Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Salute ?

• 25-06-2015 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭

The following image made me genuinely curious as to when and where is it appropriate for a member of AGS to salute something/flag/funeral and when or where it is inappropriate for member to salute etc

Image shows a Traffic Corps member salute the coffin of one of the Berkeley victims arrival home earlier this week.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

D Trent wrote: »
    The following image made me genuinely curious as to when and where is it appropriate for a member of AGS to salute something/flag/funeral and when or where it is inappropriate for member to salute etc

Image shows a Traffic Corps member salute the coffin of one of the Berkeley victims arrival home earlier this week.

Thoughts ?

He showing respect to someone, what's the problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

they didn't say there was a problem with it, the OP just asked when and where is it appropriate for members to salute.

salmocab wrote: »
    they didn't say there was a problem with it, the OP just asked when and where is it appropriate for members to salute.

Actually he linked a specific PIC, then asked where it was appropriate and inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

bravestar wrote: »
    Actually he linked a specific PIC, then asked where it was appropriate and inappropriate.

He linked a pic and asked when and where is it appropriate for a member of AGS to salute, he didn't give an opinion on the pic just that it made him curious as to when or where it was appropriate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

We get it, you're outraged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Harry Bosch.

I understand and respect why this member did this, is there anything wrong in what he did,no absolutely not. The question is a valid one, i do think its a custom lost within An Garda Siochana. The salute would normally be for higher ranks within organisations with a rank structure, Defence forces, An Garda Siochana, Fire service etc. It would be more prevalent in the Army but less so in say An Garda Siochana. While it was thought to us in Templemore i have only saluted senior officers twice in Eight years, one officer looked at me funny and one half assed a return salute. I will not do it again. I saluted retired members of the Defence forces at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham a few years back and those veterans never lost it."long way up, short way down'. In my opinion a salute should be reserved for those who currently serve, who have served or as a mark of respect to deceased members of any organisation where a salute is custom. In this instance i would have stood at attention but not salute.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Gardai are required (according to their regulations) to salute a Garda or Army Officer, member of the Cabinet, the President. At funerals they are required to either salute the coffin or remove their headdress and stand at attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Lmklad wrote: »
    Gardai are required (according to their regulations) to salute a Garda or Army Officer, member of the Cabinet, the President. At funerals they are required to either salute the coffin or remove their headdress and stand at attention.

At all funerals they attend in all uniform?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

At all funerals they attend in all uniform?
    Possibly just for fellow Gardaí who died in the line of duty. I can't link now but look up images of Garda Donohoe's funeral.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

AFAIK Members of the DF are supposed to salute Garda officers of higher rank... I know I was on a parade once in which the OC gave eyes right as a very senior garda was in attendance as we marched past and he saluted in return.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Possibly just for fellow Gardaí who died in the line of duty. I can't link now but look up images of Garda Donohoe's funeral.

I can imagine that they saluted Garda Donohoe's remains as he gave his life for their job, and if a Garda is in dress uniform I'd understand it, but if they are there to do traffic management, I am not sure if a salute is appropriate at any funeral. They could be at the funeral of a gangster.

I can imagine that they saluted Garda Donohoe's remains as he gave his life for their job, and if a Garda is in dress uniform I'd understand it, but if they are there to do traffic management, I am not sure if a salute is appropriate at any funeral. They could be at the funeral of a gangster.

You really think a garda is going to salute a gangster at his funeral ...

You really think a garda is going to salute a gangster at his funeral ...

Of course I don't. I am questioning the earlier post which states that at a funeral, a Garda must salute the coffin or stand to attention. I am providing a scenario where that would be ridiculous. It isn't hard to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Yeah keep up bravestar

Yeah keep up bravestar

It goes back to your original question D.

The Garda in question salutes.

Is it a Garda's responsibility or duty to salute a coffin of some kids who died in a senseless tragedy, although they weren't serving the state?

Is it the individual saluting, representing himself?

And what differentiates the two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

My OP was mistaken by some that I had an issue with the Traffic Corps Garda saluting the coffin of one of Berkeley victims.
    It's absolutely not the case.
    I was just more curious to Garda salutations after seeing the photo in a newspaper

My OP was mistaken by some that I had an issue with the Traffic Corps Garda saluting the coffin of one of Berkeley victims.
    It's absolutely not the case.
    I was just more curious to Garda salutations after seeing the photo in a newspaper

I think it's interesting as well. I could understand it a bit more if a Garda was in dress uniform, but Hi Viz doesn't seem appropriate for a salute.

I was thinking that maybe a flag draped coffin should be saluted, but then we have seen so many funerals where the coffin has a flag and is accompanied by a load of IRA types.

I'd say that the occasion has just moved this guy to do it but it is not based on any official protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

There is a video/ film clip of a British Army soldier on an armoured vehicle (I think) saluting an IRA volunteers funeral (1970's). When I was in the FCA we were told that if in uniform and alone and a funeral passed we were to stand to attention and salute the coffin, if in a group everyone stood at attention and most senior gave the salute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I used to simply remove my cap while the funeral was passing. I never thought a salute was necessary at a civilian funeral but don't see any problem with it either.

Saluting seems to be a thing of the past in AGS. When I was in Templemore we had to salute anyone from Inspector rank up so there was a hell of a lot of saluting going on but its rare to see any saluting in Templemore now.

Last time I saluted a senior officer was at the conclusion of my promotion interview but these days you don't know if your making the officer feel awkward or yourself look stupid.

It worked for me anyway - I got the promotion.

Advertisement