Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence needed for a moped?

• 28-12-2008 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I had a moped about 5 years ago now but never got round to getting a full licence. The thing is I am now considering getting another one if I move into town. I've a full B licence dose this allow me to ride a moped? Cant remember where but i heard this before somewhere.

...and another thing do you have to do 16 hrs CBT now before you can get a provisional for a bike these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Mopeds and motorbikes now require their own licence. A car licence for example, no longer allows you to drive a moped as it previously did.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,848 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mopeds and motorbikes now require their own licence. A car licence for example, no longer allows you to drive a moped as it previously did.

A full B licence issued before Oct 06 still allows you to drive a moped. If you don't have that then you'll need to do the theory test for Bikes and apply for a licence.
    dceire wrote: »
    I had a moped about 5 years ago now but never got round to getting a full licence. The thing is I am now considering getting another one if I move into town. I've a full B licence dose this allow me to ride a moped? Cant remember where but i heard this before somewhere.

...and another thing do you have to do 16 hrs CBT now before you can get a provisional for a bike these days?

Even if your only going to be riding a moped and if you need to get a licence I'd advise you to go for an A. You can get lessons and do the test on a school bike so don't need a proper bike. Don't forget that a M licence or moped on a B licence is restricted to less then 49cc and can't exceed 45km/h.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dceire wrote: »

No, you just have to pass the theory test to get your learner permit. I did mine a few weeks ago. I got the official CD and just did a practise test over and over again until I was consistently getting a good mark. Most of it is common sense, and general motoring theory that you should already know with a B license, but spend a bit of time on the bike specific questions (controls, road position and all that stuff).

Advertisement