert in the condition, they will invariably have a story of someone they know or someone they have been told about with something similar who either did incredibly well or who had disastrous experience.

Ha i had to laugh when i read this as i know how you feel, i got the same when i was out injured and unable to run for 10 weeks this year. The worst thing about being in that situation is having to watch jeremy kyle every day. I did'nt mind ellen too much for some strange reason :confused::confused:

Looking out this morning at a miserable day I have another week of this purgatory before I dare pull on a pair of runners but, hey, it could be worse - it could be 2 weeks (thinking positive:))

Tis tough to stay positive slowsteady, but you are nearly there. I'm into my third week of idleness, and feeling every long slow day. I'm a pleasure to be around, now doubt :pac:

Day 23 of zero running.

Just over 3 weeks since the shoulder surgery.

Spent serious amounts of time looking up medical guidance, talking to doctors, etc about the dos and don'ts, whens and wheres of getting back. Consensus is that it takes 2 months :( to see any noticeable improvement in function, that you can go back to running/swimming after 2 weeks:), but you can't drive for a month:confused: - go figure.

However, after two quiet weeks the shoulder kicked up last week so it was as well that I had decided to give it another week of r & r. Now, three weeks in, I am still not happy so have decided to give it another week up to the 27th June, which is start date for the 18-week P&D plan. While I am mad to get back out on the road I know one bad setback will wipe out any chance of getting to Dublin and might well ruin the surgery.

The shoulder is fine during the day but is killing my sleep at night, hence the getting up at 4.45am on the longest day. The other thing killing me is that mornings and evenings get shorter from here on in and I have missed the best days of the year (July/August better be good:D)

Passing the time reading lots of running books - I'll be cross-eyed and broke before I get back on the road - roll on next weekend.

• Advertisement

Sorry to read that it's taking longer than you hoped to get back on the roads :( It's a frustrating process.

Having been good for almost four weeks I finally broke out ahead of the the start date for the P&D 18 week programme with a couple of 'looseners' as I was worried about what effect the running action would have on the shoulder.

Jun 22 - 2.7ml, 22:16, pace 8:20 - this was supposed to be gentle but I guess I got a bit carried away, no noticeable problems.
    Jun 23 - 5.3ml, 47:23, pace 8:57 - deliberately slower this time, felt aches and stiffness in all my joints, after less than 3 miles the previous day :eek: but nothing specific and all in the legs.
    Jun 25 - 5.3ml, 42:00, pace 7.56 - gave the body a rest after the previous run but let it rip a bit on this run. Was very pleased to hit the 8 min pace, nothing like fresh legs :)
    Jun 27 - First day of P&D programme - REST !! - managed this one :D
    Jun 28 - 6.0ml, 52:56, pace 8.55 - Shoulder was still causing problems in general life, nothing running related, but became suddenly cautious and decide to pass on the lactate and strides sessions (chicken!;)) for a couple of weeks for fear of agravating something. Therefore did a straightforward aerobic session, but included some hill work as a penance. Calves stiff as might be expected.
    Jun 30 - 5.3ml, 41:10, pace 7:47 - Was sucked in to do some charity work around the Tall Ships so time was at a premium and had to sneek out for this run. Let go to see where I was at and was pleased with the result. The month layoff had worried me as to how far back I would have gone but this gave me a bit of reassurance - stamina would be a different issue I was sure.
    Jul 2 - 8.3ml, 74:00, pace 8:53 - supposed to be a 4 mile recovery run but as I had short cut runs earlier in the week and knew tomorrow's 12 miler wasn't going to happen I stretched this one out. Felt lots of niggles in the legs but taking care not to roll the shoulders while running.
    Jul 3 - 7.0ml, 75:00 pace 10.43 - Down in Dunmore East to see the Tall Ships sail out and collect a few bob, great finale to a fabulous few days. Because of the traffic shutdown ended up being a 'gofor' back and forth to the carparks and clocked an unexpected few jogging miles in the blazing heat.
    Jul 4 - 5.3ml, 44.06, pace 8.20 - easy run, aimed for 8:20 and actually hit it, correct pace per the programme should be 8:40 but got carried away.
    Jul 6 - 10.1ml, 90.22, pace 8.58 - aerobic run at 9.15, got up early, fantastic morning found pace easy so ended up ahead overall
    Jul 8 - 5.3ml, 41:41, pace 7:52 - tried this at marathon pace - and succeeded - found the legs good after the 10 miler so gave them a bit of stick
    Jul 9 - 5.3ml, 46:46, pace 8:50 - back to the plan, this was to be a 5 mile recovery at 9:30 but I find it very hard to run at any pace slower than 9 minutes, I have a tendency to shuffle rather than run and I find this very hard - need to improve in this area "Slow runs, slow"
    Jul 10 - 12.7ml, 108:24, pace 8:31 - first long run of the plan, for me anyway, 13 miles with 8 at PMP. My planned marathon pace is 7:50 but that is for October not now :) - so what pace today? - as my last half was at around 8:30 and I had little mileage under my belt since then I felt this would be a good target. Out at dawn, lovely day, started slow and felt the past couple of days in the legs after the first few miles, nearly called it off but gritted the teeth and ground out the last 10 miles. Found each and every mile hard but stuck to the pace with the Garmin and got there in the end.

Overall after two weeks back on the road I am happy enough with progress. The shoulder is not good in the general sense but not impeding the running so far. Need to try and stick closer to the programme in the coming weeks but given I have come back off a month layoff will stay adaptable until I establish a better base. Passed 400 miles for the year today - only another 725 to go in the plan!! :eek:

Wow, you certainly got back into training no bother!

Hope the shoulder comes right for you asap.

RubyK wrote: »
    Wow, you certainly got back into training no bother!

Hope the shoulder comes right for you asap.

'No bother' is stretching it - by quite a bit!

The legs are going well, yes, but I am still treading on eggshells (if that make any sense) with the shoulder - it is still not back, even to where it was before the operation. I'm told two to six months recovery and I can well believe it. I have a sinking feeling that the operation has not worked but will reserve judgement for another month or so. In the meantime being back on the road is giving me a bit of sanity.

Glad today is a rest day after yesterday's 13 miles, the legs are knackered!!

Sorry to see your comeback is proving erratic, all you can do is dig in there and persist.

Aerobic run, 10.09 miles, 1:24:34, 8:23 pace

After a 13 mile run with 8 at marathon pace on Sunday and a rest day yesterday I needed to put in a 10 mile aerobic run today but as I was going to be working late tonight I needed to fit it in this morning.

Doing the maths, needed to be at work for 8am, 45 minute commute, breakfast, shower, run, OK up at 5.10am!! :eek: - are we mad or what?

Up before the alarm, slipped out so as not to disturb OH, 4 kids, 2 dogs and the cat. Lovely morning, calm, cool, no sun.

Started out briskly enough, legs felt heavy but ignored that and pushed on. Timetable I had set myself left no room for slippage so kept up the tempo and only occasionally looked at the Garmin. Calves protested for most of the run but kept going out to the finish, showered, breakfast, car, work and on with the day.

Only now had a chance to look at the Garmin. Supposed to be an aerobic run which for me is 9:00 to 9:15 pace and come in with 8:23 :o - no wonder it felt tougher than it should!

I have always had a problem with slow paced runs, if it is not hurting, I am not trying - need to try harder - at not trying!

Plan says a 4 mile recovery at 9:15 to 9:30 tomorrow - so we will see how close I can get to that.

Lactate run 4 @ Half Mara pace - 8.3 miles, 1:07:39, 8.07 pace

Passed on yesterday's 4 mile recovery as my shoulder, which had been niggling all day, flared up last night and rather than chance running I dosed up on ibuprofen and went to bed hoping for the best.

Today it was fairly fragile and sensitive but more from whatever went on yesterday than anything else so I decided to risk a run today.

This run was meant to be at lactate pace with 4 miles at half marathon which for me would be (in theory) 7:30. I was not looking forward to this but wanted to try it out and see how I got on. It was very hot and humid this evening and given the past couple of days with the shoulder I decided to scale back the pace and push without a specific target in mind. Went out slowly, the legs felt stiff from the last run and probably needed the missed recovery miles but covered the first 3 miles in 8:10, too fast, then tried to hit the 4 HMP miles but struggled all the way and only managed an average of 7:44, ran the last 1.3 miles as a cooldown (sun, no wind, 21C :rolleyes:) at 9.24. Pleased enough, sweated buckets, but came home and ate for Ireland so undid all the good!!

Rest day tomorrow, which is just as well as taking the kids to HP so lots of sweets, popcorn, fizzy drinks, etc to stretch the waistline another notch. 4 mile recovery on Saturday to knock it off again (will probably need Sunday's 14 miles and half of next week as well :D:D)

After yesterday's scare, happy to have done today and have a couple of easy days to give the shoulder a bit more rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

Savage mileage recently fair play!

Your like me with running too fast. Trying to reel myself in and do more miles in 8:30-9:00 range.

What races have you planned before DCM?

Trying to stick to the P&D 18-week plan, have made it up as I went along previously, so having a serious go at this. Pacing is an issue all the time so need to work on that for a couple of weeks.

Races are an issue, reluctant to go into any too early as I find it hard to hold back, which is why I passed up tomorrow's 5 miler in Dublin. Have a list of 13 races between now and DCM, mainly local 5 and 10 milers, couple of half marathons including Dublin and Waterford in September. I know I won't do them all, first race up is not till end of July. Purpose will be to track progress towards 3:30 in October.

All going well aims will be as follows -

5 Mile 30:00
    10 mile 76:00
    Half 1:40:00

Here's hoping!!

Recovery - 5.3 miles, 46:53, pace 8:51

While the rest of Ireland was headed to Dublin for a similar 5 miler I was out trying to behave and keep to a 9 minute plus pace.

I have to confess I find these runs hard to do. First of all I do them alone as my opportunities to plan runs is limited and early morning is my best opening. Second, I am out of the habit of bringing the i-pod so that I can concentrate better on my pace, as I tend to churn out the one pace otherwise. Third, because I am not pushing the legs I find the niggles come to the fore and I am never sure are they serious or not.

Today, for example, first my right heel kicked up so that I ended up running on my toes for a half mile or so, then it was my calves which I put down to the hard runs during the week still in the legs, then the left hamstring tightened up (probably because of the tip-toeing earlier). It all does my head in as I know that underneath there is nothing wrong.

Anyway, lovely morning again, great to be alive and out running!!

Medium run, 14.0 miles, 2 hours (less 11 secs!), pace 8:34

Target was to run at 8.50 pace.

Deja vu today, having dismissed pain in my right heel yesterday which I solved by speeding up it came back again after 2 miles this morning, solution was to speed up even more so did the next 3 miles at 8.15 pace until the pain eased. Thought at one point I might have to stop and hobble home but glad I stuck it out.

Legs were stiff after what has been a heavy enough week (50 miles including last Sunday) and after only 3 weeks back on the road I'd say the 4 weeks of idleness previously is telling.

Good run, pleasant morning, the rain which threatened held off.

Week 3 of P&D plan completed, only 6 miles short of schedule, overall a happy bunny.:)

• Advertisement

Aerobic, 8.32 miles, 1:08:19, pace 8:12

Anyone reading this log will know I have issues with pacing and have zero experience of strides, lactate runs, speed work, etc. Since starting the P&D programme I have avoided any of these runs citing a fear of causing issues with my shoulder (it's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :p).

Today, I was to do 8 miles ay aerobic pace with 10 x 100 strides so bit the bullet and said I would have a go. My right heel which was causing problems early in my last 2 runs started off again so I used the same solution - speed up and run more on my toes - so the first couple of miles were covered at 7:40 pace.

Being cute I said I would do the strides on the down hill parts of my run, easier, wrong:o. It meant I went a lot faster than I would have otherwise and by the time I had 4 done I was ready to die, all I could think of was how was I going to do the other six!

I cut the recovery pace back to 8:45 to 9:00 (not hard!) and spread out the remaining strides, this time keeping them for the flatter parts of the road. By the time I was finished I knew I had been in a battle but the second half of the run was not the issue I thought it was going to be after the first few miles.

Legs know all about it now but will see how they recover in the next couple of days. Upper arm rather than the shoulder was aching more than usual but not too bad now so I thing it will be OK.

Next strides session not for two weeks TG!!, back to plodding for the rest of the week - looking forward to it:)

Recovery, 5.3 miles, 42:19, pace 8:00

What a difference a year makes.

It was July last year that I first pulled on a pair of runners for the first time on a regular basis in many, many years and today I repeated the loop I started on back then. 5.3 miles in 48/49/50 minutes, an odd 47 thrown in on a good day, rarely getting around without a stop to admire the view!

Today, a relaxed enough run in 42 minutes. Not good though, for the right reasons, supposed to be a recovery run at 9:15 to 9:30 pace but run off at 8:00 :o I need to get these right but running alone it is easy to push on. Will probably pay in tomorrow's 10-miler.

Weather good, legs good, life OK.

Aerobic, 10.09 miles, 81:20, pace 8:00

Done it again tonight, supposed to be aerobic, i.e. 9:00 plus, but bang it out at 8:00. The start of my run is downhill for the first half mile so the brakes are on but when I hit the flat the tempo tends to continue and I tend to drive into every hill as I feel it is good for the legs - result - slow runs too fast.

Note to self - LSR on Sunday at 9:00 only.

Warm tonight and due to get much warmer so next week could be interesting, I don't do heat.

Quick way to lose weight - Give Blood. Went down the Blood Bank after the run to give a donation, another 1.1 lbs down, mind you the biscuits and cup of tea balanced it up. (PC gone mad, really miss the small bottle of the black stuff afterwards, not the same in the pub).

Be interesting to see if it has any effect on the next few runs, I tend to recover fairly well but more slowly as the years go by.

Recovery, 5.3 miles, 48:53, pace 9:14

Two posts ago I spoke about how impoved I was compared to this time last year. Today was so bad I ended up walking :o. I had half planned to skip this run but it was such a lovely morning, sunshine, blue skies I decided to go out and just enjoy a slow run. I was very good (for a change) and set out slowly but my usual issues arose, heels were aching, then knees, hips, calves etc. Not pushing a run seems to give me time to analyse every niggle and mentally makes everything hard work. Even when I tried to up the pace a bit there was no life in the legs and the harder I tried the less energy there seemed to be. Finally in the last mile, which is significantly uphill, 160ft, the legs finally ran out of battery and I had to walk - OK, it was only for 20 seconds - but this hasn't happened in so long I can't remember.

Possible explanation below, but the above could make tomorrow's LSR interesting.

Breech of faith:D

Confession time. She was very nice; long, slim, sleek and polished, looking gorgeous in red with an allure promising a good time... ...even panderered to the weakness of modern man, Mammon, the desire for good things... and was she fast!... the wind in your hair, sun on your back...had a great evening... with the promise of more to come...

OK, I bought a bike. Having been thinking about it for some time, finally took the plunge and invested via the Bike to Work scheme. Picked it up last night and as it was a rest night from the running went off for a 25k cycle. The technology leap since my last machine is unreal and the use of atrophied leg muscles is probably equally a shock. While I didn't feel the cycle had much effect on today's run, who knows. A more likely cause of the battery deficit was the blood donation Thursday night - must go and savage a sheep (or a Big Mac!!) and get some red meat into the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Recovery, 5.3 miles, 48:53, pace 9:14

Two posts ago I spoke about how impoved I was compared to this time last year. Today was so bad I ended up walking :o. I had half planned to skip this run but it was such a lovely morning, sunshine, blue skies I decided to go out and just enjoy a slow run. I was very good (for a change) and set out slowly but my usual issues arose, heels were aching, then knees, hips, calves etc. Not pushing a run seems to give me time to analyse every niggle and mentally makes everything hard work.

Do you wear inserts at all? This used to happen to me until i put in gel arch supports that i got in elverys. My heel still gets sore if i dont wear them at work then go for a run but if i wear them 90% of the time my heel doesnt get sore.

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Do you wear inserts at all?

I think it is just the slow running and my mind working overtime as a consequence. Part of it is, I think, that because of the slow pacing I am inclined to heel-strike rather than landing mid-foot and that is what is causing the problem.

Either I find a way around that or I might give the inserts a go.

LSR, 15 miles, 2hr 17:43, pace 9:09

Hard, hard run.

Pizza, bottle of wine, humidity, blood donation - all can be used to explain why this felt so tough this morning, but it was pure grind from start to finish.

Hardest run I can ever remember. Glad its over, move on.

Rest day tomorrow, badly needed.

PMP run, 8.3 miles, 1:08:59, 8:17 pace

Given the past couple of runs this was always going to be difficult. The target pace should be 7:50 but this was never on the cards so I went out as hard as possible and have to be happy with the result.

Legs are totally lacking in energy almost as if the batteries are flat. Given the contrast with last week it has to be the blood donation (I hope:eek:) and it should come right. Today was definitely easier than Sunday but was still very tough.

I had planned to try a 10 mile race next Sunday as the plan includes 10 miles at PMP so it would fit in well, but now I am not too sure. I think I will hold fire until later in the week to decide.

Recovery, 5.3 miles, 44:59, pace 8:30

A week or two ago I had trouble keeping the pace down on this type of run, no longer, it is nearly the opposite problem, keeping going at all.

Legs are completely gone at the moment, head is no better, everything is a struggle. Started this run in reasonable shape at 8:15 pace but drifted from there and was struggling to hold 8:45 for the last 2 miles - not good, not good at all.

Not sure what to do, rest for a few days or grind it out and hope it comes right. At this moment feel I need to grit the teeth and keep going or marathon plan will go up in smoke, doing well so far, planned mileage 165 miles, actual 161. Quantity OK, quality not so good.:(

• Advertisement

Aerobic, 10.1 miles, 1:24:02, pace 8:20

This log is turning into one long moan of recent times, need to change that but first one final whinge:D Being the gentleman I opened a door for a member of the fairer sex and pulled something in the dodgy shoulder which continued to throb all day and during tonight's run. Hopefully nothing a good night's sleep won't cure but I think the Ibuprofen will be hit on the way to bed (or maybe now!).

While this run should be done at a more relaxed pace my last few sessions have been so poor I wanted to get out and push to see if there is any pick up at all in the legs ahead of the weekend. Kept the pace at around 8:05 for the first 5 miles but then the drift began so that I averaged only 8:40 for the second half. By the end the legs were completely shot but at least I kept going, only just.

Overall reasonably happy as there seems to be some improvement on earlier in the week but way off where I wanted to be. Thinking of passing on the recovery run on Saturday after tomorrow's rest day in the hopes the legs might be fresh enough to do a 10 mile race on Sunday justice - I don't just want to turn up. If this was to work out I have a race in mind for each of the following 3 weekends, this solo training is all very well but it would be nice to see some fellow masochists once in a while.

This will be the first major departure from the P&D plan but each one should be individual so from now on mine is going to be 'based on' P&D:)

Advertisement