Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upskilling to Irish Paramedic

• 05-07-2015 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for some help if anyone in the know can help.

I'm currently an EMT in Ireland. As most of you probably know that EMT jobs in Ireland are few and far between. Due to family etc. I do not have the time or freedom to do a paramedic programme in the UK.

I note and have heard cases (unconfirmed) of the UK technician level being the equivalent of Irish paramedic level.

In a nutshell what I'm asking is, if I upskill to UK EMT, will PHECC recognise as equivalent of Irish paramedic.

If not, any hints or tips as a workaround without leaving the country for many months or years to qualify as a paramedic would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

searescue wrote: »
    Hi

In a nutshell what I'm asking is, if I upskill to UK EMT, will PHECC recognise as equivalent of Irish paramedic.

If not, any hints or tips as a workaround without leaving the country for many months or years to qualify as a paramedic would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

In a nutshell, no :-)

There is no hints or tips basically, no fast way around it. Currently the only guaranteed way to reach paramedic level is to do a recognised paramedic level course in Ireland (which is only DFB/HSE). Outside of that PHECC do award it but on a case by case basis, and there are no remote paramedic courses afaik as all require clinical practice. To be put on the register as a paramedic in Ireland you need to prove your education and training meets or exceeds phecc's requirements, so will need a substantial piece of frontline experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭tastyt

It really is a joke in this day and age that you cannot be proactive in this country and go to third level to study to be a paramedic. Instead you have to wait around for a shambles of a health system and government to run a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

searescue wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Looking for some help if anyone in the know can help.

I'm currently an EMT in Ireland. As most of you probably know that EMT jobs in Ireland are few and far between. Due to family etc. I do not have the time or freedom to do a paramedic programme in the UK.

I note and have heard cases (unconfirmed) of the UK technician level being the equivalent of Irish paramedic level.

Thanks in advance.

A nurse with a van is all he is.

Cleveland Show :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

This is the phecc paramedic training standard if you train outside Ireland you need to show phecc you meet this standard including on road frontline experience it's not just as simple as saying I'm trained in the same skills so give me a phecc paramedic cert you must show you have trained to the same standard and have the same experience

http://www.phecit.ie/Images/PHECC/Career%20and%20Education/Education%20Standards/STN015%20-Paramedic%20Education%20and%20Training%20Standard-V1.pdf

Put very ROUGHLY of the top of my head you need to show you did about
    12 weeks training meeting the phecc standard for paramedic
    5weeks hospital placements
    15 weeks 3rd person ambulance placements
    And a 1 year internship working frontline at the end

If you cannot show you meet all of this then you are out of luck really
    As I said only a small part is being shown the skills a lot of it is gaining experience

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FTT2004

sjb25 is correct but don't forget that at the end of your year internship you also have a portfolio to present and a panel exam where you're quizzed on those calls, your continuing professional competency etc. A paramedic in Ireland is relatively new and we still get called ambulance men, ambulance driver, ambulance attendant etc. by everyone from AGS to nurses etc. Its complex to say the least the rationale behind not aligning with other services and their definitions of a "paramedic" and something thats way too long and boring for boards.....

Just remember that if you do enter the job, there is no guarantee as to where you'll be deployed to. There is no consideration for family ties with actual examples of people from Sligo, Donegal, Cork etc. being posted to the exact opposite end of the country due to operational demand for a class when they commence their internship year.

FTT

• Advertisement
Advertisement